destination out of fuel range, search for gas station. yes or no?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
motorider78
United States of America

destination out of fuel range, search for gas station. yes or no?

Post by motorider78 »

Hello friendly zumo users. First post here, but far from my first time on a forum.

I have a new Zumo xt and am having a constant issue that I cannot figure out. I have scoured the web to find nothing, but I found this place.

It took me a bit to figure out what was triggering the "destination out of range, search for gas station?" question So if I set a route to say home. I decide to go a different way other than what garmin wants, it will continue to say make a u turn for a bit, then it will eventually recalculate. This is where the problem begins. It will then begin to ask me to look for a gas station. It will say destination out of fuel range. Search for gas station? yes or no. I pick no then 10 seconds later it will pop it up again and again until I end the navigation. It will go away until it has to recalculate and then it will go right back into this stupid loop where it will do nothing except ask the question over and over. In fact it did this less than 1 mile after it asked me if I had just completed a fuel stop to which I answered yes. Its so frustrating that Im about to give it away.

One other issue I had when I got home from my 1200 mile ride tonight is that when I went to save my track data, the unit shut down. The battery was fully charged. It just shut off after like a 5 min timeout as I answered a phone call. When I came back to the GPS, it was off. I turned it on and much to my dismay, the track data I was trying to save was deleted from the device. All I had left was the 15 recordings that were small and unsaved. Ugh. Why did it just delete my track data?

I have not even tried to use the basecamp features yet.
HarveyM
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times
Canada

Re: destination out of fuel range, search for gas station. yes or no?

Post by HarveyM »

Any reason why you don't just turn the Zumo's fuel tracking off? My Honda has endless options to measure how much fuel is in the tank, (gas gauge, fuel consumed from ECU info) & how fast you're using it. Plus if you use the XT's up ahead pane you're have the distance to the next gas station (& probably the one after that) available.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Your track data is most likely still on the XT, however you will need to connect it to a computer/Basecamp to retrieve it.
I've noticed on my 2500 mile trip this year that it only kept a limited # of track files in the operations folder(accessible to the screen).
As a track is removed from this 'active' folder it is moved to an 'archive' folder that is only accessible thru a computer connection.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the Forums @motorider78

motorider78 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:47 am
So if I set a route to say home. I decide to go a different way other than what garmin wants, it will continue to say make a u turn for a bit, then it will eventually recalculate.
This is normal behaviour - it recalculates as soon as you have gone off route and sometimes suggests a U-Turn. There is a skipbutton on the screen which will tell it to ignore the next route point that it is aiming for - it will then head for the route point after that.

If you haven't got any route points, other than your destination, you just have to put up with it telling you to go back until it decides it is faster to go the way that you are going. There is a mixer in the volume control, and you can turn down the navigation instructions without affecting the other volumes.

----
It just so happens that going away from the previous route meant that you were traveling further to your destination - which just so happened to exceed the figure that it has for how far you can get on a tankful, how far it has calculated that you have gone on this tank, and how far you have got to go to your destination.

Deviating from the plotted route triggered the fuel issue, but only because it thought you would run out of fue before you got there. It won't always happen when you deviate fromt he route. And certainly it wont happen if you trun the fuel nagging feature off:

The Fuel Feature can be turned off - Apps -> Fuel Settings where there a number of options. It needs to be in the motorcycle mount with the ignition turned on to be able to Disable or allow it to suggest fuel stops.

----------

If you have the feature turned on, the XT always records where you have been and keeps an file which can be found in
Internal Memory / GPX / CurrentTrackLog.gpx

When this becomes full, it is transferred to Internal Memory / GPX / Archive / and given a sequence number - 1.gpx, 2.gpx and so on.
CurrentTrackLog.gpx is repleced with a new empty file, which gets added to as you ride along.

The biggest numbered archive file contains the last large log file, but the Current Track log will contain the most recent hours of riding.

Eventaully, the XT stops increasing the number of files in the Archive Folder and starts to delete the oldes every time it add a new one.

The 590 used to keep the file count to 20. I have read that the XT keeps 6 months of logs - but it didn't make it clear whether it was referring to the Archive folder or to tracks that you have created by activating the Record Track facility. So at presn, I don't know. I'm only up to 10.gpx in my archive - due to a very limited amount of riding this year.

The automatic recording of track logs has to be turned on - though I think it is on by default - Settings -> Device -> Travel History
Tracks of where you have been can be shown on the map - Settings -> Map & Vehicle -> Map Layers -> Travel History

The track logs on the Zumo show up in one of the basecamp windows, where you can load a track, see where you have been on the map and display the date that it shows - and draw graphs of speed and elevation. That's a different lesson !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.