Share Route With A Friend`s Xumo XT2

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Toblerone
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Share Route With A Friend`s Xumo XT2

Post by Toblerone »

Hi, newbie here! Out on a ride yesterday I met with a friend, put a route together on my Zumo XT2 and then wanted to transfer this route to his Zumo XT2. Usual thing, sat in a car park looking baffled, trying different methods, not getting anywhere so eventually gave up and he followed me. Does anyone know how we could have done this without having to complete a PhD in IT beforehand????
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 28 times
Canada

Re: Share Route With A Friend`s Xumo XT2

Post by technoguppy »

Yes but you're not going to like the answer...

You need to use the Garmin Tread App. However, no one should be using the Garmin Tread App. Complete sh!t.

If you are inclined to take a risk, you would export the route from your Tread App, share the .gpx with your friend via email, Bluetooth, text, whatever. If they are lucky (read as dumb enough) to have Tread App installed, they can import it into their unit.

I cannot state this strongly enough. DO NOT INSTALL the Garmin Tread App.

In this case, you are much better to have your friend follow you.

This, of course, is my opinion. I believe it to be accurate based on my experiences (and they are vast) with the Zumo XT2 and Tread App.

If you are worried about losing him, share your location (temporarily) using Google Maps or something similar. At least they will be able to find you on a map.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
Toblerone
Great Britain

Post by Toblerone »

Thanks, I have uninstalled Treadz since reading the posts on here although prior to this I found it impractical to use. I much prefer Basecamp (yes I am that side of the `marmite` debate!) so will crack on with doing what I've done before. There has to be a workaround with tansferring routes but it sounds like it might be a looooong job!
Eltjo
Has liked: 1 time
Netherlands

Post by Eltjo »

share it via sd-card
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

What a shame that sharing via Bluetooth between devices is gone on the XT2. On my XT, that feature states that it is for sharing between XT devices but I have successfully shared to a Nav VI several times.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 658 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That is a surprise.

Still - there must be a way.

Without knowing about the XT2 and Tread, I could suggest a way for the XT and Explore.

If you have Explore enabled, it is possible to share things by setting a collection to be visible by 'Mapshare'

Is there a way that this could be used. You would probably have to set it up first - eg have one of your collections set to be visible using mapshare. You can add things to your colelction from your Zumo - which then makes them visible. For the XT2 it would mean having the equivalent of Explore (Tread?) set up on your Zumo. Assuming that this feature still works. I wouldn't use this method simply becasue I would net to set up Explore (again). I don't like it - but that doesn't mean its no good. It just means that I don't want to use it !

The other alternative is to have the gpx files in a location where you can access them from your phone. Then email them to your friends phone.
Again - it needs preparing before-hand. You have to have access to your routes so that you can email the gpx file.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC