XT2 Removing Stubborn Waypoints

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
dhwalt
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

XT2 Removing Stubborn Waypoints

Post by dhwalt »

On M1 iMac + MacOS Ventura 13.5
Zumo XT2 - data/routes/waypoints cleared from memory & Storage - no saved Locations - no saved Trips - cold restart (red button).
When connected to Basecamp then the XT2 has a single waypoint 001 at my home location.

Tried various: delete all GPX files - then the various Resets - Reinstalled maps - Reinstalled Basecamp and 001 persists. This XT2 001 waypoint is only visible when the XT2 is connected to Basecamp so an annoyance only. It can be used to build routes on the XT2 from within Basecamp. Live with it or is there a method to remove it?

Thanks Dave
sussamb
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 360 times
Great Britain

Re: XT2 Removing Stubborn Waypoints

Post by sussamb »

001 is your last parking spot, you can if you're determined to remove it do so using Windows Explorer and looking in the GPX folder on your device.
dhwalt
Great Britain

Post by dhwalt »

Thanks for the reply. This suggestion appears not to work for the XT2. I had already done that using Win11 + MacOS and it will only work until the XT2 is restarted, cached data is written back to the newly created Current.gpx + Position.gpx and you are back to square one.

Dave
dhwalt
Great Britain

Post by dhwalt »

This works for me but does require that you keep gpx backups on your local desktop storage:

Build/Edit your routes in Basecamp.
Backup to your local storage.
Copy to the Zumo storage.
Use the Zumo import procedure.
Delete all GPX from Zumo storage i.e. GPX routes along with the Zumo generated GPX files.
Basecamp should now have a clean list of Zumo routes + waypoint 001 - no multiple instances of waypoints or routes.
Basecamp - avoid attempting to edit the Zumo route files as this will generate multiple route/waypoint copies - best to only view.
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 658 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I used to have this for ages and spent a long time trying to find out where it was coming from.
I don't have it know, and I don't know what I did that got rid of it. (Edit Oh no, it is still there in BC I have just become better at ignoring it Not on the XT though).

Places where data can be hiding away.

1. On the SD Card in the Garmin/GPX folder. The XT cannot delete files from there.
2. In Internal Storage. The only files that are part of the Nav system are:

For keeping the tracks of where you have been 'recently':
CurrentTrackLog.gp
Archive Folder

Your last current location - helps the satnav to locate the satellites much more quickly.
Position.gpx

For routes and waypoints (ie Favourites) in the Zumo
Current.gpx - has the current routes and waypoints - Waypoints sent to INternal Storage appear in here immdiately, routes have to be imported

temp.gpx - contains all of the data that was last transferred to Internal Storage from BC in a session without disconnecting the USB cable.

You can delete temp.gpx and Current.gpx - but you will need to cold restart the Zumo - probably twice for it to recreate new files.

Any other files that are there have some from saving routes, trips, points while using the Zumo screen, or by BT transfer form other devices, or phone transfer of emailed gpx files - via Drive (for the XT) is 'Tread' the equivalent to Garmin Drive on the XT2 for transferring traffic, weather, road junction, text, email, phone functions ??

It is possibly being transferred from Basecamp, depending on how you transfer it.

Under Device there are two options - one of which is to transfer the contents of the folder, the other is to transfer only the selected items.
For Waypoints / Favourites - there is no need to transfer them separately unless you have some that are not part of a route. Those that are part of a route get transferred with the route whether you select them or not.

(nb I have no experience with the XT2. I suspect this is the same as the XT and the few that came before it - but treat my suspicions with suspicion. I might be wrong.)

Edit

To clear out the XT I clear Routes in trip planner
Where to-> Favourites and History
Tracks or Apps->Tracks and delete them all

Then connect to the USB (not BAsecamp) and delete all of the above - but not Position, CurrentTrackLog and the Archive folder.

Then restart - and then restart again. (The second restart is only necessary occasionally).

Then check that there is no data left, and that there is nothing left to import.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

dhwalt wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:36 am Thanks for the reply. This suggestion appears not to work for the XT2. I had already done that using Win11 + MacOS and it will only work until the XT2 is restarted, cached data is written back to the newly created Current.gpx + Position.gpx and you are back to square one.

Dave
Yes, it will be rewritten if you start your device. That's logical if you think about it, it's so you can always find your last parking spot. Personally I never worry about it.
lkraus
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 121 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Turn off Travel History (or the XT2 equivalent)?
Great Britain

Post by dhwalt »

Ikraus
"Turn off Travel History (or the XT2 equivalent)?"

The XT2 has a Travel History button on the Device screen. When I first setup the XT2 Save Travel History was set to No i.e. myTrends, Tracks and Where I've Been all off from day one.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

lkraus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:09 pm Turn off Travel History (or the XT2 equivalent)?
That doesn't affect last parking place
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I don't own an XT2 but was curious about this "parking place" thing so pulled up the manual for the XT2. I can not find a mention of "parking place" nor did I find anything that gave a clue about it. Is it solely used for satellite location based on the assumption that you are turning the device on at the same point where you last turned it off?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.