Exporting GPX file

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
yorkie
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Exporting GPX file

Post by yorkie »

I have created a number of routes for an upcoming trip using Basecamp set to my motorcycle profile.
If I email these routes to someone else, they download them and then import them into their own Zumo will the routes stay as I intend them or, if their motorcycle profile is different to mine, will they alter automatically??
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: Exporting GPX file

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome to the forum

They could well be calculated differently depending on the settings

The ideal way is to add many shaping points to ensure they stay the same
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Probably better sending it as a track, or both so they can compare the two.
yorkie
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

Hi, thanks for the replies. How about if I were to go into Route Options and save the route as a Customised Route before I sent the GPX file, I'm guessing it would then retain it's properties. Am I correct??
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No idea, you'd need to try it and see
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I think the route would be changed based on profile. When I made route using Base Camp in the motorcyling profile and then switched over to driving, many of the routes changed.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

When the profile is changed, the route changes. The profile is simply a way of storing information about the routing preferences in BaseCamp. That is all.

If you set the car profile with exactly the same settings as the motorcycle profile, then the route would not change if you switched it from motorcycle to car. The problem with changing a profile is that every single route that you created with that profile is then recalculated.

The custom profile gets round this issue. It is a one off setting. You can have many different custom profiles. Each one only relates to one route. The Zumo doesn't know what to do with a custom profile, so since it is a device intended for use on a motorcycle, it defaults to motorcycle.

When you load a motorcycle route into the Zumo, and start it, the Zumo switches itself to Motorcycle mode.

The only other information sent from Basecamp to the Zumo is the routing preferences - that is Faster Time, Shortest Distance or Curvy Roads. Nothing else about routing preferences is sent.

So when a motorcycle route set with (say) faster time as a calculation mode is sent to the Zumo 590, and the route is loaded, ithe Zumo 590 switches to Motorcycle mode, and it sets the routing preferences for that route to 'Faster Time'. This is regardless of what is set for the motorcycle in the Zumo 590, before the route was loaded.

The route is transmitted exactly as it appeared in BaseCamp. It is locked in place by thousands of invisible routing points. If the route is recalculated, then the route's routing preferences are used by the Zumo to calculate a new route.

Recalculation will take place when the route is loaded if the map on the Zumo is not identical to the map used in Basecamp; if the map was loaded from some external program; or if there are no 'ghost points' in the route.

The Zumo will also recalculate a section of the route if the rider deviates from the plotted route.

In either case the route will still visit every shaping point and via point in the route.

By placing shaping points strategically, it is possible to make sure that whatever the Zumo does, it will follow the intended roads in order to pass through each routing point.

If the user is stupid enough to select the end point when prompted to select the 'Next Destination' when starting the route, the Zumo will ignore every single routing point and find its own way to the end point. For normal routes it is best to have the start point on the first main road to be ridden after the start, and select that. The satnav will take you to it, and then start to navigate the planned route.

Note that the 595 behaves differently from the 590. It uses the preferences set for the motorcycle that are set in the Zumo, and ignores what was set in the Basecamp route.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
oldwobbler
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by oldwobbler »

I need a bit of help with this please.

I plan a European trip in Basecamp. When I send it to my 660 the routes move over exactly as planned. The problems start when I share the routes with the other people going on the trip. Some have 590's and some 660's. There does not seem to be an issue with anyone with a 660 - its the 590's that cause the problem. I always ask everyone to get the latest map and make sure we have the same preferences set before they load the routes to the Zumo. Is there anything else I need to check? What is the best format to share routes between users of 660's and 590's?

Also (please remember I dont have a 590!) when the people with a 590 re start a route after having a break how do they know where to re start it? Unless you know exactly the road you are on before you stop the Zumo just gives you a list of route points. I don't have this issue with my 660 - it just restarts from where I stopped.

Thanks in advance!
yorkie
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

I'll offer a suggestion for the latter part of this question, although I don't doubt that someone with far more knowledge than I will prove it wrong.

When taking a break mid route do not "stop" the route, just let the 590 close itself down and when you place it back in the cradle and it comes on again simply press the "View Map" icon and it will just carry on the route.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

What is the problem when you share a route? Difficult to help when you don't say what the problem is?