Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: XT and LiveTrack

Post by jfheath »

This reply is to do with the Bubbler App for Android and SpotWalla only

I have Bubbler Pro, having tried and liked the free version. £10 isn't a bad price to pay for the functionality, I decided.

Bubble Pro allows a maximum update frequency of every 5 minutes if you want. The fastest rate for the free version was every 15 minutes.

It is designed to work with the SpotWalla website, so to set it up, you need to have created a SpotWalla account, which is free to use. The interface allows you to specify Bubbler running on an Android, and you need to activate the Bubbler API for it to work properly. (This is simply a matter of selecting it from a drop down list).

You can set up any number of devices on SpotWalla - so you can if you wish give the same device a number of different names. You can create 'trips' which are linked to a device - so you could set up the same Android smartphone with different names and assign different trips to each one. It would be a way of keeping trips separate for different audiences. But I'll stick with just one device.

A trip has a time window. It might be for just one day, but I decided to set up a trip for the whole of 2020. Any data coming from the smartphone will then go into that trip. The advantage of this is that the URL for that trip remains the same, so you don't have to give family or friends a new link for every trip you take. The track will be added to the existing ones.
The Web Interface which shows the map and your track has a filter - it calls them 'Adjustments', so it is easy to see just the activity for the current day.

The web page of the trip can be set up as Private - requiring a password. But the link that you can send to family and friends has an access code built in, which bi-passes the need to enter a password.

The map plots a series of points 5 minutes apart, joined with straight lines. This looks a bit clunky for short trips, but on longer trips it produces a pretty decent trace.

Email - the App on the smartphone has a Camera Email facility which allows an email client to be set up to use for sending a photo with a message.

It also has a 'message' system which puts an icon onto the map (eg refuelling, food, gone to bed, - or simply - I'm Ok). You simply tap the appropriate icon and that puts the same icon on the map. There is also the option to take and add a photo and brief message. This too puts up the icon on the map, and a click gets the viewer the message and the photo. T

Most 'message' icons can be made to trigger an email to be sent. This is done at home by preparing an email 'profile'. Write the message, save it and assign it to one of the icons - so simply tapping the message icon on the smartphone causes the email to be sent to the list of recipients listed in the profile. Of course it is a standard message, but it can be completed with all sorts of variable information such as current position, speed, a link to a SpotWalla map that will show your current position or a link to a map that shows the track with the points plotted at roughly 5 minute intervals.

Once set up, all you have to do at the start is turn on Bubbler, and tap an appropriate icon and people in the message list get an email with a link to your current activity - and then leave Bubbler to do its job.

It is what Live Track would do on the 595 and what I think that XT should be doing. It may still do, but so far I have had no success.

----------------

The Zumo Explore feature - Still no success with that. I went out yesterday and then manually uploaded the track that I had recorded. The current position is hard to pin down, because when I came back, of course the last plotted position was from a time before I left. I can only find that the XT updates periodically, and it doesn't say that it updates the current position.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

Bubbler is definitely a great program... my most used feature is sms texting, and that has been removed due to google.
For that reason, I am stuck on an old version.... I am able to hit the fuel, it composes a sms text, with a link to Google maps, and a message if desired. I send these as ok messages to my wife.
The current paid version does not have the text messaging.

I guess I could run 2 versions. ... new pro, and old free for sms... per the developer, I was advised not to update my version, and not to purchase the pro due to the removed feature.

If the xt is able to do the tracking, that would be a nice bonus

Thanks for the live track update. ....thinking outloud, there was a check box to share data or something on the explore page,
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

JS_racer wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:59 pm Thanks for the live track update. ....thinking outloud, there was a check box to share data or something on the explore page,
Yes, I have been experimenting with that - but so far it seems to be acting on tracks that have been completed and saved, rather than one that it is still recording. I need to get a laptop and the satnav in the car and see what ahppens when I move away from my desk.
If I record a track - everytime I visit the recording screen it synchronises - or says that it does. But there is no evidence of a track as yet. But while I am looking at the web page ont he computer, the satnav hasn't moved - so maybe it needs to move before it sends out another point.
I don't want to keep pressing a button on the screen every so often to update my position on the webpage.

I'll have to arrange some time with gadgets in the car !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:04 pm
Yes, I have been experimenting with that - but so far it seems to be acting on tracks that have been completed and saved, rather than one that it is still recording. I need to get a laptop and the satnav in the car and see what ahppens when I move away from my desk.
(...)
I did experiments yesterday with a car, Zumo XT and a laptop. It seems that only option to show our position is to record track and save it. Nothing like live track. What I would like to see in next upgrade is at least an ability to send location with short message to predefined number. Now, when we pair a phone with Zumo, there is an “call home” icon. There is place for “send location” ;)

I can understand business model with InReach subscription but I do like to have just this option on Garmin menu. InReach is much above my needs. And too expensive.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That is useful confirmation [mention]Zumek[/mention]

Rather than have a button on the screen to report the current position, I would much rather that it updated the information automatically at frequent intervals. It already has the connection to the smartphone and its network connection, and it has the Drive App running.

The problem with buttons on the screen is that the satnav falls into a similar group of appliances as a mobile phone - operation of which when driving / riding attracts very harsh penalties in the UK. I'd much rather set it up and leave it alone to do its thing.

Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:30 am(...)
The problem with buttons on the screen is that the satnav falls into a similar group of appliances as a mobile phone - operation of which when driving / riding attracts very harsh penalties in the UK. I'd much rather set it up and leave it alone to do its thing.
Right but remember that Garmin has money to earn. Automatic position report is ready to use with InReach... Expensive but working around the world. As they say.

Such a feature would be great gift for all of us who doesn’t go for an expeditions, just wandering in our countries. Or near them. Mainly in cell towers area... Maybe we should ask Garmin for such a small change in their software? Who knows, maybe their will listen to us.
XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

The Live Track option that 595LM and Smartphone Link had, now are available (sort of...) with Garmin Explore option, named MapShare (it uses your phone data).

Live Track was much better and incredibly much more straightforward.

Garmin now only consider making changes on the XT or a newer device depending how many people asks for it. The same happens with the ability to choose which apps we want to receive notifications from (like with 595LM and Smartphone Link too).

It's stupid has hell but it's their new policy, and i have e-mails where they told me that.

So, it all depends on all of us and how much we pressure Garmin for it.

That, the ability to choose the apps individually, the 1024 mp3 songs, the lack of Spotify, etc, are options that not all people want (for example, for me it doesn't matter if they removed Spotify) but if we all think on everybody needs and not only on ours, probably we could make pressure for Garmin to include/fix the lack of all that options.

A new Zumo (after 4 years with people complaining about paying so much for the 595LM that on really bright days was terribly difficult to see) with a so much better display and cheaper, had to have a trick in the sleeve...

Ok, InReach can sort the lack of the Live Track but it's very expensive (the equipment and then the month or annual plan to use it) and only justified for a few people on a fewer situations.

Thanks Garmin...
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

XIKO29 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:42 pm The Live Track option that 595LM and Smartphone Link had, now are available (sort of...) with Garmin Explore option, named MapShare (it uses your phone data).
I thought I had investigated that possibility. I only managed to transfer routes - not enable people to see a track on a map as I was riding.
I've obviously missed something - can you point me in the right direction please.

XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:08 pm
XIKO29 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:42 pm The Live Track option that 595LM and Smartphone Link had, now are available (sort of...) with Garmin Explore option, named MapShare (it uses your phone data).
I thought I had investigated that possibility. I only managed to transfer routes - not enable people to see a track on a map as I was riding.
I've obviously missed something - can you point me in the right direction please.
I didn't "investigate" much but on the Explorer app, if you go to your account, you'll see there the "MapShare". Anyway, 1st go to Garmin Explore website, login, and then you can create a personal URL for sharing with someone, and also set a password (optional).

Live Track was MUCH better.
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

has anyone figured out how or what this does ??
i have it set up, with a pw as well, but not sure what information is shared.

my location changed to where i was yesterday, and started a trip. but thats it, just the blue triangle , no tracks.