Edit Trip (waypoints) during navigation.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
MakoShark2
Been liked: 5 times
Portugal

Edit Trip (waypoints) during navigation.

Post by MakoShark2 »

I'm think it's not possible and it's not a real issue either but just checking...

Let's say I want to delete all remaining waypoints up to destination on my active Trip (which I'm navigating).
Is it possible to do this without getting in the Trip Planner and editing the route?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: Edit Trip (waypoints) during navigation.

Post by rbentnail »

I don't have an XT but I can touch the wrench bottom right, change route, delete next destination, YES. The route will recalculate each time. Do it for each point.

Do you have something like that?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
MakoShark2
Been liked: 5 times
Portugal

Post by MakoShark2 »

Yes, I'm able to delete the next waypoint and add a shaping point.

But I was looking something like the Trip Planner which allows to edit directly the waypoint list.

I can always go to the Trip Planner and edit the list, but it seems it would be a nice feature to have this in the wrench menu.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

MakoShark2 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:48 pm
But I was looking something like the Trip Planner which allows to edit directly the waypoint list.
If you make the end of the trip a Waypoint, it will be in the Favorites, or Saved Places, whatever it is called. You could stop the route and just select the Waypoint and Go There.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

@MSTOCK27370 - makes an excellent point.

Even if you didn't make the end point as a waypoint you can reload the route and select the end point as the next destination. You can do this to get to any Via Point that is in the trip. That will ignore any route points before the selected Via Point, but will follow the points in the trip from the selected Via to the end.

If you don't have many route points, repeated use of skip will delete the next route point from the trip.

A comment from a post a little earlier. Beware using the trip editor to change a Via point flag to a shaping point. The XT has a 'feature' which will often move the point to a new location and rename it.

However - It works ok if you change a shaping point to a Via point - which can be handy if you want to jump into the trip at a particular route point. Change it to a Via, restart the trip, select the new Via as the next destination.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

MakoShark2 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:48 pm Yes, I'm able to delete the next waypoint and add a shaping point.
Comment - garmin uses the term 'Waypoint' differently from the way many people use it. A waypoint is not simply a point in a trip. It is a saved location or a favourite. Points in trips are either Via Points or Shaping Points. A saved location ( a waypoint) will be one if those two when it is placed in a trip or route.
MakoShark2 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:48 pm But I was looking something like the Trip Planner which allows to edit directly the waypoint list.
I dont have my XT at hand to check the detail but I will come back and correct this if it is wrong.

No corrections necessary - this following is correct.

When the trip list is displayed on the screen, you can tap one of the route points and a menu will open up under the tapped point. The + button allows a new point to be added. There is an obvious bin / delete button. The button that shows an up and down arrow opens up a new screen which allows any of the route points to be dragged to a different position.

The double arrow option doesn't always appear. I think you have to tap the start point or a via point. Shaping points and the end point do not give access to the double arrow. How the Zumo behaves when navigating depends very much on whether a point is a Via Point or a Shaping Point. Not on whether it is a Waypoint.

Waypoint can be handy to have:
They appear in the list of Favourites / Stored Locations.
They are the only points in the Gpx file that the XT will not rename.

I think this works on an active route, but cannot be certain about that until I am reunited with my XT.
Yes - it does work on an active route, but you have to back out of the route to the main menu, then:

Apps->TripPlanner->Saved Trips->My Active Route - and it lets you do all of the above to the route that it is currently running.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.