Tips for matching routes on two XT's

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
axamax
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Tips for matching routes on two XT's

Post by axamax »

For my summer trip I will have my main unit XT and intend taking my old unit with me as a backup. I normally run one in the standard mode (ie. Map, directions etc on display). and the seond unit showing the trip information screen.
How can I make sure they are both on the same page with regards to loaded routes?
Same software version, Same maps, Routes will be ccretaed in Basecamp and transferred.
Any other ideas.
MotoToph
Has liked: 26 times
United States of America

Re: Tips for matching routes on two XT's

Post by MotoToph »

Include same routing options/avoidances on both devices. I keep all avoidances off.
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 202 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I'd include the track on each device and verify similarity. That way, as a precaution, regardless what the route may do on a device the exact track will never change.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 291 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I wonder what the chances are of one XT recalculating and the other one not, or each recalculating differently. It would not be difficult to load the route on both devices and then compare them for consistency before riding, but once on the road, I wouldn't rely on the trip information on device 2 if a recalc occurs on device 1. I don't know what indication you would have of a recalc occurring on device 2 with just the trip information screen showing.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 293 times
Been liked: 635 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

In addition to the comments provided above ...

To be absolutely certain of getting similar results, you would need to wipe out your riding history completely. You may need to return both devices to their original state.

Its also a good idea to load a track of each route and make that visible on the screen as well as the map. The track marks the original route so you can see whether or not the route has altered.

But there is another factor. You cannot have the same phone connected to two XTs at the same time.

Traffic info comes via Garmin Drive and your XT may be set to adjust routes according to received data.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
axamax
Has liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

Thanks for the tips.
It's not the end of the world if there's a slight difference. I'll add the tracks and clear travel history though. Pity Garmin drive can't cope with two units though.

Axamax