Unwanted factory reset

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Resca
Italy

Unwanted factory reset

Post by Resca »

Hello! My Zumo 590 worked fine for years. Today, suddenly, it reverted to "factory default" configuration, all my planned trips disappeared (but not the tracks of the last trips and my MP3 files).

I re-configured it but, once I turn it off and then on, my configuration is lost once again! The main battery is 100% full and can supply the unit for at least 30 minutes with no external power.

I suspect there is an internal not-rechargeable battery to keep configuration like in all the Garmin Aviation Units. GPS92, 96C, GNS430 & 530: all of them have an internal 3v cell and all of them forget configuration once that battery dies.

Can someone confirm? Any other idea/suggestion?
biz
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Unwanted factory reset

Post by biz »

I'd have been pretty certain (having seen the insides) that there isn't an internal battery. I think all your settings should be saved to NVRAM (there's a hidden part of that.) but not sure what the files that are saved with your settings are, or where they're located.
Resca
Italy

Post by Resca »

Thank you Biz! In that case, it is worst because I must assume the flash is dead. :cry:
I have a very positive experience with Garmin for aviation products: the Italian importer (luckily 500m from my home!) sends the units to U.K. ad they come back in a reasonable time repaired and working. Unfortunately, for "on the road" products, this path is not applicable.
Does anyone know which is the most effective path to get a repair from Garmin?
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

"Does anyone know which is the most effective path to get a repair from Garmin?"

In the US, there is a fabulous independent repair service, Palm DR. I have had two out of warranty repairs done by them (two different devices) at very reasonable cost. If the shipping cost isn't too much, you could contact them for an estimated repair cost.

https://www.palmdr.com
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
malc
Great Britain

Post by malc »

Hi - Just had the same problem again - had the 590 several years and used regularly - and this has now happen twice this year and only twice before - there seems no reason why this has happening - its happens whether I turn on the unit or turn on with the bikes ignition - its most annoying since you lose your planned routes completely - anybody any ideas ?
Reading posts below I don't believe its the battery, as the other day before it happened after stopping for petrol in the middle of a 200 mile run. On restarting the bike the unit when into this factory reset automatically!
Maybe a Master Reset is required ? - or I have pressed the bottom of the screen by accident which is the start of reset proceed ?
Looking forward to any suggestions - cheers
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The reset procedure involves long pressing the bottom right corner of the screen after the (c) copyright notice pops up.

It is also available by long pressing the circular speedo button on the screen which is accessed by tapping the speed button in the bottom left corner of the map.

It seems unlikely that this could happen by accident or while riding. My only thought is that maybe a screen covering is interfering with the dispay - but that seems to be a completely ridiculous idea to me.

Give Garmin Support a ring and see if they can help.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.