Can not delete previous routes transferred

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
jaywitherspoon
United States of America

Can not delete previous routes transferred

Post by jaywitherspoon »

I am using a Mac if that makes any difference. The problem is that in Basecamp I transfer a route. Then later I transfer another (make another version of the same route, maybe different. And so on...

The problem is that when I go to Trip Planner and select Import there is a large list of imports. I understood the imports were stored in temp.gpx and I have deleted temp.gpx and go to import, the same list exist. Right now I have no GPX file my card GPX directory. I have cleared the routes from the GPX directory on the GPS (which included temp.gpx). I turn it off and back on, go to import and the list of old routes is still in the import list...

How do I clear that list of routes available for import? It is like this is stored in some internal area we cannot access...

Any help in getting a clean import list would be appreciated!

Jay
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: Can not delete previous routes transferred

Post by rbentnail »

I've never owned your model but on with the 3 different ones I have owned, there is no need to do the computer file delete thing:

if in the Internal Storage of the device but not imported, using Base Camp I pick Internal Storage in the top left pane. Routes show up in the bottom left pane. Pick to highlight and press delete.

I always say this too- NEVER have Base Camp and Garmin Express running at the same time. One or the other, never both.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jaywitherspoon
United States of America

Post by jaywitherspoon »

Ah, when I look at the device data by selecting the GPS in Basecamp, those routes are listed. However, when I attempt to delete them it says Basecamp cannot delete the files and I must disconnect and delete them in the GPS. Of course, at this point I have no idea how to see that list in the 396... But that is encouraging to see them in Basecamp, I am not going crazy they do exist!

And I was running both Basecamp and Express at the same time... thx, will not do that anymore.

Jay
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Imported routes have to be deleted from the Zumo screen.
Ditto favourites and History.

Then do a cold restart - long press the power button and select the red off button on the screen.

Then with USB cable attached, get rid of any gpx files in Internal Storage/GPX AND the memory card/Garmin/GPX **

(Take backups first if you need to keep them.)

You can keep position.gpx and currenttracklog.gpx. But current and temp can both go.
Then when you unplug, let it restart and then perform another cold restart.

** I don't know the 39x devices, but this should sound familiar to you.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jaywitherspoon
United States of America

Post by jaywitherspoon »

I have tried to find where to delete these transferred routes, but cannot find some type of file management on the GPS... So, I decided to start over by doing a "Delete Data and Reset Setting". Was guessing that would cleanup the files. When I restarted it ask for language, etc. like a new GPS. However, when I went to trip planner and selected import, the files were still there! And there was no SD card installed, so it was not looking there.

If I have to delete them from the GPS, can anyone tell me how to do that on the 396?

Thanks for all the help...

Jay
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You need to do it from your computer - connected with a USB cable.

What computer do you have ? PC or Mac ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jaywitherspoon
United States of America

Post by jaywitherspoon »

I have a mac and have Garmin Express installed but do not see where I can delete files in Express. When I have Basecamp running with the GPS installed, it says I cannot delete the files. Is there some other app I need to delete the files when it is connected to my computer?
Thanks!
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

You don't use Express to delete route files. Close Express. Completely. Do not ever run Express and Base Camp at the same time, some goofy stuff will happen.

Now step 1, have you deleted the routes on your gps?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jaywitherspoon
United States of America

Post by jaywitherspoon »

I have deleted all saved routes (that were actually imported), in fact I have reset the device and with the option to remove the data. There is no SD card in the GPS, so they are not coming from there. I am not talking about the saved routes, these routes appear on the import option of Trip Planner. And I now have 43 of them. So, it is like they are in some hidden area on the internal filesystem. These are routes I have transferred to the GPS from Basecamp over months. None ever go away... There are no .gpx files in the Garmin/GPX directory, but they show up when I try to import.
jaywitherspoon
United States of America

Post by jaywitherspoon »

Well... I opened a ticket with Garmin and evidently it is a problem with my GPS...

"Unfortunately, If you are unable to delete the route by deleting the contents of the Trips folder and the temp.gpx in the GPX folder, the device would need to be exchanged. Please reply with the serial number so we can verify the cost of doing so."

Thanks for all the attempts to help.

Jay