Media player / Spotify compatibility?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Norrie83
Great Britain

Media player / Spotify compatibility?

Post by Norrie83 »

I can’t seem to get a definitive answer on this one.

Has the Zumo XT got Spotify installed like a previous model ?

If not is there anyway to play it from my phone and control stop, next track etc etc from the Zumo XT ?

When out I listen to Spotify through my headset so would be a handy feature to have

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance 😃
Vespamarc
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
Belgium

Re: Media player / Spotify compatibility?

Post by Vespamarc »

It has not.
You have control by phone. Play, stop, forward, shuffle... all on screen.
16360.png
16360.png (512.29 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
7806.png
7806.png (353.24 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The Zumo 595 which has a Spotify App and connects to Spotify via the Garmin Smartphone Link App. This gives the Zumo 595 the ability to Browse through the music categories and to select Albums, artists , playlists etc from Spotify and control it through a media player type app. You have to load the Spotify App on the phone first. It sounds brilliant in theory, but I find it very clicky in the earphones - to the extent that I decided I didn't want that, and resorted to using my mp3 files on the Zumo if I wanted music.

The Zumo XT does not have a separate App for Spotify. The Music App on the XT will pick up the smartphone as a music source and the controls to play, pause, skip forward and back will all control whatever the Smartphone is playing. So if the smartphone is set up to play a playlist on Spotify, the XT can control that playlist. If you want to change to a different album, playlist or artist, then you have to do that on the smartphone itself.
The same applies to radio programs and any other music being played on the smartphone. I have not yet found a way that it is able to get hold of raw mpr3 files on the smartphone - without them being played by a media player on the phone - although that may be possible.

It seems that basically, the browse feature is disabled when getting sound from the smartphone - you can just skip fwd and back, play and pause. Brose is available when the MP£ folder on the Zumo XT is selected.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Hobbington
Has liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Hobbington »

Thank you jfjeath for the info - I've been wondering why I couldn't browse music like I used to on the 595.
This is a massive backward step for Garmin, along with the ludicrous choice to go with an outdated usb format.
Shame, because the XT is otherwise a much better device.