Variety of Waypoint Icons Not Showing Up?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 10 times
United States of America

Re: Variety of Waypoint Icons Not Showing Up?

Post by PaulaRay »

More issues.... I've been comparing my waypoints (Via Points) that I created in BC against all the routes that's been imported on my XT. For some reason, at least a third of my waypoints are being re-named in my Trip Planner Saved trips on most of my routes. I checked in my Saved (Favorites) and these names are not there. All of my waypoints that I did name are listed and importe fine. I don't understand why the XT is renaming them upon import in Trip Planner. In BC, I simply highlight one route at a time in the left window in BC > File > Export it to my SD card Garmin folder GPX file folder. Crazy and frustrating to say the least..... 🤬
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 289 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

When exporting, I select the route and then do File > Export > Export Selection to export just the route. Waypoints are included but not importable separately.

As for the renaming issue, I am going to mention @jfheath in the hopes that he will provide his understanding of the renaming issue. AFAIK, renaming should not happen when the waypoint is created with the Waypoint tool in BC. It is known to happen with route points created with the Insert tool or the rubber band method. I'll leave the details up to someone else because it is not something that I experience.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Peobody wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:12 pm When exporting, I select the route and then do File > Export > Export Selection to export just the route. Waypoints are included but not importable separately.
Thanks..... That's exactly what I do as well.

As for the renaming issue, I am going to mention @jfheath in the hopes that he will provide his understanding of the renaming issue. AFAIK, renaming should not happen when the waypoint is created with the Waypoint tool in BC. It is known to happen with route points created with the Insert tool or the rubber band method. I'll leave the details up to someone else because it is not something that I experience.
That has been my experience as well.... I also just use the waypoint tool unless I have to create a shaping point in which I rarely have to do. When I do, I usually don't care what it's named along with making non-alerting. When creating waypoints, I always zoom in all the way to 80ft in BC to make sure my waypoint is on the road. In fact, when I'm done creating a route, I go over it from beginning to end as a final check. This issue has me up in arms for sure. Thanks for all your time in helping me out, I appreciate it big time. Ray
jfheath
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 632 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes - thanks @Peobody .

Sometimes - not every time, but more often than not - route point names from imported routes get renamed when they are imported into the XT. It also happens with the 595.

It isn't a big issue as the names are rarely displayed - Buy are displayed when starting a route (Select Next Destination), and if you want to edit a route using the XT screen.

But points that have been created as Waypoints first - ie using the Waypoint 'flag' tool in Basecamp - will never get altered.
For the XT, it makes sense to make your key locations on your route, as Waypoints.

@FrankB spotted a way to prevent the names from changing if you happen to have OEM maps loaded on your computer.
I can't offhand remember the details - something like having OEM maps loaded and active when you first create the route and name the points. If you then load the Garmin maps and recalculate the route, the names do not get changed by the XT.

Also, names given to route points in MRA do not usually get changed . That is because they miss out the Subclass coded information after a route point in the gpx file.
Ditto Kurviger - but that is because kurviger makes every point a waypoint.

If you are reading this and it doesn't make sense, you may not be aware that a Waypoint is not just any point on a route for a Garmin. It is a point that has been created and saved before it has been added to a route. Waypoints are the only points that appear i the list in Basecamp with the routes and tracks. They a the only points that get placed in Favourites / Saved locations on the XT

Any Waypoint can be set as a shaping point in a route
Any waypoint can be set as a via point in a route

Just like route points that are not waypoints can by set to via or shaping.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

jfheath wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:55 am Yes - thanks @Peobody .

Sometimes - not every time, but more often than not - route point names from imported routes get renamed when they are imported into the XT. It also happens with the 595.
Thank You for the help, I've had that happen on occasion as well but, not to the extent of what I'm seeing now.

It isn't a big issue as the names are rarely displayed - Buy are displayed when starting a route (Select Next Destination), and if you want to edit a route using the XT screen.

But points that have been created as Waypoints first - ie using the Waypoint 'flag' tool in Basecamp - will never get altered.
For the XT, it makes sense to make your key locations on your route, as Waypoints.
That's the tool I always use, I also used it back in my MapSource days. When creating a route, I create all my waypoints, change the icons and rename the waypoint at the same time. I then move on to the next one. Once they're made, I create my route under the Via Point pop up window by dragging them in. The problem I'm seeing now is once imported, many waypoints are changed to the name of the road and/or address, etc. instead of the name I gave it. Looking at the map on the XT, the waypoints are where they belong. Also, I noticed that when the name is different, the coordinates aren't shown underneath it like the unaltered ones in the XT list.Below are some screen shots of one of my routes showing the differences I'm talking about.

@FrankB spotted a way to prevent the names from changing if you happen to have OEM maps loaded on your computer.
I can't offhand remember the details - something like having OEM maps loaded and active when you first create the route and name the points. If you then load the Garmin maps and recalculate the route, the names do not get changed by the XT.
Only maps that I use is Garmins in BC. I"m on Version 4.8.12

Also, names given to route points in MRA do not usually get changed . That is because they miss out the Subclass coded information after a route point in the gpx file.
Ditto Kurviger - but that is because kurviger makes every point a waypoint.
I basically do the same, I always create waypoints with the waypoint flag tool and rarely even use the shapping tool unless I have to force a point on the map. For example; In the mountains.
If you are reading this and it doesn't make sense, you may not be aware that a Waypoint is not just any point on a route for a Garmin. It is a point that has been created and saved before it has been added to a route. Waypoints are the only points that appear i the list in Basecamp with the routes and tracks. They a the only points that get placed in Favourites / Saved locations on the XT

Any Waypoint can be set as a shaping point in a route
Any waypoint can be set as a via point in a route
Just like route points that are not waypoints can by set to via or shaping.
I've also added some screen shots showing how I Export to my Sd card. I always do so on my MacBook Pro. I'd like to add, I alwys reformat my card after taking trips. Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate you and Peobody in taking the time in helping me get this resolved. Ray
Via Points BC.jpg
Via Points BC.jpg (429.66 KiB) Viewed 137 times
C.jpg
C.jpg (114.7 KiB) Viewed 137 times
D.jpg
D.jpg (141.16 KiB) Viewed 137 times
BC Export Window.jpg
BC Export Window.jpg (148.83 KiB) Viewed 137 times
SD Card.jpg
SD Card.jpg (63.41 KiB) Viewed 137 times
jfheath
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 632 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I understand what you are saying @PaulaRay, and I appreciate the evidence that you have sent.

But I cannot see anything that confirms that a point has been created as a Waypoint.
Personally I have never had a Waypoint be changed in name (or position) from when I entered it in Basecamp - but I have a had a lot of route point names (and positions) changed for other points that I have carefully named in Basecamp - one the 595 and the XT, but not on the 590.

I use a PC, not a Mac. That may be a difference.
I wonder if you would mind sending me by PM the gpx file of Day 15 360mi - or create one from BC with just that route if you sent a whole load of data at the same time. I've been quite admanat in the past that Waypoints do not get altered - because it has never happened to me. So this might be a first. I'll be able to tell from the gpx file.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
danham
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

@PaulaRay,

You are exporting the entire "list" known as "Day11 169mi." Try this instead: select that list and in the bottom portion of the BC window, scroll down to just the route itself. Select it and use "Export Selected User Data." This has always worked for me, whereas exporting multiple items in a list has often caused problems. The route should include any waypoints in it and they should not change.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

jfheath wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:31 pm I understand what you are saying @PaulaRay, and I appreciate the evidence that you have sent.
Here you go.... I could take a video creating a route but....that would be a little drastic.
Waypoint Action.jpg
Waypoint Action.jpg (452.26 KiB) Viewed 124 times
But I cannot see anything that confirms that a point has been created as a Waypoint.
Personally I have never had a Waypoint be changed in name (or position) from when I entered it in Basecamp - but I have a had a lot of route point names (and positions) changed for other points that I have carefully named in Basecamp - one the 595 and the XT, but not on the 590.
For a test, I eliminated everything under comments for every waypoint on that route to see if that was conflicting with the name changing. Gave that a try which didn't help. I then connected the XT to my MacBook Pro and transferred it to Device.... Same results.

I use a PC, not a Mac. That may be a difference.
I did as well for many, many years using MapSource. My 276c was the most awesome GPS I ever owned.... LOL. I went from that to the 595LM and now the XT. "I really miss MapSource." I did 5000 mile trips without any worry about limitation in regards to waypoints.

I wonder if you would mind sending me by PM the gpx file of Day 15 360mi - or create one from BC with just that route if you sent a whole load of data at the same time. I've been quite admanat in the past that Waypoints do not get altered - because it has never happened to me. So this might be a first. I'll be able to tell from the gpx file.
I've never sent one before. What is the best way to go about it?
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

danham wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:30 pm @PaulaRay,

You are exporting the entire "list" known as "Day11 169mi." Try this instead: select that list and in the bottom portion of the BC window, scroll down to just the route itself. Select it and use "Export Selected User Data." This has always worked for me, whereas exporting multiple items in a list has often caused problems. The route should include any waypoints in it and they should not change.

-dan

Thanks for the help.... I will definitely give that a try. I never thought of transferring that way before. I have always highlighted just one route from my list folder at a time. Thanks again, appreciate it. Ray
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

PaulaRay wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:57 pm
danham wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:30 pm @PaulaRay,

-dan

Thanks for the help.... I will definitely give that a try. I never thought of transferring that way before. I have always highlighted just one route from my list folder at a time. Thanks again, appreciate it. Ray
Followed your suggestion which ended up working out.... I deleted the Day 15 route off my SD card and re-exported using your recommendation. To my surprise, all was good upon cross checking it. I then dumped/replaced a couple more routes which was better with the exception of two waypoints. I redone those two routes but, exported them using my old method "Export Day 01" for example but, I kept highlighting the routes from the lower left window. Both routes were perfect! Filled with excitement.....LOL. I dumped all the others off the SD card and started fresh in the XT. Out of 20 routes I had 7 waypoints that were re-named in three different routes. I went into those routes and replaced those waypoints with new ones. Re-tested, now all 20 are great!! Interesting..... All I can think of is it relates to the way they're exporting. One thing for sure, highlighting the route in the lower window made a huge difference. Only other thing I didn't try was drag and drop onto the SD card with the XT plugged into my MacBook. Thank you for taking the time in helping me out! I sincerely appreciate it. Ray 👍