How do you get a Waypoint from Explore to the Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

How do you get a Waypoint from Explore to the Zumo XT

Post by jfheath »

This is not an idle question. I have tracks, waypoints and routes on Explore. I can get tracks and routes to the Zumo XT. I can select a single waypoint from Explore and ask the Zumo to go to it. But I cannot get any Explore Waypoints into any of my routes.

Background:
==========
The Explore Website allows you to create A route, A track and Waypoints which can be transferred to the Zumo XT without the need for a USB cable.
In order to do this, it is necessary to have A smartphone with the Garmin Drive App loaded and running.

So far, so good. I can create a Route on Explore. It is nothing like creating a route on Basecamp - ie it does not work out which roads to take between any two points. You have to place as many points as you think is necessary. Explore simply draws a straight line between them.

You cannot create a track on the Explore site. If you want a track, then you have to create a route and convert that to a track.

You can create Waypoints, but on Explore there is no way of making a waypoint become an integral part of a route. The waypoints exist separately. But so far I have not been able to get a waypoint to appear on the Zumo Map.

The normal way of accessing the routes tracks and waypoints is either to click the track button on the main screen. Synchronise if it hasn't done so already, and the tracks are available to be seen and used.
Using Tracks 005.jpg
Using Tracks 005.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 817 times
OR
Click 'Where To->Explore' on the Zumo and then all of the resources prepare in explore become available. ie Tracks, Routes, Waypoints, and Collections - a collection is a way of organising the stuff on Explore so that you can keep all of the Tracks, routes and waypoint for a particular adventure all in one place.

Using Tracks 004.jpg
Using Tracks 004.jpg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 817 times

So far so good. I can access and use the tracks. I can access and use the routes. I can select a waypoint and press 'Go' and the zumo will navigate me to it.

What I cannot do is show all of the waypoints that I have created on Explore on the same screen as the route that I am using. None of them appear in the list of favourites.

Yet I can get them into the Zumo if I export them as a GPX file and then transfer the GPX file to the Zumo by USB cable.

What am I missing. Has anyone got any ideas please.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Re: How do you get a Waypoint from Explore to the Zumo XT

Post by jfheath »

OK - I'll answer my own question.

Today after about 3 days of trying to work out what was happening, I took a break and went into the garage to check out my BlueTooth connection from the XT to the autocom. Music was playing very slowly, Music player controls were not pausing or skipping tracks.
I decided to perform a complete wipe out and reset system settings.

Waypoints come back to life on transfer now, and the media player seems to be working OK.

I'll now try to find out what screwed it up in the first place ! I don't want to have to keep resetting the Zumo XT.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.