Export track from Basecamp to Zumo 595

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
ZumoPete
Has liked: 17 times
Australia

Export track from Basecamp to Zumo 595

Post by ZumoPete »

Hi, I have a 9 day ride so I created 9 track (one for each day), I called each one D1 start to fininsh, D2 xxxxx up to D9 xxxxxx (so that I could easily identify them). They names show up correctly on Basecamp but but I transfer them to the 595 the D1, D2 tc for each track is deleted. Also, sometimes the "start" name that I have used is a co-ordinate. Any idea on what i am doing wrong?
Cheers & thanks.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Export track from Basecamp to Zumo 595

Post by jfheath »

Did you get this sorted ?

Do you mean that you created tracks, or do you mean routes ?

The Zumo will often change the names of some route points that you have given in Basecamp, but there are ways to prevent it from happening.
I have never seen it change the name of the route - but Basecamp will autoname the route if you dont untick the box.

I can probably give you the answer to these issues, but I am not sure that I understand exactly what you are seeing.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I have found that the Zumo will change the route name if it is too long. I use a lot of names without using vowels or simply name them "Day 1", "Day 2", etc. I also leave out the start name. Even my feeble mind can remember the name I see is where I'm going :) so I'll use something like "to Grnvl" to mean "Day Trip, From Asheboro, NC to Greenville, SC". I also often do a route preview on the Zumo to ensure I'm using the correct route. I've sometimes transferred multiple choices.

Customizing route properties (I'm assuming ROUTE v. TRACK) helps too.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That's a good point Russ - something that I do automatically now. I usually prefix everything with a date number, which helps.

Also in Basecamp if you set the date and time for first point in the route, that affects the sequence in which items appear in the list - particularly on the 595 and 590.

The XT AND 595 changes the size of the lettering if it cannot fit the full name onto the display.

The 660 has a cunning trick
If you put the word 'from' in the name of your route, it splits the name of the route onto two lines.

eg My Next destination from where I am now

will be displayed as

My next destination
from where I am now.

with the second line in smaller type than the top line.

[Edit] - this was on the 660. I've just switched my 590 back to the 590 software to check. The 590 doesn't use the 'from' trick.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.