Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
krokodil
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

new user questions

Post by krokodil »

Hi!

Just bought XT and have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to switch off the current speed indicator during routing? I have my Zumo mounted next to my dashboard and it is annoyingly showing different speeds than the dashboard digital indicator. It is annoying to have two speed indicators showing different speeds in front of my eyes all the time.

2. I like my speed in miles per hour but the temperature in Celcius. I could not find how to set it up this way.

Thanks!
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: new user questions

Post by TripleThreat719 »

The settings are either metric or not. MPH/Fahrenheit or KPH/Celsius - I don't think you can combine the two...

Current Speed Indicator is letting you know how far off your vehicle speedometer is off... GPS indicated speed will be the accurate measurement. I haven't found a way to change that data field, or turn it off...
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

krokodil wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:53 pm Hi!

Just bought XT and have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to switch off the current speed indicator during routing? I have my Zumo mounted next to my dashboard and it is annoyingly showing different speeds than the dashboard digital indicator. It is annoying to have two speed indicators showing different speeds in front of my eyes all the time.

2. I like my speed in miles per hour but the temperature in Celcius. I could not find how to set it up this way.

Thanks!
Units for speed, ie mph or kmh is set on the XT itself. The temperature display data is supplied from your smartphone via the drive app, I have no idea how or indeed if you can stipulate the units for display.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sat nav speed may be accurate most of the time, but for a quick glance it is not reliable. For a few reasons.

It needs a clear view of satellites. Trees, mountains, tall buildings all get in the way.

It calculates the speed from distance travelled and time taken. It is therefore always a couple of seconds behind your actual speed. Test this by accelerating hard and watching what it does. Preferably as a passenger.

There is software that smooths out the speed display and makes sensible decisions. Check this by entering a tunnel at slowly and then increase speed. The satnav maintains the original speed. The last time I tried that I exited the tunnel at 40mph. The santana calculated my exit at 112mph.

Conversely, the speedo never shows you as going slower than actual. This is so the speedo cannot be used as an excuse for breaking the limit. But speedos will vary according to tyre wear, temperature, tyre pressure and tolerance differences in manufacture.

On a straight open road with the satnav reading a steady speed, it will be almost spot on. Use that to mentally calibrate yor speedo. The speedo is then more reliable - but do it after the tyres have warmed up.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
krokodil
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by krokodil »

I am well aware of all differences between GPS and bike speedometer speed estimation techniques.
All I want to be able to hide one show by Zumo. I do not use it and for me, it is just unnecessary information
cluttering my display and distracting my attention. It looks like this is not possible. I hope Garmin will
consider adding an option for hiding it in future firmware releases.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Try making that suggestion here https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/