Unmapped Roads and Zumo 590/595/XT

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Unmapped Roads and Zumo 590/595/XT

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:13 am The last two routes I posted went off almost error free. With neither one will my 595 skip a shaping point on its own when the route is rejoined. And at no time am I ever given a pop-up screen asking if I want to skip a point. I have my recalculation set to Prompt: if I say yes I get uturn instructions. If I say no I can follow the route with a banner at the top to uturn. Each time I had to pull over and manually skip when a shaping point was missed.
Well that is good progress !

The Zumo 595 normally puts up a skip message after you have ignored two instructions to turn towards the next point.

But it doesn't count 'U' turns ! I checked on that today. As soon as I had ignored two instructions that weren't U turns, it popped up the Skip message on the right of the screen.

Try disabling U turns.
Try setting recalculation to automatic.

Plot a route across a town and then deliberately ignore the instructions and see what happens. (Its easier in a town or a village, as the satnav doesn't have to do a U turns to get you to the next point - there are lots of other ways.)

Let us know what happens.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I've finally had a chance to check out some possibilities. Remade (with Base Camp) a familiar route with several different opportunities for bypassing shaping points. The route consists of start, finish and all shaping (no via or way) points. Set recalculation to automatic and disabled uturns. Here's what happens:

I deliberately bypassed a shaping point and rejoined the route. In fact I did this several times. Not once did the 595 skip a shaping point and continue on with the route. It continued to route me back to the missed point over and over. One time I had already passed over two additional shaping points and it still wanted me to go back to the first missed one. Another time I had rejoined the route and traveled nearly 40 miles- the 595 simply would not skip the point. I had to manually skip each shaping point I bypassed.

Disabling uturns accomplished not being instructed to make a uturn. That's all. Instead the 595 simply routed me off the route and around a block to go back. Over and over it did this.

The route recalculation I can't say. It spent a lot of time recalculating making me turn around.

Also, once again, the preview of the route on the device matched perfectly what I did in Base Camp. But once Go is pressed, the route is recalculated to a different one. This time the new route was 1.5 hrs and 60 miles longer than the one I made.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by Iris »

My 590 has had trouble skipping via points lately.
She’s being a bitch lately!!
I wonder if it’s a latest update glitch.
I have mine set to NEVER recalculate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - [mention]rbentnail[/mention]

That may be correct behaviour. When you miss a shaping point, the satnav WILL redirect you to go back to it, and it will only stop nagging IF you join the original route AFTER the shaping point that you are trying to miss and head towards the next Shaping point.

Sometimes it is difficult to know whether you are on the route to the 3rd point or still on the magenta line back to the 2nd point, but driving against the flow.

Post that file and tell me wher you actually drove I'll tell you what I think the satnav was doing.

There are some settings that may be affecting the 'skip' function on the 595. I have never changed them to see what happens, I will experiment.

[mention]Iris[/mention]

What version of the firmware do you have ? It hasn't been updated for some time on the 590.

But the 590 will not automatically skip a Via Point. It will only skip shaping points under the conditions described above. You have to select Skip from the display of map tools, (the 3 bar menu, bottom right of the map screen) - and by default, Skip isn't ine if the tools on show. You have to put it there from the Map Tools menu.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:22 pm Ok - @rbentnail

That may be correct behaviour. When you miss a shaping point, the satnav WILL redirect you to go back to it, and it will only stop nagging IF you join the original route AFTER the shaping point that you are trying to miss and head towards the next Shaping point.
This is not correct. My 595 NEVER stops nagging and NEVER skips a point.

Sometimes it is difficult to know whether you are on the route to the 3rd point or still on the magenta line back to the 2nd point, but driving against the flow.
I did as you say several times. No skipping by the 595 at all. I had to skip each point manually.

Post that file and tell me where you actually drove I'll tell you what I think the satnav was doing.
File below

There are some settings that may be affecting the 'skip' function on the 595. I have never changed them to see what happens, I will experiment.
I can live with most of it's quirks if only there were some way to see the actual calculated route in a preview. I get the impression folks don't believe it but a preview of the route is not always the route calculated later. This one sticking item is killing me! The route below is in fact one of these instances. How can I know that it will route like I told it to, the same way it's showing me it's going to?

This one question above all else will help me.
Attachments
to Banner Elk 1.gpx
(240.3 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by Iris »

I have put skip on the device menu.
I push it once I have passed the via point (that I no longer wish to go to) and she just ignores me. Keeps trying to get me to go back.
I don’t know what device update is the latest. I always update though when I have the option.
It’s okay. I’ll probably figure it out but my husband’s 590 is doing the same thing and not skipping when we ask it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

1. Press Skip again
2. Repeat 1 until it stops asking you to go back.

I don't know your route, or how many route points you have passed before you pressed 'Skip', but pressing skip removes the next route point in the Zumos list. If you have passed 3 route points, then you may have to press it 3 times before it starts navigating you forward on the route.

But if you have auto-recalculate turned off - as I believ is what you said - it will not actually start navigating until you get back onto the magenta line, no matter how many times you press skip.