Cannot Calculate the Route

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
m185945
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Cannot Calculate the Route

Post by m185945 »

I'm going on a 13 day trip so I have 13 routes to import. From BC I highlighted all 13 and sent them to the zumo device. From BC I watched the import progress in the Devices section. Everything completed with the green progress bar. Performed a soft eject of the zumo from BC. So far, so good.

Turned on zumo. Receive import-prompt and clicked yes. 5 of 13 routes failed with the message "Cannot calculate the route." Started Garmin Express and updated all the software on BC and zumo. Tried import again with same results. Using the following Windows path:
Computer\zūmo XT\Internal Storage\GPX
I deleted the following:
- temp.gpx
- CurrentTrackLog.gpx
- Current.gpx
Imported the 13 files again with the same results--5 failures. Same routes as before. I was considering resetting the device until I read that the reset does not touch the routes. I'm fine with erasing the routes. I'll do anything to fix this problem. Attached are the route properties of one of the 5 files. I don't see anything abnormal with the contents.

Does anyone know what I need to do to successfully import these misbehaving routes?

I thank you in advance for your assistance.
Attachments
failed import.JPG
failed import.JPG (11.2 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
Novice using the zumo XT.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Cannot Calculate the Route

Post by sussamb »

If the others are like this one then I'm not surprised they won't import as Garmin routes in general are limited to only 30 viapoints though you can have many more shaping points. I haven't specifically seen anything on the XT route limitations but my guess is that is the issue.
m185945
United States of America

Post by m185945 »

I was hoping you were still out there offering your sage advice sussamb. I always appreciate your feedback.

I have added an attachment to cross-reference via point quantity with import success/failure.

I thank anyone in advance for your assistance.
Attachments
failed import2.JPG
failed import2.JPG (24.05 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well routes fail due to complexity and length but I know of no method to pre-determine whether they'll import or not. I'd look at splitting those that have failed into 2, or reduce the viapoints, until they will import. Changing many of the viapoints to shaping points should also work.
m185945
United States of America

Post by m185945 »

sussamb,
You're batting 1000%. Splitting route and/or reducing SPs resolved the problem.

Thank you very, very much.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Glad it worked