Start of route- do not calculate

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Start of route- do not calculate

Post by Scottnet »

Is there a way I can start a saved route without it asking me for an entry point and recalculation?

I want to keep the route as it was and make my own way to the route.

Thanks
Scott
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Start of route- do not calculate

Post by yorky »

Well if you know your way to the start of the route why not ride to that point before using the XT??
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

The start of the route may be 100 miles away. Do you know of a way to do this?

Thanks
Scott
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Start the route and pick the start point as your first destination which is usually the top one on the list

The zumo will navigate to that then start the route
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Stu wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:14 am Start the route and pick the start point as your first destination which is usually the top one on the list

The zumo will navigate to that then start the route
Yes - That's the way to do it.
I believe all of the ZUmos with the Trip Planner app (590, 595, 39x and XT) all work like this. The transition is seamless - just as if your jorney to the start was part of the route. Of course it will work out its own way - according to what profile you set for the route (eg Motorcycle, Fastest Time).

The 660, on the other hand used to take you to the start point of your chosen route and then stop navigating when you arrived ! You had to start the route again.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

Thanks for the reply.

I am really trying to get the zumo NOT to ever recalculate a route.

The reason is, I plan routes on basecamp using the customisation tools such as road type preferences etc.

The zumo does not know about these so I get a completely different route.

Any ideas on how to prevent this?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes.

Set Main Screen->Settings->Navigation->Off Route Recalculation to Off.

That doesn't prevent the route being recaluclated though. It only prevents it from being recalculated automatically if you wander off route.
The route will still be recalculated if you press Skip, for example.
Or if the map on the Zumo does not match the map in Basecamp - it recalculate on transfer and on load.
Or if any of the settings in Basecamp Edit->Options->Device transfer are ticked.
Or if you change the routing preferences , vehicle type or avoidances while the route is loaded.

You could sort out the problem in some other way.
Use Basecamp to draw the route that you want. Then convert it to a track.
Then set the profile to be motorcycle / faster time with NO avoidances set, and use the track to position shaping points to force it along the route that you want to take. Use your new route in the Zumo with it set to Motorcycle and Faster Time.

OR

Send the track to the XT as well as the route and display the track on the screen while navigating the route. When the track deviates fromt he route, you will see it (especially if you have coloured it black). Follow the track and the Zumo will recalculate a new route to get you to the next route point.

OR

Simply load the track into the Zumo and press Go. The Zumo will plot a magenta route. You will have no spoken directions, but you will have the magenta line to follow on the screen and it will never recalculate. If you wander off course, it will tell you how far you are from the nearest point on the route (straight line as the crow flies), and it will draw a dotted straight line in the direction of that point.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Scottnet wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:25 pm Thanks for the reply.

I am really trying to get the zumo NOT to ever recalculate a route.

The reason is, I plan routes on basecamp using the customisation tools such as road type preferences etc.

The zumo does not know about these so I get a completely different route.

Any ideas on how to prevent this?
More shaping points so it forces the route then settings are pretty much irrelevant
groundhog719
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

More shaping points . . .

That's how I do it too. Sometimes lots and lots of shaping points. If I have time I put the XT in simulation mode and let it follow the route to make sure it travels where I want.

I'm not sure if the simulation mode creates a track but if it does you could leave the XT unattended (while it is following the route) and then look at the track to make sure it follows the route you had planned.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Stu wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:26 pm More shaping points so it forces the route then settings are pretty much irrelevant
Exactly what I was going to say! But this doesn't seem to fit with the OP's wants. I re-read the OP's posts and can't figure out how to interpret , "I want to keep the route as it was and make my own way to the route". If in fact you don't want to be routed by the gps, then:

- leave gps turned off, or

- turn the gps on but do not start the trip, take whatever roads you deem as appropriate and start the trip on the gps later when you are nearer to your start point, or

- turn the gps on, start the trip, ignore the route given and take whatever roads you deem as appropriate. In this case I'd be sure to turn off Auto Recalculation.

Just because you have a gps doesn't mean you have to use a gps ;)
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A