Variety of Waypoint Icons Not Showing Up?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Variety of Waypoint Icons Not Showing Up?

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Custom Icons are displayed if you utilize Explore with Garmin Drive as the conduit between basecamp and your Zumo XT. This process allows for all transfers to be done wirelessly with the use of a cell phone that has Explore and Garmin Drive loaded on it and paired to the XT.

My process looks like this:

iPhone 13 running iOS 17.4.1 (Paired to Zumo XT)
Garmin Explore App (and Garmin Explore account setup on the web)
Garmin Drive App
Mac Studio running iOS 14.4.1
Basecamp for Mac version 4.8.11

I create a route or track in basecamp, including custom icons for all Points of Interest.
I Export a GPX File from Basecamp
I text or email the file to myself
I open the GPX file on my iPhone using Notes (This happens automatically when you click on the GPX File)
I use the Share button on the iPhone within Notes to share the file with another App
I select the Explore App
The Explore App on my phone lets me know that the file was imported and a new Collection was established in Explore

When my phone and Zumo XT are next to each other, and powered on, they pair via bluetooth and Explore sends the GPX File to my phone using Garmin Drive as the conduit (this happens automatically with the Bluetooth Connection).

The next time I look at my XT and Select "Where To" and click on "Explore"
You can choose which "Collections" are displayed on the screen of the Zumo XT
I can also see the last time Explore was synced with my phone
I can choose anything within a collection to navigate to and can select a "Track" to follow (this does not provide spoken directions)
I personally prefer this most of the time, as I would rather just watch the line rather than have the GPS constantly talking to me and interrupting the music I am listing too, especially because I typically ride a lot of off-road sections that don't have navigable roads anyway, so I am used to looking at the screen)

My Custom Icons that are a part of any collection that is set to display on the screen are there and visible (Not just Green Flags)

If you want to have spoken directions, you can convert the track into a Trip and then access it via the Trip Planner.
You then get the trip converted into a format the Garmin will use to provide Spoken Directions anytime you are on a navigable road.
Also, if you have the Collection that the track was in, set to be visible on the screen, the original "Track" that the "Trip" was built from will be displayed under the "Trip" that you just created.
The Zumo XT will then provide turn-by-turn directions whenever you are on a navigable road.
It will not speak if you leave a navigable road but are still following the line on the screen.
When you return to a navigable road, the Zumo XT will return to giving spoken turn-by-turn directions.

The cool thing about Explore is that you can make any track or POI a part of different collections once you have it in Explore.

A perfect example of this is is illustrated below:
I belong to a 330 acre private motorcycle club.
I used GAIA Premium's Private Property Map Layer to build a "track" that defines the property boundaries of the club, so when riding in the deep woods, it is clear that I am remaining on Club Property.
I also have several POIs of commonly referred to landmarks on the property identified with Custom Icons.
Additionally, I have mapped all of the main trails that lead to those POIs.
Finally, I have mapped Single Track Trails throughout the property.

I have a collection for:
The Property Line
The POIs
The Main Trails
The Single Track Trails

I can display any combination of the collections, or all at once. I also have created a collection that contains them all, so with one collection displayed, they all show.

I know a lot of people don't like Explore and the XT because they don't work just like older Garmin devices. I initially had my own frustrations, but after time, I have come to love the wireless convenience of getting GPX files on the XT and the power of collections. The evolution of the software has proven to be very good in my case.

I can also record a track on the XT, or a Waypoint in the XT and add it to any collection at the time.

I did have to invest some time in learning how to leverage it all, but now, it's super convenient.
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 10 times
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Thank You for all the great information. I will definitely give that a try once I get some time. It would be great to have my waypoint icons showing up. One thing about Explorer it's a love/hate relationship among many. I personally, have never tried it. I normally do everything on my MacBook Pro but, this sounds very interesting. I'll have to take a dive into it due to the rewards that you can get out of it. Thanks again, I really appreciate it! Ray 👍
jfheath
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 632 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for the detailed info @TripleThreat719 .

It's worth mentioning - especially sine @PaulaRay is using point-to-point navigation, the tracks converted to trips do not rely on intermediate route points. Even though Explore, allows you to create waypoints - the points plotted are independent of the route - they are not part of it - so they do not announce on arrival or give distance or ETA .

If you deviate from a track that has been converted to a trip, it recalculates to the closet point of the remainder of the route - which in some circumstances will take you back the way you have traveled, rather than to the next route point ( cos there aren't any).

Nevertheless I reckon that for off road use, this is perfect, and the different methods of navigation are well worth investigating.

I reckon there are 6 main methods on the XT. They are described here
app.php/ZXT-P45.

The following chapter gives some illustration for what @TripleThreat719 was describing.
app.php/ZXT-P55
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:20 pm Thanks for the detailed info @TripleThreat719 .

It's worth mentioning - especially sine @PaulaRay is using point-to-point navigation, the tracks converted to trips do not rely on intermediate route points. Even though Explore, allows you to create waypoints - the points plotted are independent of the route - they are not part of it - so they do not announce on arrival or give distance or ETA .

If you deviate from a track that has been converted to a trip, it recalculates to the closet point of the remainder of the route - which in some circumstances will take you back the way you have traveled, rather than to the next route point ( cos there aren't any).

Nevertheless I reckon that for off road use, this is perfect, and the different methods of navigation are well worth investigating.

I reckon there are 6 main methods on the XT. They are described here
app.php/ZXT-P45.

The following chapter gives some illustration for what @TripleThreat719 was describing.
app.php/ZXT-P55

Thank you.... I'll dig into it in the near future. It does have my interest. Thank again. Ray 👍
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

I should also note that I keep Recalculation turned off. So, if I deviate from a Trip, it doesn't recalculate it.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Thanks, I do the same... Drives me crazy......LOL.👍