Imports failed. Does that mean internal memory is full?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Re: Imports failed. Does that mean internal memory is full?

Post by jfheath »

So check that the XT that is connected is the device that is listed in the drop down box at the top of that Dialog.
Mine says (Zumo XT ( Unit ID 33445566778899)
You can find your device ID on the XT by selecting Settings -> Device -> About Unit ID is shown on the third line down.

If they are not the same, then that is your problem. You could check whether BAsecamp knows about your device and switch it.
Or Apply to all devices.

Next check your map on Basecamp has the one that matches the map on your Zumo.
Check that all of your routes are set to use the motorcycle profile, and that the profile contains no avoidances and is set to faster time.

Then recalculate all of your routes. You can select all of them in one go. Right click and Recalculate Selected routes.

(If your routes in your list or your list folder are all mixed in with tracks and waypoints, then select the filter for routes - little icon at the bottom left. Select all of theose routes, right click, recalculate selected routes.
Don't forget to put the filter back to show all, or you will wonder where everything has gone.

After that, check that only the maps that you want are selected on the XT in MyMaps

Report back.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:38 pm So check that the XT that is connected is the device that is listed in the drop down box at the top of that Dialog.
Mine says (Zumo XT ( Unit ID 33445566778899)
You can find your device ID on the XT by selecting Settings -> Device -> About Unit ID is shown on the third line down.

If they are not the same, then that is your problem. You could check whether BAsecamp knows about your device and switch it.
Or Apply to all devices.
They match
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:38 pm Next check your map on Basecamp has the one that matches the map on your Zumo.
My routes were created in Basecamp with same map that is on the XT.
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:38 pm Check that all of your routes are set to use the motorcycle profile, and that the profile contains no avoidances and is set to faster time.
This could be the problem. In Basecamp I have avoidances enabled for:
Unpaved roads (this one is a must for me)
Cable Cars
Narrow Trails
Carpool Lanes
Date and Time Closures
Climbing Paths

On the XT, of the avoidances listed above only Unpaved roads and Carpool Lanes are available to select, and the are.
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:38 pm (If your routes in your list or your list folder are all mixed in with tracks and waypoints, then select the filter for routes - little icon at the bottom left. Select all of theose routes, right click, recalculate selected routes.
Don't forget to put the filter back to show all, or you will wonder where everything has gone.
I am familiar with these filters.
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:38 pm After that, check that only the maps that you want are selected on the XT in MyMaps
Can there be too many? I have them all selected except TopoActive PS for Central America. Here is the list of selected ones:
CN NA NT Foursquare 2023.10
National Parks v2
NA DEM
TA PS Americas North 2021.20
CN NA NT 2023.10
CN NA NT Parkopedia 2023.10

A map update became available while I was looking into this. I am thinking that it would be best not to update until I return from my trip.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The problem would occur if you have two NAVIGABLE maps that cover the same area in which you have routes.

Parkopedia and Foursquare are databases of locations - I think.
DEM is a digital elevation file
TA is a Topographic Map rather than navigable - I think that they add on the extra surface detail to the display.

The only one that raises a question mark is the National Parks v2 - but only because I haven't got a clue what that might be.

In theory - whatever you send to the XT from Basecamp, it will be accepted as the route to navigate no matter what.... Providing that the maps are the same and it doesn't think you have changed nay of the XT's routing preferences between loading it and using it.

None of the avoidances that you have sent from Basecamp will be transmitted to the XT - it will never see them. BUT if something does cause it to recalculate, the XT will come up with a very different route from the one that you sent it. That is why I recommend having no avoidances set in Basecamp.

If you need unpaved roads to be avoided, set it in Basecamp and also set it on the XT. That way the two at least have a chance of coming up witht he same thing.

But the question remains - why is it recalculating the route ??? Unless it is not the route that it is recalculating but the number of waypoints that you may have used - all of those have to be located in the route file and stored. For one of my routes that will casue it to calculate for a few seconds. If the route recaclualtes it can be 30 secs to a minute. Sometimes longer. Also if your route has more than 29 Via Points - it will be trying to split the route into a number of shorter routes - but that gives a warning message.

I am out of ideas.

There is one test that you could carry out to see if the XT is actually recalculating your route on transfer or if it is just organising its data.

Pick a 'square' with corners at A B C and D. Create a route with a start at A and and End at D. Insert shaping points to force the route to go to points B and C, rather than the more obvious route from A to D.

Now in Edit / Options / Device Transfer - select Strip Shaping Points.
Transfer the route to the XT, and import it.
Look at the route - there will be no shaping points at B and C - but does the route still go through them ?
If it does, the route has not been recaclculated.

Now force it to recalculate the route by changing the routing preference. Eg Shorter Distance. Then back to faster time.
Look at the preview map. That is what it would look like if it had recalculated on transfer.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:51 pm The problem would occur if you have two NAVIGABLE maps that cover the same area in which you have routes.

The only one that raises a quetion mark is the National Parks v2 - but only becasue I haven't got a clue what that might be.
I had researched this one. It contains the navigable roads within national parks. Worst case, it should only cause calculation of routes that go through a national park (I have two).
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:51 pm None of the avoidances that you have sent from Basecamp will be transmitted to the XT - it will never see them. BUT if something does cause it to recalculate, the XT will come up with a very different route from the one that you sent it. That is why I recommend having no avoidances set in Basecamp.

If you need unpaved roads to be avoided, set it in Basecamp and also set it on the XT. That way the two at least have a chance of coming up witht he same thing.
Which I have.
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:51 pm But the question remains - why is it recalculating the route ??? Unless it is not the route that it is recalculating but the number of waypoints that you may have used - all of those have to be located in the route file and stored. For one of my routes that will casue it to calculate for a few seconds. If the route recaclualtes it can be 30 secs to a minute. Sometimes longer. Also if your route has more than 29 Via Points - it will be trying to split the route into a number of shorter routes - but that gives a warning message.
Your time references indicate that mine is doing a route calculation. Some take around 20 seconds, most take 30 seconds to 1 minute, one takes several minutes. All have less than 20 waypoints.

The good new is that I have finished overlaying the imported routes on their tracks and do not see any discrepancies.

I have captured your test suggestion and may do it sometime but I now feel pretty good about what I have on the XT. I think I will mount it on the bike and not touch it again until I load the route for the first day.

Thank you for your help and determination.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You are welcome - even though we don't have an answer.

You may want to send the gpx files from basecamp to your phone. Then you have the originals that can be sent to your XT should the need arise.

Re national park. You may be correct that only those areas will be affected. I cannot confirm that. I only know that if two navigable maps for the same area are selected, it causes issues. But every time that as happened I have been in that overlapping area.

I hope you have a great trip !

Raf
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

Great trip peobody!!
Let us know how it went!!
Good luck and have a good time.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:50 am You may want to send the gpx files from basecamp to your phone. Then you have the originals that can be sent to your XT should the need arise
That's the reason, why i always(!) put my routes on the sdcard and not into the internal memory of my Zumo XT! If needed, i can import it again from the sdcard...

I also wish @Peobody a nice trip without any troubles - we're driving to the dolomites in southern tyrol for ten days next monday... 8-)
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Raf
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

For safety I import in the Zumo and in an SD card that I keep in the suitcase.
:mrgreen:
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks for the well-wishes!
Day one is done. 405 miles (652 km). Uneventful! :D No recalcs were attempted though.

BTW: I have routes and tracks in internal storage, and on the SD card in the XT, and on a laptop travelling with me.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

SD card and Android tablet for me!
Colin
BMW R1250RS