660 LM not announcing turns

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
Yodac
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

660 LM not announcing turns

Post by Yodac »

My 660LM has stopped announcing turns. Maps are working just fine. Any suggestions?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: 660 LM not announcing turns

Post by rbentnail »

Media on? Volume turned up? Shaping vs via points? Any updates lately? Or a hard reset?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Yodac
United States of America

Post by Yodac »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:34 am Media on? Volume turned up? Shaping vs via points? Any updates lately? Or a hard reset?
Music works fine. I hear beeps when things are selected but no voice, Changed language and still no voice commands. I have way points. Did the reset by holding lower right screen when powering on still no voice commands. Did the 8 second hold power button still no voice commands. If I just enter an address and drive there in the car sill no voice commands. Always update when prompted. Planning a trip to VA this week and sure would like to hear the directions. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Don't know about your specific device model but 2 of mine have separate volume controls for media (music) and instructions. It's a little confusing to me b/c there's a "Master" volume control that affects everything and then there's additional separate control(s) for media (music) volume and sometimes another for turn instructions. It's a pita but I see its usefulness if I were an audio based guy. Maybe the "holding right screen" reset did reset something to mute level? Sorry if this is no help, just spitballing here.

edit: Where from in NC? I'm in Asheboro, near the zoo. I'm heading to Greensboro BMW shop sometime today to find some Helmet Guardian locks for my FJR. We have a few "locals" from Charlotte to Pinehurst in a text group for minor trips and impromptu rides. Send a PM if you're interested.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Yodac
United States of America

Post by Yodac »

I have adjusted all the volume controls and every thing else that I can think of, I guess I will have to pay attention to where I am needing to turn until I can figure it out.

I am just south of Louisburg NC which is north of Raleigh I ride a 2015 Kawasaki Versys and plan a ride this week to ride the Skyline Parkway. Some of my other trips are at www.jdwharton.com but not much this past year due to Covid. I moved here a year ago from East TN and I miss riding in the mountains. Its flat up here where I am.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Yeah, pretty flat over your way. Asheboro's a good base. SC coast in 3 hrs, Virginia hills in 2. I've been exploring the Danville/Roanoke/Mt. Airy triangle area lately. Quick to get there and good riding.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I can't remember the precise behaviour of the 660, but it is common in the Zumos when following a route under certain circumstances.

If you deviate from the route, but have auto-recalculate turned off, then the Zumo stops talking to you until you rejoin the route in the direction that the magenta line is taking you. I think that if you are on the magenta line, but heading in the wrong direction (due to missing a route point perhaps) it may look as though you are on the correct route, but in fact you are heading away from where it is trying to take you. With autorecalc turned off - it will all look OK, but will not speak to you.

Note that Basecamp has features that were written after the 660 was superceded. The 660 doesn't know about Basecamps Via Points and Shaping Points for example.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Yodac
United States of America

Post by Yodac »

jfheath Thanks for the reply. The issue is that If I go out on the bike to say a local coffee shop have a coffee then want to go home. Tell Zumo to go Home it plots a route that I can follow but it does not announce turns. Oh well I may have to look for an alternative to Garmin products.

thanks
Yodac
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That behaviour is not normal.

Did you stop the previous route first ?
Were you off road when you selected Go Home ?
Is your home location programmed correctly ?
Are you getting white directiona rrows and/or comments across the top banner ?
Was it giving directions on your way to the coffee stop ?
Do you allow it to make U turns ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Yodac
United States of America

Post by Yodac »

Zumo 660 is now talking to me. Here are the steps to get the device to talk to me.

Connect Zumoto computer
load file browser
Select Garmin device
Select folder Garmin
Select folder Voice
Delete all English files

Disconnect device from computer

Hold press on ON button to restart device
Launch Garmin express Delete Zumo in Garmin express
Connect Zumo
Search for new device
In Garmin Express launch utilities
Optional updates
Language files, you should now see English
Reload files
Hold press on ON button to restart device

Now I can hear directions from the device.

Hopefully this helps others

To summarize, Zumo not announcing turns
Deleted English language files
Reloaded files
Now unit works properly