Trip planner strange behaviour

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
US00678
Italy

Trip planner strange behaviour

Post by US00678 »

Hi there, yesterday I decided to plan a trip via the XT Trip Planner appl, not using Basecamp, I've noticed the following.

If the trip is just a direct route from the Start Location to the Destination no issues, but adding an intermediate location may lead to unexpected results.

To deep dive the the issue today I just created a simple trip between 3 locations (Sassoleone>Monzuno>Rioveggio) all 3 are small towns in my area in Italy close to Bologna. I've simply used the "Search" function, selected the Start Location (Sassoleone), then the Destination (Rioveggio) then the middle location as I wanted my trip passing via Monzuno.

Whenever a middle location like a Town is selected the XT asks "Selecting a city will stop at the city centre. Routing without stopping instead?" (Yes/No). Answering "No" an actual waypoint is created in the trip (orange flag sign) and everithing runs as expected, when the trip is calculated the waypoint is part of the trip.

Answering "Yes" the location apparently becomes a "shaping point" (blue dot icon) but is not considered in the trip, I've the impression that the XT is not able to manage this shaping points in the Trip planner. The intemediate locations can be easily switched from waypoint to shaping ponts clicking the orange flag (if created ad waypoint answering No) or the blue dot (if created as shaping point answering Yes), but once created as shaping points they are not considered correctly even if switched to waypoint.

Moreover some crazy, unwanted, shaping points appear, sometimes, in the trip, always linked to the "Yes" answers, the other type of locations like addresses or saved waypoints or categories item etc. etc. are set by default as waypoints, but if you switch them to shaping points same mess occurs.

The above both with "fast route" or "shorter distance", I'm currently in v2.70 with CN Europe NTU v2020.30

Ciao
lehug
Been liked: 3 times
France

Re: Trip planner strange behaviour

Post by lehug »

Trip planner is quite bad from my experience.
Very hard to add an intermediate point, i also had this issue with the "yes/no" for the routing, couldn't figure out what was the difference =D.

Also, several time i lost trips while making them, because i was looking on maps/phone/asking my girl where we wanted to go, after 3min the unit is shutting down =( , and there is no "temporary memory", all gone.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Shouldn't be shutting off although you can set screen to do so on some models
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

sussamb wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:25 am Shouldn't be shutting off although you can set screen to do so on some models
if no power, there is a screen setting to turn off after X time
lehug
France

Post by lehug »

JS_racer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:29 pm
sussamb wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:25 am Shouldn't be shutting off although you can set screen to do so on some models
Set mine to 5min, which is the max (otherwise it's never, which is not ok neither)
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Mine's set to never, not an issue.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

JS_racer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:29 pm
Aware of that but the OP doesn't mention shutting off power.
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Changing a via point to a shaping point on the XT and the 595 can often result in the point being renamed and moved to a different location.
I have tested it with 3-point routes:

Where the mid point is deliberately placed to force the route to take a minor road, when changing it to a shaping point, it often moves it onto a road that would be on the fastest route between the start and end point ie by-passing the original intended road.

I have reported it a while back. It was acknowledged as a fault, but after 3 updates, it still has not been fixed.

Perhaps if more people complained ..... ?

Nb 2.90 fixed many issues with closest entry point, although it was never mentioned. Perhaps if you update ??

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.