Cannot open GE

wjbertrand
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Cannot open GE

Post by wjbertrand »

It's been a problem for the last few versions, including the latest one. I can download and install GE, apparently normally, but the program will not launch. The banner appears briefly then disappears and the program never opens. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, tried installing and opening it as an administrator. Turning off virus protection software doesn't work either. I'm running an HP PC with Win 10. Any ideas? I have no problem opening GE on my Surface tablet, also running WIn 10. :?
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
biz
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Cannot open GE

Post by biz »

I had a similar problem, solved by installing an older version of GE and then upgrading.
wjbertrand
United States of America

Post by wjbertrand »

Thanks, forgot to mention that I tried that too. As I said this problem goes back at least the last 4 revisions.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
biz
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by biz »

wjbertrand wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:24 pm Thanks, forgot to mention that I tried that too. As I said this problem goes back at least the last 4 revisions.
I think I had to go back further than that!
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've had that a few times. Each time it has been because some fragment of the program is still running in the background.

Task Manager CTRL ALT DEL and get rid of anything Garmin - including and especially the program that sits in the background checking if the Zumo has been plugged in. So any Basecamp, any Express, any Mapsource, any MapInstall, POI Loader. Right click on each one and End Task. Make sure your Zumo is unplugged first, and any SD cards that might be plugged in that the system may think is a Zumo.

Hopefully someone will chime in with how to stop the Garmin Express 'service' from always loading to run in the background. There is an option on the gear icon in the top right corner, under the 'General' settings. But you need to have Express loaded and running before you can access that. Catch 22.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
wjbertrand
United States of America

Post by wjbertrand »

Thanks, I’ll try that
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA