XT Questions

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
burtsr
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

XT Questions

Post by burtsr »

I have a 2006 Honda Goldwing. NO Bluetooth. So, I have a couple of questions before I buy one.

Can the XT be wired like say the 665? With an audio in.
Is there an auto out jack/speaker so you can use it in your car without the Bluetooth?
Can you make phone calls without Bluetooth?

Or is EVERYTHING BLUETOOTH?
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Re: XT Questions

Post by Hati »

Pretty much everything is Bluetooth. The XT only has a 2 pin power wire to it. The back of the unit has 5 pins however, but no one knows what the other 3 pins are for. Other then that, there is only the USB connection for charging and file management.

The XT has a built in speaker that supposed to work when fitted to a car, assuming the mode is also changed to car from bike. I never tried it.

Unless you have a BT adapter, you are out of luck. Maybe it's time to drag yourself out of the communication dark ages and BT up ;)
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

burtsr wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:49 pm I have a 2006 Honda Goldwing. NO Bluetooth. So, I have a couple of questions before I buy one.

Is there an auto out jack/speaker so you can use it in your car without the Bluetooth?

In Europe the XT is supplied with a 'suction' automotive mount & a cigarette power unit. There is a built in speaker on the XT for automotive use ie sound.

The telephone menus only function when a bluetooth headset is paired to the unit, so Garmin effectively have only designed the telephone features to function when used on a motorcycle, which seems a little strange.
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

That seems strange. My old nuvi 780 would Bluetooth pair with my vehicle system. I can play music from its SD card and it will give directions over the vehicle speakers. I pair my phone directly to the vehicle so no Garmin problems there. I'll have to try my 595. Maybe someone else could try BT pairing an XT?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

burtsr wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:49 pm I have a 2006 Honda Goldwing. NO Bluetooth. So, I have a couple of questions before I buy one.

1. The XT audio out is Bluetooth only. However, Bluetooth dongles to connect to the Wings audio system are available and easily installed. Electrical Connections offers one, or you could purchase a similar one through Amazon or EBay.
https://electricalconnection.com/index. ... tooth-aux/ The advantage of the EC one is it comes with the proper connectors to make it plug and play. I used one I purchased through Amazon and installed the correct connectors. It has worked perfectly reliably.

2, Yes, sort of. The XT does not come with an auto mount but it can be purchased separately. When mounted in the auto mount the internal speaker is active.

3. No.

4. Bluetooth only.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Breezly wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:57 am 2, Yes, sort of. The XT does not come with an auto mount but it can be purchased separately. When mounted in the auto mount the internal speaker is active.
My XT came with a auto mount and power lead, and the internal speaker works without it being in any mount.
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hati wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:24 am Unless you have a BT adapter, you are out of luck. Maybe it's time to drag yourself out of the communication dark ages and BT up ;)
The first part of that statement is true.
The second part - well in my case the jury is out. Personally, I prefer technology to work all of the time.

I bought a BT module and wired it in - and it all works perfectly - until I start to move and then the sound comes through like a really badly tuned radio. My suspicion is that it is mounted too near to the bike's control unit, so I have relocated it to the front of the bike. But due to Covid restrictions, I have not been able to get out and test it again.

My system is a wired autocom. The Zumo BTooths to the BT03 module which is plugged into the autocom and it talks to the smartphone for calls, for media (primitive control of spotify), Data via the drive app on the phone. So weather, traffic and such like all come to the XT OK. As do text messages and other alerts (if configured).

I cannot say whether it will talk to 2 headphones at the same time (eg rider pillion).

I'm just hoping the BT03 will work now it is at the front of the bike. I'm pretty sure it is not the BT03 module's fault and that it is interference.
You just don't get the clarity that you get with wires. And you don't get the embarrassment of forgetting to turn it off when in the loo.

The XT has dsipensed with the live track facility implemented on the 595 - in favour of its satellite InReach system. So I use Bubbler and a free Spotwalla account, so that my progress can be tracked when I am out alone. That works well.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

jfheath wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:51 am
Personally, I prefer technology to work all of the time.
Well, it all depends how you use the system, really.

For one, I never use spoken directions. Used to, when I had the 595, but the primary reason for that was the TPMS system, not the guidance. But Sena in association with Garmin put me off voice guidance quickly because the GPS took over the intercom, the primary reason to have BT. Down my way the Autocom system doesn't exist, which is a shame, because as far as my research can tell, it's the only system that can mix audio sources properly. If you don't mind the dangling cables. But ultimately I wasn't going to be the guinea pig Down Under without a local agent's support.

Soon I found it quite easy to follow the GPS directions just by looking at the screen. As they say, practice makes perfect. Using almost exclusively GPX tracks for touring also helps to learn how to keep an eye on the GPS.

When I got the XT and the void created by the removal of the TPMS system, I had no reason to leave the XT un-muted. Abandoned Sena in favour of a Cardo system that takes care of intercom and telephone duties and the XT does navigation. Simple and it works. Never felt the need to turn on voice guidance ever since, even when I ride alone.

I found this particular combination works with a 99% uptime for me and my needs.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

Oop North John wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:12 am
Breezly wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:57 am 2, Yes, sort of. The XT does not come with an auto mount but it can be purchased separately. When mounted in the auto mount the internal speaker is active.
My XT came with a auto mount and power lead, and the internal speaker works without it being in any mount.
But the OP is in the US and US units do not come with the Auto mount.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

If the automotive mount & power lead is not supplied with US units, surely the simplest option is for the guy to buy them, to enable him to use them in a car?