Being forced to go back to a waypoint

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 658 times
Great Britain

Re: Being forced to go back to a waypoint

Post by jfheath »

Actually, providing you have gon e through the start point, any route section consisting of only shaping points will behave in a similar way. Rejoin the route anywhere and it will continue navigating from where you are.

It is easier to trust if you try it first with autorecalc disabled - you can more easily see what is happening. Then it is easier to understand what it is doing when you re-enable autorecalc.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Triplog
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Yes I discovered this yesterday when we had to abandon our planned route because of thunderstorms. On the revised route (by selecting the saved end Waypoint) we were able to dodge the high ground and worst of the weather, but continually rejoin the route without a problem.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It is nice when you plan something like that and you have been able to change your plan and know what the satnav is doing when you go off route.
Well done for using the emergency escape route. It is no fun trying to sort out a satnav problem with thunder and lightening all around and rain drops deciding which part of the screen to press next.

It is a good reason for using shaping points for the main part of the route and keeping the Vias for places that you absolutely defintely will not miss out.

Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

It's certainly making me rethink where and when to use Waypoints for a week long trip next month!
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Create a track of each of your finished routes, and display those as well. Then if the route does something odd, you still have a line to follow that will not alter.

How to do that ? Collections is one way to turn tracks on and off. I did it last night but need to do it a few times more to be able to describe it properly.

Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Thanks for the tip- I actually have tested that and had tracks as backups over the last few days. For my trip next month I will have them and may even use them instead of routes. On trying them out I've found if you deviate from the track it automatically displays a dotted line from your current position to the track (I think to the nearest Shaping point)
The link below will give an idea of the severity of the rain and flooding!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn00l4lej12o
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Triplog wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:05 pm It's certainly making me rethink where and when to use Waypoints for a week long trip next month!
Just don't confuse the Waypoints with Via Points and Shaping Points. Like jfheath said before, anything can be a Waypoint. When creating a route, use the Shaping Points (none-alert) for all stages of the route where you need to pass, and Via Points (Alert) ONLY at places you need to stop. You can use the "Favorite"/Waypoints places along the way to be used as a Via Point.
That's how I understand that, although I don't have any "Favorites" (I think it called "Saved" in the US) on my maps.
Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Yeah I'm falling into the years old habit of "Waypoints" are alerting and "Shaping points" are non alerting. I must try and change to Viapoints and Shaping points!
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'll add to that if I may @Fxwheels

There are different types of point (apart from start and finish) that can be used in a route.

There are 'ad-hoc' points - Point and click without any real preparation
There are 'Waypoints' - These have to be created and saved. They may then be used in a route.

Never mind how these are created for now (point/click or create/save). Lets just call them route points.

Any route point can be set to alert on arrival. They are the Via Points.
Any route point cna be set to be silent. They are the Shaping Points.

So you can have Via Point Waypoints and Shaping Point Waypoints.
You can have Via Points which were adhoc (point and click) and Shaping points that were ad-hoc (point and click)

I like to name all of my route points - whether I create them as waypoints first or not. That way you can recognise the name when you view the trip list or the skip list. Once of the 'issues' that was introduced with the 595, the XT and the XT2 will change the name that you allocate to the route points to a place name of its choosing - which I find really annoying and unhelpful. I discovered that if the point was first created as a Waypoint, the Zumo does not alter it. So I got into the habit of using more Waypoints than I really needed to.

Most of these points will be set as Shaping Points - not Via Points. So they were created as Waypoints (Saved) and they do not announce.

I use Via Points (alerting) only for the stopping places - I actually place them after the stopping place so that I pass through them after I have set off. Mostly, I would have created these first as Waypoints, but not always. Sometimes, I'll just drop a point into the route and set is as a Via Point. That doesn't make it a Waypoint though.

The Zumo XT2 doesn't use the terms 'Favourites' or 'Saved'. At long last Garmin have started calling them what they are - Waypoints. None of the adhoc points will appear in the Waypoints list.

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:04 pm So I got into the habit of using more Waypoints than I really needed to.

Most of these points will be set as Shaping Points - not Via Points. So they were created as Waypoints (Saved) and they do not announce.

I use Via Points (alerting) only for the stopping places - I actually place them after the stopping place so that I pass through them after I have set off. Mostly, I would have created these first as Waypoints, but not always. Sometimes, I'll just drop a point into the route and set is as a Via Point. That doesn't make it a Waypoint though.
Ditto for me, but I place my Via Points on the road slightly before the actual place because I want to be alerted 'before' I arrive at the physical place and also because, should I decide not to stop, I can ride past without worrying about having to Skip that point.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.