Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Sightseer99
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Basecamp Waypoints on Zumo XT?

Post by Sightseer99 »

Greetings Fellow Zumo XT'ers

To put this in context:

- I'm using the latest firmware for the XT, and the latest versions of Garmin Express and Basecamp. The maps on the device and Basecamp are identical and the latest release.

- I have created a collection comprised of several routes on Basecamp. Each route has up to a few dozen way points created using the way point tool in Basecamp. Except for start and finish, most of these way points are set to "don't alert on arrival".

- I transfer these routes (the entire collection of routes) to the Zumo XT using "Send To" and use the APPS > TRIP PLANNER > IMPORT function to import all the routes without issue. The routes import without error, are available in SAVED TRIPS, and when the trip/route maps are inspected on the device, they are as designed on Basecamp, including way points.

My question:

Where can I find the list of way points in these routes on the device? I want to select one of the many way points added to BaseCamp from a list on the device and then navigate to this way point. As I recall, this feature was available on the 2610, but I can't figure out how to do it on the XT.

Thanks for any help.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Basecamp Waypoints on Zumo XT?

Post by jfheath »

Sightseer99 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 pm
My question:

Where can I find the list of way points in these routes on the device? I want to select one of the many way points added to BaseCamp from a list on the device and then navigate to this way point. As I recall, this feature was available on the 2610, but I can't figure out how to do it on the XT.

Thanks for any help.
What a brilliant and informative question.

You should be able to find your waypoints by going to Main Screen->Where To ->Favourites. Favourites is what Zumo calls them.

I say 'should' because it depends upon where you transferred them to. Internal Storage of Memory Card. I suspect that you sent them to memory card as you said you had to import the routes.

If the routes were transferred in internal Storage then they do not need to be imported. They just get into the Favourites immediately on transfer.

If the routes were transferred to Memory Card, then you need to import them Main Screen->Where To ->Favourites. That should list your favourites and allow you to import the ones from the memory card by clicking the 3 bar menu in the top left.

I say 'should' because that depends on whether or not you have any favourites stored in internal storage. If you haven't got at least one, you will never find the ones on the memory card. Really. Don't you just love these programmers?

The answer to that is a simple work around. Go to View the map. Tap on it. And again until you get a blue flag. Tap the name of the point that is at the bottom and select save. That's put a favourite into internal memory.

Now go and find your favourites/waypoints in Where To->Favourites. They will all be there.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Sightseer99
United States of America

Post by Sightseer99 »

Thanks for your help.

I cannot find a FAVORITES function anywhere in the WHERE TO screen(s). I did store (another) new way point on the device map, not sure in which memory the way point was stored; still no FAVORITES.

But, I did discover the WHERE TO > SAVED > (3 bars) > IMPORT function which I was not aware of previously. I used this function to successfully import all those way points I was looking for. After importing, I still don't find FAVORITES.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks again!

Update: maybe FAVORITES vs SAVED is a localization issue: UK vs US?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've only just found this out due to your comment.

But if you set your Settings->Language and Keyboard->Text Language to British English, the menu displays Favourites.
If it is set to American English, it displays 'Saved'

But it is essentially the same menu. But of course, Americans spell 'favourites' in an odd way. :)

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

"I have created a collection comprised of several routes on Basecamp. Each route has up to a few dozen way points created using the way point tool in Basecamp. Except for start and finish, most of these way points are set to "don't alert on arrival"

"Where can I find the list of way points in these routes on the device?"

The points you set to "don't alert on arrival" will not be available as waypoints on your device. When you set them to "don't alert on arrival" you changed them from viapoints to shaping points. They are not waypoints.

If you want to have separate waypoints in a list, create them as waypoints in BC so they are listed in My Collection and transfer the waypoints to your device along with the routes.

The terminology can be confusing but it is important to understand the differences between Waypoints Viapoints and Shaping points.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Sightseer99
United States of America

Post by Sightseer99 »

Breezly wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:14 am The points you set to "don't alert on arrival" will not be available as waypoints on your device. When you set them to "don't alert on arrival" you changed them from viapoints to shaping points. They are not waypoints.

If you want to have separate waypoints in a list, create them as waypoints in BC so they are listed in My Collection and transfer the waypoints to your device along with the routes.

The terminology can be confusing but it is important to understand the differences between Waypoints Viapoints and Shaping points.
These statements do not reflect my limited experience with my XT. If a waypoint is created with the waypoint tool (i.e. tagged as "<type>user</type" in the .gpx file XML markup) and marked as "don't alert..."in a Basecamp route, after this collection is transferred to the XT and both the routes and waypoints are imported, I can see all the "don't alert" waypoints on the maps and I can also see/select them in the SAVED list. BUT, when I press GO, the "don't alert" waypoints do not appear in the SELECT NEXT DESTINATION list.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Breezly wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:14 am
The points you set to "don't alert on arrival" will not be available as waypoints on your device. When you set them to "don't alert on arrival" you changed them from viapoints to shaping points. They are not waypoints.
Sorry - that is not correct. Whether a point is a Via Point a or Shaping point is not linked to whether it was first created as a Waypoint.
A waypoint can be made into a Via or a Shaping Point. It doesn't lose its properties as a Waypoint.

A Waypoint is a predefined location that can be stored and used in a route at some point in the future. That is a Garmin definition. Other people and other mapping software seems to use the term differently.

When you use the flag tool to create a Waypoint in Basecamp, it stores the Waypoint and all of the related information (eg lat , lon, elevation, address, postcode, phone number, symbol, name), so that it can be used later - perhaps in a route.

When a Waypoint is used in a route, the route treats it as either a Via Point or a Shaping Point. Initially, a Waypoint is usually assigned the status of a Via Point, but this can be changed to shaping point. However, points that were created as Waypoints always retain their properties as a Waypoints.

I make most of my Waypoints into Shaping points simply so that they keep the name that I give them. When the route is transferred to the ZUmo, All of the Waypoints (Whether set as Via or Shaping) will appear in the Favourites / Saved list.

Via Points in a route contain information that shaping points do not store. Eg Date and time information with regard to the timing of the route. If a Via Point is changed to a shaping point, the shaping point loses that information. This is independant of the information that Waypoints store.

One useful thing about using a Waypoint in a route is that the Zumo will retain the name that is allocated to the Waypoint.

Non Waypoints are often altered by the Zumo XT and Zumo 595 - they seem to use the lat /long information in order to locate information from one of Zumos databases.

ChuckB
United States of America

Post by ChuckB »

JH Heath: Thank you for the info regarding the requirement to have at least one favorite stored before you can import another one. That's weird. Although as soon as I made the change I can import the waypoints. Thank you!
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

ChuckB wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:46 am JH Heath: Thank you for the info regarding the requirement to have at least one favorite stored before you can import another one. That's weird. Although as soon as I made the change I can import the waypoints. Thank you!
You get the general idea - but that isn't exactly what I said.
The Zumo does not find any favourites on the SD card, if it doesn't have at least one stored in internal storage.