Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Transferring routes via the Drive app

Post by Peobody »

The below quote is from an unrelated discussion but the subject is one that I have recently tested and wanted to comment one.
jfheath wrote: There are a couple of ways of getting the route into the XT, all of which are under the save menu.
  • Create a gpx file and download it. Your android/Ios will save it in its download area - wherever yours is located.
  • Send it by email. This is particularly useful when using A PC with no way of talking wirelessly to the XT. E-mail it to your phone. Open the attachment in Drive and send it to the XT. Much quicker than transferring via USB cable, less wear and tear ont he USB socket, and this method by-passes the issues with temp.gpx. Routes are stored in separate files in the Internal Storage/GPX folder, so they remain their unti you delete the file. This makes itpossible to delete your trips in trip planner, knowing full well that they will be there to import again.
The fact that you can not, from the XT, delete any route transferred to it via the Drive app should be considered not only from the value of it being available for import again, but from the detriment of it not being easily removable. A transfer via the Drive app is written to the Internal Storage/GPX folder on the XT with a filename in the form of "shared_from_phone_<date>_<time>.gpx". Additionally, if you submit multiple routes and/or tracks to the Drive app at one time they are written to the XT combined into one of these .gpx files. The functionality of getting routes onto the XT via the Drive app is great but best I can tell, when you do so with a route that you then decide you want to remove, it is a challenge to delete it from the XT. Hopefully there is a trick that I haven't discovered.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Transferring routes via the Drive app

Post by jfheath »

I don't think so, not on the XT.
I think that it has to be done by USB cable through a file explorer.
But at least the filenames make it easy to identify the correct file.

I'm quite pleased that they cannot be removed from the XT screen. The sensitivity of the screen changes (with temp, and other things), and it is very easy to have it recognise a button press before your finger touches. Apart from that, it safeguards against me deleting something in a moment of clumsiness (moments which seem to get longer wth every passing day).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:57 pm I don't think so, not on the XT.
I think that it has to be done by USB cable through a file explorer.
But at least the filenames make it easy to identify the correct file.
Deletes definitely need to be done by USB cable through a file explorer but I don't see how the filename helps identify the correct file with only a transfer date and time to go on. Are the filenames of routes transferred to your XT via Drive not in the format of "shared_from_phone_<date>_<time>.gpx"? Perhaps this is the result of me having to "Share" the file on my iPhone with the Drive app. The "open with" references I have seen on this forum aren't available to me.
Regardless, I was surprised to find that a transfer of multiple .gpx files at one time resulted in them all being in one transferred file. Could this also be a result of the "Share" process?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:02 pm Perhaps this is the result of me having to "Share" the file on my iPhone with the Drive app. The "open with" references I have seen on this forum aren't available to me.
I think this must come from email the route to a phone - which is the method that I have been using. I then open the email and select the attached gpx to open with drive. I can't remember having used the share facilty - mainly because if I email it to my phone, the copy is there permanently until I delete it - and I can also pick the same email up on my PC - which is handy for inspecting the text in the gpx file, and also for importing into Basecamp.
Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:02 pm Regardless, I was surprised to find that a transfer of multiple .gpx files at one time resulted in them all being in one transferred file. Could this also be a result of the "Share" process?
It sounds feasible. I don't know. I will revisit this. I'm currently looking at the conundrum of different results between MRA v1.1 and v1.2 - triple checking that my observations are as I reported them in different transfer scenarios

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.