Route planning frustrations!

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Route planning frustrations!

Post by sussamb »

No, they differ, but see @Stu comment above.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

What I meant was that all profiles have the same options that the user can change and save for each profile.

I was asking whether these options were set exactly the same for the two profiles.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:11 pm What I meant was that all profiles have the same options that the user can change and save for each profile.

I was asking whether these options were set exactly the same for the two profiles.
I will try it all when I get home from Wales 😁
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:11 pm What I meant was that all profiles have the same options that the user can change and save for each profile.

Now I am home I have had chance to have a look

Basically its the avoid state highways that is causing the issue I can tick or untick that box on both driving and motorcycling profiles and I will get the same results

Ticked I get a big detour
Unticked it takes me on the route I wanted

RV and trucking no matter what I do with the settings in those two it will not go thought that section of the route! it takes me all the way round and on a different route completely but I would expect it to to be honest as it has two very tight spots on the road

But all that being said the issue is within MyRoute App and you can't alter those settings on MyRoute App
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome back. Hope you had a good trip.

The recommended gpx version for transfer for the XT is gpx v1.1 (track, route, poi)

This version keep all via points and shaping points, but it contains no other information about where the route goes. (No ghost points). MRA leaves it up to the XT to calculate the route - so it uses the avoidances that are set in the XT. The Driving/Motorcycling preference isn't contained in the gpx file either, so the XT defaults to using whatever is set for motorcycle preferences.

This is no bad thing. The XT seems more likely to recalculate a route than its predecessors, so having the ghost points to keep the route in place has little advantage.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

jfheath wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:15 am Welcome back. Hope you had a good trip.

The recommended gpx version for transfer for the XT is gpx v1.1 (track, route, poi)

This version keep all via points and shaping points, but it contains no other information about where the route goes. (No ghost points). MRA leaves it up to the XT to calculate the route - so it uses the avoidances that are set in the XT. The Driving/Motorcycling preference isn't contained in the gpx file either, so the XT defaults to using whatever is set for motorcycle preferences.

This is no bad thing. The XT seems more likely to recalculate a route than its predecessors, so having the ghost points to keep the route in place has little advantage.
Thanks it was a fantastic trip 8-)

I always use gpx v1.1 for transfers I figured that out early on that v1.2 doesn't transfer the shaping points

On the zumo I have faster time calculations and avoid U turns motorways and unpaved roads

In MRA I use the calculation by HERE maps with avoid highways and unpaved roads ticked and that's the only options really in MRA

In basecamp you have an option to avoid state highways which and it was this setting thats causing the issue in MRA but you can't turn it off in MRA so the routing is all skewed!

Transferring the route to the zumo and it works fine as this setting isn't available in the zumo either
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Glad your trip went well.
Stu wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:35 am On the zumo I have faster time calculations and avoid U turns motorways and unpaved roads
In the last couple of days I have arrived at the same conclusion. The XT will go a long way out of its way to use main roads and motorways. Disallowing motorways prevents much of that behaviour. You can always add a shaping point to force motorways use - it cannot tell you to do a U turn !

Unpaved roads are also a 'must' given that the XT was initially advertised as a tool for riding tracks and trails. I've started turning that option off in Basecamp too.

I've just been experimenting with how the XT chooses its roads. And I have found yet another way that doesn't work ! I had thought that maybe there was some coding in the maps that made one road more attractive than another. But that seems not to be the case. I tried the same recalculations with the current Garmin Maps. Then tried it again with all of the Garmin maps turned off and my OSM maps turned on. OSM maps have no speed info and are very optimistic in calculating ETA. On both maps, the XT did the same trick of plotting a main road route with lots of there-and-back detours to get to the shaping points. SO whatever the XT is doing, it must be in the coding, rather than in the maps.

Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I think we need to get members to start putting pressure on garmin to fix this because at the moment it's fast becoming an expensive paper weight
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

I am reading this thread with interest. I have from advice on here and others who use XT to have all avoidances unticked, then, as I have found, there is no problem when planning and uploading a route. personally I use BC. I am quite used to it now and do not seem to have any issues.

Q. do we now think it is better to have some avoidances ticked, also, might be a sill question, in BC what are we in Britain classing as motorways, i.e interstates, major highways or state highways. might be a dumb question but I do not know the answer.

If I change the routing preferences by ticking certain aviodances will this change all my saved routes in "MY COLLECTION"
to achieve, we must first attempt
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I am one of the people that used to recommend not having anything ticked in Basecamp

The reasons for this are that this seemed to be the best for me using a 590 and 595
  • None of the avoidances set in Basecamp are sent to the Zumo
  • Some avoidance settings in Basecamp cannot be reproduced on the Zumo
  • It It was prefereable to use Route points (Shaping Points or Via Points) to force the route to take particular roads
  • Faster Time presented no surprises - it was easy to predict which the Zumo would take.
Most of the above points are still true for the XT - except for the last one.
It seems that the XT has some way of identifying particular roads as faster. And it seems that instead of working out different alternatives to find out which route is faster, it now assumes that heading for a faster road = producing a faster route.

So if you are going to set avoid motorways on the XT, it might make sense to do it on Basecamp. But I don't agree. I still think that it is better to avoid a motorway by putting in a couple of route points that ensures that Basecamp doesn't go onto the motorway. That way, the XT gets the route that you want. Avoid Motorways ensures that it won't double back having visited the point and go back to the motorway.

I suspect if I simply wanted to get to point X from where I am now, I would be quite happy with the route that the XT generates.
But if I want to follow particular roads, then I want something that will take me along the most obvious road to the next route point.

Telling it to avoid motorways is possibly the best way of preventing it from producing a route that is 3 sides of a rectangle which includes a long motorway section instead of taking the more direct 4th side. 'Shorter' would possibly achieve the same result, but shorter also takes stupid, little used roads that cut off a corner.

I no longer have a load of answers for for the Zumos. The XT seems to throw a curved ball every time I use it.
But I can plot a route and use it effectively to take me on the roads that I want to ride. It still tries its best to get me lost though.

I need to get back to Tiphaine at Technical Support. I had a whole laod of issues that I sent and which we had conversations about. I want to know what is happening with them.