XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Re: Sharing a route via Bluetooth

Post by XIKO29 »

wingrider.steve wrote:
XIKO29 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:34 am
sussamb wrote:Worth saying that after a software update a master reset is advisable, and definitely if you're experiencing any issues
How do you do a master reset on the XT?
Press and hold the power switch in until the unit restarts.
That's not a master reset; that's simply a restart. [emoji38]
XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

sussamb wrote:That's not a master reset, but it can help too if all you normally do is put it into sleep mode
When we receive an update, it says precisely that the XT will (or need) to restart in order for the update to be applied.

But "master reset" and "restart" are 2 completely different things.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes agreed, that's why I advised a master reset, it normally clears any strange behaviour after a software update.
wingrider.steve
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by wingrider.steve »

XIKO29 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:25 pm
sussamb wrote:That's not a master reset, but it can help too if all you normally do is put it into sleep mode
When we receive an update, it says precisely that the XT will (or need) to restart in order for the update to be applied.

But "master reset" and "restart" are 2 completely different things.
I stand corrected.
However simply switching the units off and then back on, i.e. in and out of standby or sleep mode achieved nothing, it was only when I did the full restart on both units that I was able to carry out the route transfer.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yep, first try the switch off then on, rather than allowing it to go on standby all the time. That can cure a few issues. Failing that a full master reset.

This is applicable to all Garmin units, not just the XT, although some don't have a standby mode so for those it's simply a master reset.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I regard a Master Reset to be clearing out all data and returning the unit to its original settings.

This facility is available on Settings->Device->Reset where there are three options. (Clear Travel History, Reset Default Values and Delete Data and Reset Settings).

Turning the unit off completely (Cold Restart) involves holding the power button in for a few seconds and then clickin the red 'Off' button.

There are lots of interesting things available from the hidden system menu.
Main Screen->View Map->Speed button, bottom left->Speedo circle top centre (Press for 10 seconds).

There was once another text based system menu available by holding down the bottom right hand corner after a Cold Restart, and letting go when the copyright screen appears, but it seems to have changed after one of the software updates. I don't know what it is now.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.