Frustrating last hour of ride with XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Frustrating last hour of ride with XT

Post by jfheath »

skellum wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:54 pm Frustratingly, on my Mac I can see the Garmin kmtf file is there in Themes using AFT, but I can't actually access it to add/alter anything as JFH had described.
Short answer - you need to copy the file that you want to change to your computer, edit that and save it back.

That is not unusual. Because you are connected by USB, the connection in normally made using Media Transfer Protocol - This includes the XT. This protocol is safer for the casual user - it means that if you unplug the cable without first formally 'ejecting' the device, there is no risk of losing any data.

The downside is that you cannot open files to edit on a Media device (like the XT) and save the changes.

You have to take a copy to your computer, edit that and save it back. Although it is very good practice (ie sensible) to give it another name so that when your editing attampts don't work as intended, you have the original to work with.

The relevant bit was there in my post above. I've made it bold - it's easy to miss if you just skim through the contents, like most of us do.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
skellum
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by skellum »

Brilliant, thank you for that, all done now ready for a test.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:46 pm I have played with modified map themes and am surprised by how the width of the track line varies with the zoom. When set with "MAP_TRK_CLR" scale = "3.00" the track line slightly exceeds the route line in width when zoomed in. This is appealing. However, the further out the zoom is the wider the track line gets, eventually becoming disturbingly large to me. This is based on tests from my recliner. Actual use may change my opinion and my "disturbingly large" may not be yours.

I tested a "MAP_TRK_CLR" scale = "2.00" but with that setting, the track line eventually becomes invisible as you zoom in. This explains why John settle on "3.00". Note: Track width is set to Widest.
Can you explain to me how to do this part of the instructions? " Then open it up in a text editor."
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:33 pm Can you explain to me how to do this part of the instructions? " Then open it up in a text editor."
Once you have copied the Garmin.kmtf file from the XT to your PC, rename that copy to Garmin.txt. Open it with a text editor, edit as desired, save it, rename it (something like "RB Garmin.kmtf", then copy it to the XT.

Alternatively, you could right click the copied file in a files explorer and use "Open with" then select a text but that then has the potential of associating all .kmtf files with whatever text editor you chose so I prefer to rename it to a .txt file before editing.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If you have a PC, then use Notepad as your text editor.

What @Peobody said works perfectly well, but much easier is to open Notepad and than drag and drop your ktmf file into notepad - if you are familiar with how to use a mouse to do that. It will then it will save as it is.

If you don't have a PC, then you need someone who can speak iOS !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
skellum
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by skellum »

If you wish to do the same on a Mac, this worked for me.

Connect the XT to your Mac, open up the XT drive using the AFT app (Android File Transfer app)
Then following Jfheath's excellent instructions above, select the correct file to copy and drag & drop the file to your desktop.
Once there, right click the file and use 'open with' to select your Mac's TextEdit app.
Carry out the alterations as per Jfheath's instructions and save back to your desktop.
Then right click the file, click rename and remove 'copy' from the filename, change the file extension from txt to ktmf and then just drag the file back in to the same map folder you opened in AFT.
Close AFT and all should be sorted.
Apox
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Apox »

I and a two of my friends have also the same problem with the new Zumo XT.
When I don’t stay on the planned route, the device doesn’t want to re-calculate a new route but wants to go back. This sometimes takes a very long time and the distance to the destination sometimes increases considerably before the device re-calculates the route.
Off-Route Recalculation is set to Automatic and and U-turns are avoidable.

Anyway, the device will occasionally calculate very strange routes, even if the fastest route is set and there are no avoidances.The route calculated by the device is not always the fastest option
The former 590 worked logically and so did 390,395 models at least. The routing for this latest XT model really doesn't seem to work at the moment.

Here are three examples where the XT refuses to re-calculate new route and just wants to go back to the route it has already calculated. Then, for information, there are no waypoints or shapingpoints near them in these situations. So, they do not affect to device routing. Settings Motorcycle, fastest route, U-turns are avoidable.

1: Garmin XT 53km driving time 49min, Google 26.2km driving time 27min.
2: Garmin XT 44.1km driving time 39min, Google 31.9km driving time 25min.
3: Garmin XT 39.3km driving time 34min, Google 21.4km driving time 23min.

A Few times in a re-calculation situation, the device has indicated that it is no longer able to route a new route at all. At the same time, the route has completely left the active mode. In these situations, there would certainly have been routes available. In a few cases, other devices have never had problems in the same places.

Hopefully anyone who has had a problem with their device will contact Garmin product support in their area. My own case is already pending.
Last edited by Apox on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum !

Earlier on in the thread, this issue is discussed. As yet, we haven't been able to come up with a reason or a solution. The problem has been reported to Garmin, but anyone else doing the same without reference to what has been said before, I'm sure will help to encourage them.

There are two issues. One is that faster time no longer takes the fastest route. It seems to head for the major roads - and will go a long way in order to get to one. That is just the algorithm that is used. It makes no sense to me, but I guess it must save a lot of processing time.

The more significant issue is the other one that you describe - the satnav does not always calculate a route to the next route point when you deviate from the route. Instead it seems to take you back to where you left the route - or to the point where it last gave you an instruction to go back to it. However, put in a single destination, and it does exactly what you would hope.

Currently. the only suggestion I have is to not allow recalculations and display the track as well as the route. If all else fails, restart the route and let it start at either the next Via Point, or the closest entry point.

But let Garmin know of the issue. Someone may have the email address at hand. It might be support at garmin dot com. But wait for someone to confirm that.

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have sent an email to the Product Support team that helped me with my warranty replacement. I don't know whether that team specifically handles hardware replacements or other issues as well. If I receive a favorable response or an alternate contact suggestion I will post the appropriate contact info.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Apox
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Apox »

jfheath wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:13 pm Welcome to the forum !

Earlier on in the thread, this issue is discussed. As yet, we haven't been able to come up with a reason or a solution. The problem has been reported to Garmin, but anyone else doing the same without reference to what has been said before, I'm sure will help to encourage them.

There are two issues. One is that faster time no longer takes the fastest route. It seems to head for the major roads - and will go a long way in order to get to one. That is just the algorithm that is used. It makes no sense to me, but I guess it must save a lot of processing time.

The more significant issue is the other one that you describe - the satnav does not always calculate a route to the next route point when you deviate from the route. Instead it seems to take you back to where you left the route - or to the point where it last gave you an instruction to go back to it. However, put in a single destination, and it does exactly what you would hope.

Currently. the only suggestion I have is to not allow recalculations and display the track as well as the route. If all else fails, restart the route and let it start at either the next Via Point, or the closest entry point.

But let Garmin know of the issue. Someone may have the email address at hand. It might be support at garmin dot com. But wait for someone to confirm that.
Disabling automatic recalculation is not the right option for me. The device will then still not work as it should and will cause unnecessary hassle, especially in large cities. In addition, the total undiscovery of a route when trying to calculate a new route is also a big problem.

Customer support for Garmin is country specific.
Ex.
Https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?produ ... sandroutes

https://support.garmin.com/nb-NO/?produ ... sandroutes

In the Express program, the link took you to the US page, but from there, complaints are forwarded to your own territory.
There is no direct email address, but those linked pages have call, chat or email options at the bottom.
You can get a direct e-mail by asking if you want to send screenshots to support, for example.

For me, the product support worked at least well and has been contacted by phone and email a few times. The case is progressing, but there is no solution yet. But a week has just passed