What is the best way to remove maps & associated data from memory card?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

What is the best way to remove maps & associated data from memory card?

Post by Peobody »

I have a number of routes one the memory card of my zumoXT (sent from Basecamp) and now wish to remove some of them but I can't figure out how.
I don't find a way to delete them using the device. When viewed from within Basecamp I don't see a way to identify which via points belong to which routes. When viewed from the PC with a file explorer I can't identify the routes. There are only filenames of ROUTE?.GPX and WAYPOINTS?.GPX. Surprisingly there are more routes than there are file pairs.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Re: What is the best way to remove maps & associated data from memory card?

Post by Peobody »

I just figured out that I can export routes from Basecamp, one at a time, and then copy the resulting .gpx files into the Garmin/GPX folder on the devices memory card. This allows for manual deletion of individual routes (.gpx files) but it seems like an awfully tedious way to put routes onto the memory card just so that they can be individually deleted or replaced. I'm still hopeful that someone knows of an easier way.
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The answer to your question depends very much on which Zumo you have.

I have the zumo 590
on which I sometimes run the 595 software
and the Zumo XT

and all 3 are arranged slightly differently.

Generally speaking

Delete favourites / waypoints on the Zumo from Where to->Favourites and use the tool in the top left corner.
Delete imported routed from Trip Planner and the tool in the top left.
Delete transferred routes from internal memory by deleting temp.gpx. All of them.
Delete transferred routes from SD card by deleting individual gpx files.

And cold restart the Zumo a couple of times

You can find out what route each gpx file represents by loading it into Notepad and looking for the <route> tag and the subsequent <name> tag. But it is tedious.

Personally, I keep my routes organised into list folders and lists in Bascamp. I often clear out everything from the Zumo, and if I want it back on, I transmit it from Basecamp again. And I always use internal memory 'cos there are sometimes issues in the way some Zumos. behave with sd cards.

However there are different issues with routes transferred to internal memory on the XT, and I have yet to decide which 'issues' I prefer.
(Currently, the XT starts a clean sheet with each transfer session to internal memory- ie previously transferred routes are over-written - a brand new temp.gpx file is created)

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks jfheath. Transfers of routes from Basecamp to my XT add to what was already there so that seems different from what you describe. My current goal is to figure out how best to handle the 15 routes (1/day) that I have created for an upcoming trip. When sent to internal memory there isn't a way to sort them on the XT so that's a pain. I thought an alternative would be to clean out the internal memory, put all of the routes on the SD card, and then the night before I would import the next days route and delete the finished route. While testing this I discovered how difficult it was to selectively remove routes from the card.

BTW, I used the "send to" function at the List folder level to send routes to the SD card, one per route. The result on the SD card is a ROUTE?.GPX file and a WAYPOINTS?.GPX file. Is there any advantage to doing this instead of just doing the "send to" from the route level (no WAYPOINTS?.GPX) file?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

So which Zumo do you have ?
Scrub that - you have an XT .

And it doesn't over-write previously transferred routes to internal memory ??

Mine does - If a new Usb connection is made between transfers.
But this is not an issue if they are sent to SD card.

If you assign a date and time to the first point of your route in Basecamp, the transferred and imported routes will appear in the list in chronological order.

There are a number of ways of transferring. The main menu, drag and drop, send to, right click in selection. Ive not noticed any difference in how they end up in the XT. I tend to choose the option that is easiest to highlight a number of routes at the same time.

I think I tend to select the folder and ctrl click the individual routes for a multi-day tour and drag them to internal memory in one drop. I dont bother with any waypoints - the knes that are part if the route will get sent automatically. Inly the ones that you created that are not included in the route need to be sent separately - if you need them.

nb The waypoints of any route that is sent to sd card will not show up in Favourites. You have to import them first. if you dont have at least one favourite in internal memory, it reports that there aren't any to be found.
individual Waypoints and waypoint that are part if a route will show up in favourites immediately on transfer - if they are sent to internal memory.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:00 pm And it doesn't over-write previously transferred routes to internal memory ??

Mine does - If a new Usb connection is made between transfers.
But this is not an issue if they are sent to SD card.
No duplicates for me when adding routes to the internal memory. What I think I see happening is that a "send to" from Basecamp result in the data being written to the internal storage in a file named temp.gpx. Once that trip(s) are imported on the device the data is appended to the current.gpx file. If a trip is sent to internal storage but not imported before another trip is sent then the first one gets overwritten by the new one.
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:00 pm If you assign a date and time to the first point of your route in Basecamp, the transferred and imported routes will appear in the list in chronological order.
Thanks for this. Too limiting to be practical though. I want to keep trips on the device that I will repeatedly ride as well as ones planned but without travel dates yet. Within Basecamp a multi-day trip has routes named like "CO-D1, CO-D2, CO-D3" for Colorado-Day 1, Colorado-Day 2, Colorado-Day 3. It is a shame the the Garmin didn't include some sort order options on the XT that would mirror what works in Basecamp.
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:00 pm I think I tend to select the folder and ctrl click the individual routes for a multi-day tour and drag them to internal memory in one drop. I dont bother with any waypoints - the knes that are part if the route will get sent automatically. Inly the ones that you created that are not included in the route need to be sent separately - if you need them.
Perhaps the WAYPOINTS?.GPX file that I sometimes end up with on the SD card are waypoints that were in the List folder but not included in route. This would make sense.
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:00 pm nb The waypoints of any route that is sent to sd card will not show up in Favourites. You have to import them first. if you dont have at least one favourite in internal memory, it reports that there aren't any to be found.
individual Waypoints and waypoint that are part if a route will show up in favourites immediately on transfer - if they are sent to internal memory.
I hadn't paid any attention to this but I already know that I am going to hate it. I don't see myself ever caring about favorites on the device other than Home so to think that every waypoint in a route is ending up as a favorite is disconcerting. I sure hope that when a route is deleted its associated waypoints are removed from favorites. I suspect that is just wishful thinking.

Thanks for your help. I think some of the fog has cleared although I remain really frustrated with how difficult it is to manage routes on the device especially when there is an SD card in the mix. There doesn't appear to be a "best" way, just a personal choice about the least worst way.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'm running out of memory ! (Me, not my computer). I'm not able to get to my PC with Basecamp for a while to check things out, but I'll double check the things you mention when I can. I may have missed something. Your comments will be useful checks, so thanks for those.

Couple of things.

Try transferring a route to internal memory- RoutA - and then importing it. Break the Usb connection, delete the imported route and import it again. All should be Ok.
Now plug in the Usb cable, transfer a different route to internal memory - Route B. Disconnect the USB cable and import Route B.
All should be Ok. You have Route A and Route B available to use.
Now use trip planner to delete Route A and Route B.
Then see what is available to re-import. I reckon that RouteA will not be available, but RouteB will.

Its not a problem as long as you are aware of it, but it is different from the way the previous Zumos behaved. a
Also, unlike the earlier 590/595, the XT makes changes to the route if you edit on screen - without you having to save it. If you mess it up, you cannot revert to the original. It may not be there to import. The 590/595 would keep all of the transferred routes, forever appending them to the temp.gpx file. Getting rid of them was the problem, unless you knew which file to delete. That may be why they changed it. But with other changes, it may have resulted in behaviour that might not have been anticipated.

I have started wiping everything on my Zumo, and then transferring everything I need in one USB session. That way the transferred routes are always available to import, should the active copy get messed up. This is easy to do if you keep your Basecamp 'tree' organised.
--------
Re organising Waypoints. Waypoints are the only routing points that will retain the name that you give them. I tend to name them with a date number at the start, and a mileage number or a sequence number. That way, they are easy to recognise in Basecamp lists, and will be grouped together in the correct order. It also makes them easy to spot in the XT.
---------
Basecamp. Double click on a Waypoint in the bottom left pane where the routes, tracks and Waypoints are listed. The waypoint property box pops up. One of the tabs is labelled 'categories'. ( I think - sorry, I cannot check ). You can add a category name - make one up and type it in. I think you can do this by selecting multiple waypoints at the same time. So you could have some assigned to CO-D1. I git the impression that you could assign the same point to a number of categories, but I didn't check this.

When these points are transferred to the Zumo, a new list entry is added when viewing Favourites. Categories. In there will be the category names that you created eg CO-D1 - and in there only the favourites that belong to CO-D1. I haven't played with it much, I only discovered it last week, after messing with the 'collection' feature in Garmin Explore. I just thought - that might be useful, before I had to pack away my PC. i'm stuck with the Ipad at the moment, which is my only excuse for all of the typos that I seem to get in my posts.
-------
Note that Waypoints and Favourites are different names for the same thing. Don't confuse Waypoint as meaning just any point in a route. I know that some people and some routing software uses 'Waypoint' as meaning this. Garmin's definition is more precise. If a route point appears in that bottom left pane (with tracks and routes), it will show up in favourites if it has been used in a route.

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:33 am Try transferring a route to internal memory- RoutA - and then importing it. Break the Usb connection, delete the imported route and import it again. All should be Ok.
Now plug in the Usb cable, transfer a different route to internal memory - Route B. Disconnect the USB cable and import Route B.
All should be Ok. You have Route A and Route B available to use.
Now use trip planner to delete Route A and Route B.
Then see what is available to re-import. I reckon that RouteA will not be available, but RouteB will.
This makes sense. The import of RouteB would now be the route in temp.gpx so is the only one available for import. This is why I am trying to figure out how to store and manage routes on the SD card. Based on what I understand with the XT, routes on the SD card are always available for import. So, you could put RouteA and RouteB on the SD card, import RouteA from the card, ride it, delete it (which only removes it from internal memory), import RouteB from the card, ride it, delete it (again only removes it from internal memory), and then import either one from the card again at a future time.

On the XT I have found two ways of triggering the processes for of importing from the card, neither are obvious. The first is in the hamburger icon (top left) of the Trip Planner opening screen. The second is in the Trip Planner Options screen (wrench icon).

Regarding favorites, I will tackle trying to digest that topic at another time. I am hoping to leave on my 14 day trip next week so must decide and implement how I want those 14 routes on the device.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That is a pretty good summary.

Foolproof method until you decide the best for you.

clear out all imported routes, clear out all favourites both on the XT.
delete temp.gpx.
delete all routes and waypoints on memory card.

Transfer just the routes to memory card from basecamp. (Waypoints that are part of a route get transferred automatically. Any you need that are not part of a route will need to be transferred separately)
Put one waypoint in internal memory. (You can create one using the XT map)

ON XT. import all routes. Import all favourites.

Good to go.