How to put maps onto your PC

Adobney
Great Britain

Re: How to put maps onto your PC

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:47 pm If Express has replaced the 2013 map with 2018.20 it will be in the .system folder, Map folder is only used for supplementary maps.

Check to see if you have a gmapprom.img file in the .system folder

If not did you allow Express to complete the install and did you do a safe eject from your PC?

Also have you rebooted your Zumo? If so what shows in Settings, Map & Vehicles, myMaps?

(If necessary I will send the map files I've downloaded against that xml file you sent me directly to you to place in the .system folder)
this is a pic of the files in the .system folder.
Capture11.PNG
Capture11.PNG (141.1 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
no sign of a gmapprom.img file.

Express did complete the install, but I did not do a safe eject (mea culpa).
have rebooted zumo, and there is absolutely nothing showing in Settings, Map & Vehicles, myMaps? just white screen.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can delete all those .gma and .unl files. Try sending the map again but do a safe eject, if the map file is still being written by Windows it'll corrupt and won't work. If still no joy pm me your email and I'll send the files directly for you to copy and place in the .system folder
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:08 pm You can delete all those .gma and .unl files. Try sending the map again but do a safe eject, if the map file is still being written by Windows it'll corrupt and won't work. If still no joy pm me your email and I'll send the files directly for you to copy and place in the .system folder
OK, so the internal memory looks like this.
Capture12.PNG
Capture12.PNG (198.32 KiB) Viewed 4923 times
and the memory card looks like this.
Capture13.PNG
Capture13.PNG (117.67 KiB) Viewed 4923 times
this was after using mapinstall (whilst the memory card was in the zumo) to get the 2018.20 onto the zumo. and on the zumo itself I can see under settings - my installed maps that the 2018.20 is present.
but in file manager (the pics I uploaded above) the map seems to be on the memory card. If I had done mapinstall with the memory card removed from the zumo, would the 2018.20 map be in the internal memory?

when I just sent a route from BC to device, BC shows a message saying that the route will be recalculated because it was created in a different map version. I only have (now) 2018.20 installed on the pc for BC. and i'm pretty sure the route I sent to device was created in 2018.20.
BC still shows only the worldwide autoroute DEM Basemap NR v5.01 as the map on the internal memory.

should I try to remove the img and gma or unl files from the memory card, remove the memory card, and then use mapinstall to transfer the 2018.20 map to the internal memory?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Progress at last :)

Those files on the card correspond exactly to what I got so you now have the map installed correctly.

As for where it is, MapInstall will install the map to where you select, so you must have selected the card?

FYI Express doesn't give you the option, it would normally install to the Zumo and not the card if there is sufficient space on the Zumo, otherwise it would choose the card.

Note if you're not seeing the map in BaseCamp run Express and under Install options select Install to computer.
Last edited by sussamb on Sun May 13, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
scridercoach
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by scridercoach »

Not to hijack this thread to a MAC thread, but I have a quick question that perhaps you more experienced user can answer. So I have a new Zumo 596 with the North America map. When I connect to Garmin Express, it does not show the maps I have and in turn, I don't get the option of transferring my map to my computer and Basecamp. Any ideas? I'm wondering if Garmin has done this purposely? I've deleted and reinstalled express just to be sure. I'm stumped, as I can't seem to get the map to my computer.... at least not simply.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 9.08.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 9.08.12 PM.png (167.67 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Express won't show your original map, you'll only get the options in Express when the next and subsequent maps are released.
scridercoach
United States of America

Post by scridercoach »

sussamb wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:01 am Express won't show your original map, you'll only get the options in Express when the next and subsequent maps are released.
Thank you for verifying this. I've been trying to get a definitive answer. It's kind of silly you can't download the original map the first time around, not sure why Garmin would inhibit that.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Because Express (and MapUpdater before it) were for installing maps, and they can't simply create the files necessary from your installed map. Plus of course BaseCamp unlike Mapsource will read the map from your device.
scridercoach
United States of America

Post by scridercoach »

sussamb wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:56 pm Because Express (and MapUpdater before it) were for installing maps, and they can't simply create the files necessary from your installed map. Plus of course BaseCamp unlike Mapsource will read the map from your device.
I understand what you're saying, however, it would be simple enough upon first registration with Garmin to recognize you are a new customer or are registering a new device and what maps are on your purchased device and then link you to a download for Basecamp. It's obviously just their choice to not do that.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

For the most part Garmin puts out new maps 2 times per year, at which point you can download a new updated map to your computer and device. In the meantime you will just have to connect your device to the computer to see the detailed map. Not to much you can do about it. Even GMTK programs can't take a map out of your device and put it into Basecamp.