mapsource question

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
zumo665
United States of America

mapsource question

Post by zumo665 »

I have just starting using mapsource to create a route on my 665. I know in basecamp when you use a shaping point to make a route you can right click and turn off the alert. In mapsource you use via points to create a route (shaping and via points or different I know) whenever I come up to a via point my 665 always says approaching is there a way to turn off alerts. Again I just started all of this custom route stuff and using both programs. I thank you for any help.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: mapsource question

Post by jfheath »

Mapsource does not make the same distinction between alerting and non-alerting points that is made for the Zumos that use Basecamp and have the Trip Planner App.

I cannot answer your question precisely as I no longer have an earlier Zumo. But when I did there were all sorts of mixed messages floating around, so I carried out my own investigation into how the 660 behaved with routes created on Basecamp or Mapsource. Via Point on MApsource and in teh 660/5 did not have the same significance that it has now.

You may find the attached document to be of use. It was never finished off, as I traded the 660 in for a 590 before I got chance. Take it as it is. It may reveal something of the behaviour of these devices.
Attachments
Zumo 660 Behaviour.pdf
(919.2 KiB) Downloaded 868 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

The problem that I encountered with shaping points on my Zumo 550 or 450 was that you couldn't ever recalculate the route. What I found, again for my 450/550 was that if I placed the point on the route EXACTLY at an intersection then the point would not be announced. But, these points would all get "lost" if I recalculated the route. I don't know if the 660 would behave the same. What I do now for my 450/550 is place the points immediately after the intersections. This allows the directions to be for the upcoming turn, and then right after the turn is completed, the via point is announced and passed leaving distance and directions for the next turn available.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
zumo665
United States of America

Post by zumo665 »

I’ll try what has been suggested. I thank you all for your help.