Problem converting track to trip

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
connal
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Problem converting track to trip

Post by connal »

Hi,
I hope some of the more experienced users on here can help because I'm about to throw this XT at the wall. No matter what method I try I cannot get it to convert some off-road GPX tracks that I have downloaded into routes that I can follow. The files show up in the Tracks app but hang at either 12 or 18 per cent during the conversion process and will not go any further.

I am new to Zumo and GPS in general so it could well be something I'm doing wrong. If anyone has any tips I'd be very grateful.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Problem converting track to trip

Post by sussamb »

Do you have a map selected with roads that your device can route you along? If not it will struggle to do so.
connal
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by connal »

The map I'm trying to use is a GPX route that combines tarmac roads and dirt tracks. All of these show on the Garmin HERE map and the route is displayed correctly in BaseCamp and MyRoute. I can see the route as a track on the Garmin but when I try to bring it into trip planner so I can follow it with the usual navigation arrows the whole thing hangs and won't progress beyond 12 or 18 per cent.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ok, in that case I suspect the track is too long or has too many points or is too complicated or a combination of those, try splitting the track into shorter sections.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve here so I can't give an answer. But please bear with me.

The few times that I have tried, I have not had a great deal of success in converting a track to a route on any Zumo. Including the XT.
A track consists of many many points. Typically thousands. A route consists of relatively few points that the satnav will link together - joining up the dots - following the routes that are permitted on the map that it is using.

You can get navigational instructions from a route.
You cannot get navigational instructions from a track.

A track is basically a line drawn on a map on the screen. That along with the symbol of the bike/car places you on the map. So you can see where you are in relation to the track. It is up to you to keep an eye on the screen to make sure that you remain on the track.

That is how I understand it. I am intrigued by how the XT is advertised as an all terrain navigator. I have yet to find out how that is possible.

But this may help.

You seem to be using MyRoute ? Although one of the better non Garmin route creating tools, it is not fully compatible with Garmin devices - it doesn't allow the strategic use of Via Points and Shaping points for example - the last time I looked, which was about a year ago.

So what follows is based on Basecamp. The maps are the same on BAsecamp and the Zumo. If they are not, then make sure you download them to your computer and to your Zumo. You will spend for ages otherwise waiting for the Zumo to recalculate.

On the europe maps, various tracks are plotted. Not all of them are rights of way, or navigable by motorcycle - you would have to verify that. But with the OFF-Road transport mode in BAsecamp, a route can be plotted along these tracks, which will then transfer to the Zumo correctly. ***

OR

Also in Basecamp, you can draw a track, freehand. Tools -> Track and that gives a pencil. You can keep the mouse button pressed to draw curves, or for a more accurate placing, click a series of points close together to get straight lines. on the PC RH mouse button or Escape terminates the track.

The track can be converted into a route. Select the route, right click and Convert selected track to route.

This can then be transferred to the Zumo via the USB cable or transferred to the Garmin Explore Web page to synchronise with the XT. Not going to go into that now.

If you check the route, on the XT, it will follow the path that you plotted as a track.
You can download the track and make that visible on the map as well.

****But - if the satnav is allowed to recalculate at any time - it will do so using its permitted roads, and you are not following them. So it will take you all over the place. Turn off Automatic recalculation.

Apologies, These are just snippets that I know about. I don't know if they relate to the issue that you are having, but my feeling is that they might.

nb - If you load an off road route into the Zumo XT, The Zumo will switch to motorcycle as the mode of transport, but it will keep the route intact. If you switch the route into off road mode, you will get a series of straight lines. Or just one straight line. Keep it as motorcycle and turn autorecalc off.

Let me know if that helps or if I am a long way wide of what you are trying to do !!
Last edited by jfheath on Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Before you try to convert the track to a trip, disable all routable maps. Then convert the track to a trip. Then you can re-enable the routable maps. The new trip that you created should follow the track accurately, even if it includes areas that are not a part of the routable mapset. To verify, you can leave the track visible on the screen in a different color from the Trip you just created and see if they match.
g_in_r
Netherlands

Post by g_in_r »

Hi, I read this small thread and really can't make any sense of the advice. With that I mean, when I follow the advice (if I understand you correctly) I still have the same problems when converting imported GPX tracks to trip, irrespective of the origin of the GPX files. Note that simply using other old Garmin devices such as the Montana gives no problems whatsoever. This is Zumo software so so crap.

It shouldn't be too difficult to have the OSM maps installed and then import a gpx file, ride to the closest section of the route, or start/finish, and then get going with the off-road track. My BMW navigator even did this flawlessly. For months now I have this crap piece of kit that has a nice screen, but it otherwise is completely* useless.

* when driving on a normal road navigating to an address I entered, it seems like a ghost is controlling it, playing music and changing the route randomly. I know that's another problem, but there seems to be nothing good about it. Yes, I will ring it back, but wanted to know if anyone had some insights for the track trip issue, as I will try to use it one more time before bringing it back.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It is difficult to give any advice if you do not give specific information.

eg:
g_in_r wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:25 pm ... when I follow the advice (if I understand you correctly) I still have the same problems when converting imported GPX tracks to trip, irrespective of the origin of the GPX files.
1. What are the problems that you are having ? You don't say.
2. Where the GPX file comes from and what it contains is very important. GPX files are used for different purposes.
a) A GPX file may contain a number of stored Waypoints. No route, no track. Just stored locations or favourites.
b) A GPX file may contain just tracks - hundreds of points that represent a line that can be drawn on a map. They are not navigable.
c) A GPX file may contain a route. That is a number of route points which the mapping software eg The Zumo can use to plan a route using navigable features (eg road, track, footpath, river, .. etc. Which features it can use depends on the map, the mode of transport and the vehicle. Typically for the Zumo, it is a motorcycle travelling along roads. It works out the route and may recalculate it if you deviate from the route.

One of your later comments (it seems like a ghost is controlling it ) is typical of how I felt when I got my Zumo 590 and again when I got my XT. It had more to do with the fact that I thought I knew what the satnav should be doing, but it was actually doing something different.

So for example - you think you are following a particular route because youc an see the magenta line ont he screen - but the satnav keeps taking you away fromt eh line that you can see. This is invariably due to the satnav recalculating a route because you have missed visiting one of the route points.

Another example - my current understanding (I am still learning), is that the the XT can not calculate an off-road route using its inbuilt maps. But it can follow a route that has been created elsewhere, or from a track. But in order to do this, the automatic recalculation has to be turned off, otherwise the stanav is always trying to use its map of navigable routes - and tries to get you back to a road.
That notion may be completely wrong - but I haven't been able to get out and check out what the TopoActive maps do. Garmin says - "Includes routable street and off-road networks" - but in a couple of tests of known off road tracks (B.O.A.T. - Byways Open to all Traffic her in the UK), I could not get the satnav to plot a route along them.

Sometimes it actually IS the Zumo doing odd things. But I have only come across two situations so far. One - the closest entry point - is now fixed. The other which relocates a shaping point is still int he queue. Make sure you have the latest software installed. It is currently version 2.90, and once installed, make sure you shut down the Zumo completely by holding in the power button for about 5 seconds and responding to the on screen prompt. Then check for new software again. I prefer to do this Via Garmin Express and the USB cable.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
g_in_r
Netherlands

Post by g_in_r »

First, thanks so much. Really happy that this is active!

1. What are the problems that you are having ? You don't say.

When converting to trip the Zumo device hangs. Usually stops at about 11 or 12%

2. Where the GPX file comes from and what it contains is very important. GPX files are used for different purposes.

Maps from: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

For this example >> GPX from the TET website: https://transeurotrail.org/netherlands/#0/37/-64

a) A GPX file may contain a number of stored Waypoints. No route, no track. Just stored locations or favourites.

So? it works with other Garmin devices. Just this one is useless.

b) A GPX file may contain just tracks - hundreds of points that represent a line that can be drawn on a map. They are not navigable.

No no, These are routes are standardised across Europe with 10's of thousands of riding miles.
These files (and all other GPX) are NOT compatible with my workflow. Other Garmin devices using the same OSM maps work.

c) A GPX file may contain a route. That is a number of route points which the mapping software eg The Zumo can use to plan a route using navigable features (eg road, track, footpath, river, .. etc. Which features it can use depends on the map, the mode of transport and the vehicle. Typically for the Zumo, it is a motorcycle travelling along roads. It works out the route and may recalculate it if you deviate from the route.

??

One of your later comments (it seems like a ghost is controlling it ) is typical of how I felt when I got my Zumo 590 and again when I got my XT. It had more to do with the fact that I thought I knew what the satnav should be doing, but it was actually doing something different.

So for example - you think you are following a particular route because youc an see the magenta line ont he screen - but the satnav keeps taking you away fromt eh line that you can see. This is invariably due to the satnav recalculating a route because you have missed visiting one of the route points.

No, it jumps between different applications, and set its own destination. I can see the screen highlighting where it appears to being pressed by a user. It is strange to see and of course also dangerous. Dangerous because distracts and you look at the device when you should be riding.

Note, this is a new thing, that I noticed when using on the highway.

Another example - my current understanding (I am still learning), is that the the XT can not calculate an off-road route using its inbuilt maps. But it can follow a route that has been created elsewhere, or from a track.

Ofc , that's what they have always done, and why I purchased this

But in order to do this, the automatic recalculation has to be turned off, otherwise the stanav is always trying to use its map of navigable routes - and tries to get you back to a road.
That notion may be completely wrong - but I haven't been able to get out and check out what the TopoActive maps do. Garmin says - "Includes routable street and off-road networks" - but in a couple of tests of known off road tracks (B.O.A.T. - Byways Open to all Traffic her in the UK), I could not get the satnav to plot a route along them.

Sometimes it actually IS the Zumo doing odd things. But I have only come across two situations so far. One - the closest entry point - is now fixed. The other which relocates a shaping point is still int he queue. Make sure you have the latest software installed. It is currently version 2.90, and once installed, make sure you shut down the Zumo completely by holding in the power button for about 5 seconds and responding to the on screen prompt. Then check for new software again. I prefer to do this Via Garmin Express and the USB cable.

I have the latest software (2.90)

So, I am interested in your answers, or anyones to that matter.
I'll also call the vendor to see what they have to say.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

2ab&c - I was just pointing out that a GPX file may contain any of those things. So for example. If someone assumes that the GPX file they have received contain a route - they could be wrong. It may just contain a track.

My XT screen is VERY sensitive. Mine recognises my finger before I even touch the screen. Some have reported raindrops being recognised as a finger press. If your device is changing at random as if someone has pressed the screen, get in touch with Garmin - get it changed. You won't get anything to work properly if your ghost is changing things at random.