Routes Prepared in MyRouteApp - Used with XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Routes Prepared in MyRouteApp - Used with XT

Post by fatfeet »

@jfheath thanks for your assistance here, I am getting to understand this machine a lot more now.

is this correct for sharing?? excuse my stupidity https://www.myrouteapp.com/route/open/6445845
Image this is the route I was playing with, the via/shaping are only named as such as I am practicing. As I wrote it has uploaded ok to the XT just no 2-5, it's got to be something I am doing.
One thought though - are you sure that you have used routing points on MRA correctly ?
Tear drop icon = Shaping Point
Hand icon = Via Point.
I did not realise this although I believe I have done by luck more than judgment.

I will rename the route and go through the process again to see if I get same result,
to achieve, we must first attempt
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

@jfheath thanks for your assistance here, I am getting to understand this machine a lot more now.

this is the route I was playing with, the via/shaping are only named as such as I am practicing. this was supposed to be in the above post, but messed it up DOH
Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 14.25.37.png
Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 14.25.37.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 925 times
jfheath
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yeah - got that OK.

That route has only shaping points - apart from the Via points at the start and finish.
If you send that using v1.2, it wont include any of the point 2, 3, 4 or 5.

But it should work sending it as v1.1

I'll get back to you.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - I tried mailing in two different ways - both from the MRA Save As menu

1st using the save as gpx v1.1 (Route Track POI) which saved the file to my computer. I right click the file and choose send to ... email recipient. And send it to my smartphone, then open it with drive and send to the XT.

The second method is Save as Email (down at the bottom of the list). This gives a different screen which asks for the email address and the type of file you want to send. I chose the same again, v 1.1 and that sends it directly to the phone. This is a lot neater, but I found that the 2nd and 3rd routes I sent in this way took 'years' to arrive.

Both produced the same results in the XT. The route came through correctly as the original with the start and end and five shaping points.

Here is the route list in the XT: Note - all the following images are in their original resolution. Click the image to see a better quality.

Paul 3.png
Paul 3.png (198.48 KiB) Viewed 913 times

The shaping points are depicted as blue circles. Via points are shown as flags. The start has a green flag, the end has a chequered flag, inetrmediate via points have orange flags. No Via Points.

Here is the same route - as you sent on MRA shown on the XT preview map

Paul 4.png
Paul 4.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 913 times

All route points accounted for - note the shaping points have smaller blue discs.

I changed points three and four to Via Points. Here are the results in the XT

Paul 5.png
Paul 5.png (206.08 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Paul 7.png
Paul 7.png (1 MiB) Viewed 913 times

Got to go. More to follow later.
...OK Back again

The facility to change the route points (MRA confusingly call them 'Waypoints' - which mean something completely different to Garmin ) was added relatively recently. I didn't touch MRA (or Tyre) for a long time, simply because it didn't make the distinction between Via and Shaping points. When they did introduce it, I bought a life membership.

The facility isn't obvious. Here is you route just after I changed points three and four to be Via Points.

Paul1.jpg
Paul1.jpg (159.8 KiB) Viewed 909 times

Note that three and four are now represented by a hand, and not a tear-drop.

In order to change them you click on the tear drop, and a pop-up menu appears. Like the one above. Here I was about to change the hand back to a tear drop. There is no option ont he po-up menu, so you have to press the button with three dots - which displays a more detailed menu as shown below.

Paul2.jpg
Paul2.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 909 times

And now another exapnded menu appears. If the point you clicked was a hand, then you get a tear drop button - as in this example. If it was a tear drop, you get a hand.

So for the XT hand means a stopping place - a Via Point.
Tear drop means - well, a marker to force the orute to through this point - just a shaping point.

I've not been over Snake Pass since last year. The last time I tried was in March, and it was closed. I went trhough Castleton and back home via Strines - now there is a road that is much improved since I was last on it - as a 16 year old kid, I decided to go out for a cycle ride into Derbyshire. That was a long day... Steep hill, gravel and potholes is what I remember. Oh and rain.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

@jfheath
as usual many thanks for your detailed info, you certainly go a long way to making sure your advice is explained in great detail.

I had a play with MRA the other day and I had already found the way to change hand to teardrop etc, it's very useful, although I did not really know the difference, at the time, and the way XT handles said via/shaping points, I am sure many readers will be glad of that info.

I have now succumbed to MRA and subscribed, albeit for a year, I am financially embarrassed at the present time so cannot afford the lifetime, although it is a very good deal at present. this is a far superior routing app compared to BC. IMHO. I have been using BC for 5/6 years on NAV V and VI.

Back to business, I renamed the route, carried out the exact same process for uploading to XT, (saving>exporting>emailing>drive-app>upload xt) as I had the first time and low and behold the shaping points are now there. I cannot explain why this differs from the first time.

Can I just confirm, when you make, your words "track-trip" does this have shaping points once it's converted. I did this, which is a revelation BTW and there only seems to start and end. but I presume after reading all the threads, it never deviates from the original route.✌️
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for the comment - I'm glad it is helping. I don't mind putting in the effort if somebody finds it useful ! Some of this stuff I will add to my set of notes that are here. These cover a lot of stuff that you never knew that you wanted to know !
fatfeet wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:40 am Back to business, I renamed the route, carried out the exact same process for uploading to XT, (saving>exporting>emailing>drive-app>upload xt) as I had the first time and low and behold the shaping points are now there. I cannot explain why this differs from the first time.
It is possible that your mouse slipped as you were selecting v1.1 and you actually selected v1.2. This keeps the route intact, and retains all of the Via Points, but it doesn't send the shaping points to the XT. That is OK if you have auto-recalc turned off. If you have it turned on, then there are no shaping points to shape the route if the XT decides to recalculate the route.
fatfeet wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:40 am Can I just confirm, when you make, your words "track-trip" does this have shaping points once it's converted. I did this, which is a revelation BTW and there only seems to start and end. but I presume after reading all the threads, it never deviates from the original route.✌️
Track-Trip is a term that I used to distinguish a Trip that has been created by using the Zumo's ability to create a trip from a track, from the trips that can be created or loaded into the XT's trip planner app. The latter involves making a trip from a start point an end point and adding a few Via Points and then shaping the route by adding shaping points. In this Context, a Trip referes to the list of points that are used to create a route. The XT then calculates the route using the points provided. (Or you can load one that has been already planned and calculated from programs like Basecamp). But that is hwat garmin calls a 'Trip'.

Now they have another 'Trip' which looks nothing like the above. It has No Via Points. It has No Shaping Points. It doesn't even have a start or a finish point. It just has a 'Begin' and an 'End'. So to make the distinction, I call it a Track-Trip ( A Track that has been converted to a new type of trip).

When navigating, the Track-Trip stays put. It never gets recalculated in the same way that a normal route can get recalculated. But if you deviate from the plotted magenta line, the satnav works out where the closest point is to the original. It then works out a route for you to get to that point and joins the two parts together. ie From where you are to the closest point on the original + the rest of the original from the closest point.

The Track-Trip gives turn by turn directions as you navigate.

To get an idea of how it does this, load a track and say 'Go!'. The track stays put, always. If you deviate, you can display the distance back to the track, and a straight dotted magenta line will be drawn to the closest point of the track. As you move, the closest point changes and the dotted line is adjusted to suit. The Track trip does something similar, but more intelligent, in that it gives instructions, and instead of the straight line, it will navigate you to the closest point.

The Track-Trip throws up interesting behaviour if you plot a route that crosses over itselves; a route that is a long thin oval or a circular routes. That is because if you deviate, it is possible that you head towards the route heading back home. If so it head for that point and will miss out a whole chunk of your planned ride.

There are also issues if when you deviate, the closest point involves riding back the way that you have just travelled, and you continue to ignore it.

mad-dawg
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by mad-dawg »

Me again.......sorry :lol:
Can I ask please John;
In your experience, If I export a track to the XT, then convert that track into a track-trip, do I have to have recalculate turned on to get the directions to get back on track-trip or does it play nicely and not recalculate just try and get one back on the planned track-trip route.
As previously discussed recalculate is a bit of a lottery in my experience so its banished to the naughty step on my XT

Thanks for your help
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No need to apologise!

I have never compared, so I don't know what it does if auto recalc is turned off.

But with it turned on, the route itself doesn't re-calculate at all. It does calculate a new bit of route to get you to the closest point on the route if you leave the plotted magenta line.

With recalc turned off, I suspect that it will do the same. I might be wrong, it would need to be tested, but the reason that I think this is that with autorecalc turned off, the XT will still calculate a new section of route in the following circumstances:

i) Skip is pressed
ii) You select Via point from the list when you start a route after pressing Go!
iii) You select Closest Entry point in the same situation

You need to get out and test this to see for yourself, to observe for yourself what it does. Give it a good chance to get it right though. Plot a route - that includes a kink as a trip track, and instead take a route that straight lines the kink. It works best if there are no other roads joining the two routes.

fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

In your experience, If I export a track to the XT, then convert that track into a track-trip, do I have to have recalculate turned on to get the directions to get back on track-trip or does it play nicely and not recalculate just try and get one back on the planned track-trip route.
As previously discussed recalculate is a bit of a lottery in my experience so its banished to the naughty step on my XT
I tried this the other day having discovered it from @jfheath the track-trip method that is.

I uploaded a route and converted it to track-trip, I had recalc turned off, I deliberately drove a different route to the one planned, the XT was silent and gave no indication as to which direction I should take to return me to the route, either by spoken word or magenta lines/dots

I carried out the same experiment using track only and it did give an indication, by the way of an, as the crow flies dotted magenta line, no spoken direction, of where the the route was in terms of distance from my location to the nearest point, this is already been documented on here.

I like you never turn recalculate on as it has, on occasion made a complete mess of my planned route. but in the case of a track-trip the route will not change, therefore to aid the track-trip, recalc should be activated, but as jf has explained in other posts, it does have gotcha's.✌️
mad-dawg
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by mad-dawg »

Thanks for the report FF
I will give it a test, if I can ever find a front tyre for the bike :roll:
The big test will be in September in Germany, they do like to close a motorway and give you no diversion to the next open junction.