Saved track statistics

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
zhamid
Canada

Re: Saved track statistics

Post by zhamid »

Thank you for such a detailed response @jfheath . It is helpful.

It's weird that Garmin went ahead and built a beautiful UI around recording a track but then added no way to bring up the same UI as a summary of the track.

I go out for a trip, come back and now have to remember to take a picture of the screen because once it's gone, it'll be gone forever.
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

zhamid wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:13 pm I wish I saw this before :-).
I was debating between Garmin and Tomtom and Track Recording was one of the reasons why I got the Garmin.

However, I can't find a way to see the average moving speed or max speed (in Garmin Explore, it does show the basic data). I am really bumed out, is there any way of seeing this view again from saved tracks?
are you looking from a days ride, or from a route or track ??
the rider is nice, where it always tells you for the day, resettable trip, and total all of that information
the XT, there are 2 ways, the track recording screen, that keeps track of stuff, then when done, stop and save or delete what you did riding.
the next way, is on the main navigating map, hit the speed, and stats show up, trip a, b, and more information, that can be reset.
my opinion the tomtom is nicer in this area, doing it automatically.

I always forget to reset it, and i like the days stats, as well as the trips stats too.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

JS_racer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:01 pm the XT, there are 2 ways, the track recording screen, that keeps track of stuff, then when done, stop and save or delete what you did riding.
the next way, is on the main navigating map, hit the speed, and stats show up, trip a, b, and more information, that can be reset.
I don't know the TomTom at all, so I cannot comment.

You've missed something with the Garmin though - they all record everywhere you go all of the time without you having to do anything. This is in addition to anything else that you set up to record your trip. (By all, I mean Zumos 550, 590, 595, 39x, XT).

On the XT, the latest file is Internal Storage->GPX->CurrentTrackLog.gpx
Once this is full, it is shunted into Internal Storage->GPX->Archive->nnn.gpx - where nnn represent a 1, 2 , 3 , .... digit number. The XT keeps the last 20 of these - so when 21.gpx is started, 1.gpx is deleted. This may be about 3-6 months worth of riding, depending how much you ride of course.
I download them as a permanent record every few months.
The gpx file records your position, time, elevation, speed, course / direction and if you are moving there is one point recorded every few seconds - often every second.

This option is on by default, but it can be turned off.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
zhamid
Canada

Post by zhamid »

Interesting, that's really cool!

I assume these gpu files can be loaded in other apps to pull the data?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

zhamid wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:45 am I assume these gpu files can be loaded in other apps to pull the data?
Yes. The GPX format is recognised by many mapping applications.

Personally, I use MemoryMaps - as I have a full set of the high quality Ordnance Survey maps for the whole of the UK.
I donwload and keep my logs every few months, and organise the data by year and month so that I can turn on and off my tracks. It is surprisingly useful to recall where we have been and when we went to certain places. The files will import directly without any modification.

They also import into Google MyDrive and into Google Earth.

From Google MyDrive, you can export the route as a KML file, which can then be loaded into Google earth to create a 3D Fly-through of the route. A couple of sliders enable you to select just a portion of the log file.

Both MyDrive and Google Earth will display total distance and average speed.

The only downside, compared to recording your own track on the Zumo is that the files are always recorded from the moment that you turn it on. You have no control over when the log starts or ends. The Zumo decides when it is going to archive the current log file and start a new one - so your track may be split over two different files. Although a log is rarely split over two files.

Just looking at one run that I did a year ago. The gpx file is 1.7MB, has 7050 entries, it started logging at 7:30am and finished at the end of the days riding 10 hours later. Total distance 433 km / 270 miles.

The vast majority of recorded points are just 1 taken just 1 second from the previous point - the average time gap is 5 seconds - but that includes stops - points are only recorded when you are moving. 4800 of the 7050 points were less than 5 seconds apart.

Many programs will allow you to join tracks together, some will allow you to top and tail the track (ie chop bits from each end) - and in fact, you could do it with a text editor such as Notepad.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
JS_racer
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

jfheath wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 pm
JS_racer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:01 pm the XT, there are 2 ways, the track recording screen, that keeps track of stuff, then when done, stop and save or delete what you did riding.
I don't know the TomTom at all, so I cannot comment.

You've missed something with the Garmin though - they all record everywhere you go all of the time without you having to do anything. This is in addition to anything else that you set up to record your trip. (By all, I mean Zumos 550, 590, 595, 39x, XT).

On the XT, the latest file is Internal Storage->GPX->CurrentTrackLog.gpx
Once this is full, it is shunted into Internal Storage->GPX->Archive->nnn.gpx - where nnn represent a 1, 2 , 3 , .... digit number. The XT keeps the last 20 of these - so when 21.gpx is started, 1.gpx is deleted. This may be about 3-6 months worth of riding, depending how much you ride of course.
I download them as a permanent record every few months.
The gpx file records your position, time, elevation, speed, course / direction and if you are moving there is one point recorded every few seconds - often every second.

This option is on by default, but it can be turned off.
I was referring to the stats, for the day, for the trip, and the tom-tom has a lifetime.
so at the end of the day, to all all the data, distance, driving time, average and max speed.

my response was not about saving tracks, or recording tracks, or where have I been, it was about the stats.
Attachments
scr_nav4ridertripstatisticstoday.png
scr_nav4ridertripstatisticstoday.png (133.86 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sorry, I was pointing out that all of the information that you needed in order to obtain those statistics was available - albeit in a different form.

However, - since you showed that particular screen - the Zumo has something similar.

if you click the button that shows the speed on the map display, you get a live statistics page which shows this
Stats.jpg
Stats.jpg (24.62 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
(I have combined two screens into one for this image. The top bit with the speed and the TripA and Trip B is always visible. The bit underneath shows either the top two rows of data or the bottom two rows - accessed by rpessing the up/down arrow on the left.)

The values are based on one of the trips - not sure which one, I haven't been out with the XT enough to play with it yet due to being locked down for the majority of the last year. This can be reset using the 3 bar menu in the top left corner.

This is a live display, so it changes are the trip progresses. You just have to remember to reset it when before you set off.

zhamid
Canada

Post by zhamid »

That's really cool.

The Zumo XT UI isn't definitely the most intuitive. I keep finding things that I can't figure out how to get to again :-).

Overall I am not as impressed as I should've been given the price. Mostly, I foolishly assumed Garmin would also have an app and website like Tomtom where I could design routes and just send them to the GPS. Interestingly, I use Tomtom to do my routing, export the .gpx and then import that into Garmin.

Tomtom also does a really good job numbering your waypoints so you can reorder them easily. Garmin uses street names which don't help if your waypoints are on the same long street.
JS_racer
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

jfheath wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:44 pm Sorry, I was pointing out that all of the information that you needed in order to obtain those statistics was available - albeit in a different form.

However, - since you showed that particular screen - the Zumo has something similar.

if you click the button that shows the speed on the map display, you get a live statistics page which shows this

Stats.jpg

(I have combined two screens into one for this image. The top bit with the speed and the TripA and Trip B is always visible. The bit underneath shows either the top two rows of data or the bottom two rows - accessed by rpessing the up/down arrow on the left.)

The values are based on one of the trips - not sure which one, I haven't been out with the XT enough to play with it yet due to being locked down for the majority of the last year. This can be reset using the 3 bar menu in the top left corner.

This is a live display, so it changes are the trip progresses. You just have to remember to reset it when before you set off.
yep, lots of good information, no trip stats and day stats, has to be reset manually also
I mentioned the 2 ways in the post of mine you quoted several posts back now.
the tomtom shows less data, but resets every day, and trip data can be reset as well, so if on a 2 week trip, all that data is shows, plus on tap data every day.
XT, trip B, is just the odometer, no stats for that. so if you reset it for a 2 week trip, it only shows total mileage if you reset the A for day to day data.
JS_racer
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

I was playing around, and saw the saved data on the auto recorded routes the XT saves. my speed, was 56 57 56 107 57 umm nope. lol
there were also spots of zero. so it seems glitchy, but was interesting to see. first time looking at auto saves.