CN EU 2020.20 NTU

sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

CN EU 2020.20 NTU

Post by sussamb »

Map was released a few days ago, so fill your boots :)
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: CN EU 2020.20 NTU

Post by jfheath »

I have just been having all sorts of problems with this map - as I did with 2020.10 before it. I hoped that they would have fixed the issue, but apparently not.

The problem is that when a route is created on Basecamp with the new maps, it transfers perfectly well to the Zumo 590, But when it is imported, it takes an age to recalculate. A couple of minutes per route. Now this is not supposed to happen - there is no need for the route to be calculated at all - that is the beauty of transferring it from Basecamp - it already has the precise route stored in the hundreds of GPXX extension point (ghost points).

Also the route recalculates everything when the route is started. No matter what. It is normal for the route to calculate from the current position to the start point, but this is taking long enough to do everything again.

I took the precaution of recalculating the route for the new 2020.20 map - so that wasn't the issue. I also created a brand new route to check. Both recalculated on import.

I have yet to contact Garmin, but I managed to re-install my 2019.3 using the original gmap file in mapsource and exporting a section of the map to Zumo. It worked, but there must be a better way of reverting back to older maps ? I would have been stuck if I hadn't found the gmap file.

Anyway - I carried out the same process with the 2019.3 map just to verify that recalculation does not take place on import. All was well.

Any suggestions anyone ?

(There was a similar issue a few years back when one of the maps or route had a different version number in Basecamp from the map or route in Zumo. One was something like 2016.3 the other was something like 2016.30. It was enough to make the Zumo think that the route had been created with a different map, and therefore had to recalculate).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If it's the name that's causing the issue you can use either Device Manager or GMTK from JaVaWa to change it, see http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html and http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Having said that I'm not having any issues with the latest map.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

My problem solved.

I got onto Garmin Support. He was surprised by what I described and wanted to go through the process with me - except I had deleted the maps and reinstalled 2019.3 (Which I discovered can be done from the gmap file, using Mapsource to send areas to the Zumo).

So I reinstalled the 2020.20 maps. Tried again. Same problem. So I did a complete uninstall of maps, Basecamp, Mapsource, and then reinstalled them in the reverse order - Mapsource, BAsecamp, 2020.20 maps. Cleared out Zumo of everything in the Current and Temp files, recalculated all of my routes for the 2020.20 maps and tried again.

It all worked well. Routes flash 'Calculating' for a brief moment rather than the 2 minutes - which is what I expected. So what was wrong, I don't know.

The map selection window in Mapsource and Basecamp now both show 2020.2 - I could swear that it was 2020.20 before.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Glad all resolved :D
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Re-thinking this, going over why the map title in the drop down selector now says 2020.2, wheras it said 2020.20 before.

The only difference is the installation. Previously i had installed the maps in drive E:\Garmin. The installation added the necessary shortcut. Having read about this on this forum, I changed it to where It defaults to. In C-Program Data etc.

Maybe that was the difference.

One day, when i have some paint that needs me to keep an eye on whike it is drying, i will experiment. I hate unexplained issues.

Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by Iris »

I’m thinking of ordering a Europe map on a disk for my Zumo.
Does everything seem to be running well on this latest update got Europe?

I actually have to order two disks (my husband and I each need one for our trip to Europe) and GARMIN won’t send updates because this will be a one time purchase.
Just want to make sure all is well before we drop $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Its working as I would expect, now I have installed it to the default on drive C (as described above).

But have you seen the Open Street Maps https://www.openstreetmap.org/ ? They are quite detailed and work well. There is no speed limit information stored with the maps, but I actually quite like the detail on the display.

You need to do a bit of reading and research in order to select, extract and prepare the files for the Zumo. This is because the maps are available for the whole world. Its been a while since I did it so I can't remember the steps. But I ended up with a gmapsupp.img

We have friends who rode from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska, and then again from UK to Australia using these world maps.

sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Note if you want the map elsewhere on your PC the GMTK program I linked to above will move it correctly for you.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for the link @sussamb. I have downloaded that now. It came in useful for my next little project, which I have just posted.

In my response to @Iris a couple of days ago, I mentioned OpenStreetMaps - something that I have downloaded and used before. I thought I would go back and remind myself about what I did. What a quagmire of information. All useful stuff, but very difficult to find exactly what you are looking for with so many mirror servers offering similar stuff in different format.

So I put together a simple how to with all of the relevant links, images and screenshots. I did ot for UK maps, but OSM covers the entire world.

I've placed it in the How To Board - the very first posting in there !

Link here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=544