Converting a track to a map

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Random Dave
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Converting a track to a map

Post by Random Dave »

Hi Everyone, longtime lurker first time poster. Sorry if this has been asked before but I was not able to find it in a search.

I have run around our trail network out back a few times and built a nice track with all the trails and cut offs. How do I turn this into an overlay that is superimposed on the aerial view map I have uploaded? Maybe also adding in some notes and names?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Converting a track to a map

Post by jfheath »

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum.

You would need to Geo-reference the photo ie pin-point the precise location (lat, long) of a few selected, identifiable locations on the photo and then use software that would be able to use that to draw the image and the track together. I have some software that would do this, but I probably wouldn't do it like this.

It might be easier to use Google Earth to display the track - you would have to convert whatever format your track is stored (I assume GPX) into KML format and load it in. I think this would be the best option.

Or use Basecamp to display the track and download the Birdseye imagery.

Or download Birdseye imagery to the XT, and view the image on that.

A more primative method would be to display the track plotted on a very basic map and take a screenshot Identify and mark on the map the points which correspond to four points on the photo - the 4 corners would make the it a bit easier. Then use graphics software to paint out the unwanted markings on the map so that the track can be seen on a single coloured background. You can then superimpose the track on top of the map. The software would need to have the ability to distort the photo so that the four corners lie on top of the corresponding points that you marked on the map. (Or distort the map to match the 4 corners of the photo). The software would also need the ability to make the background colour of the map transparent

The problem is that although your photo of the ground is rectangular, the area that it covers is not.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Random Dave
United States of America

Post by Random Dave »

Thank you, I will try the google map method. Once I get the track to show up as an overlay to the aerial photo I assume I can then upload it as a combined birdseye image to the Zumo?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I don't think so. But why would you want to ? You can load areas of Birdseye imagery onto the Zumo anyway. That gives you overhead satellite view and also renders it as a 3d image. You can then load your route or track in the normal way.
But that isn't what you asked ( or I misunderstood ).

Hang on - I'll find a picture.
84027051-4351-4941-A36A-0B26F69B1B11.gif
84027051-4351-4941-A36A-0B26F69B1B11.gif (62.9 KiB) Viewed 844 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Random Dave
United States of America

Post by Random Dave »

Perhaps I am explaining this wrong. I just want to turn this track into a semi-transparent layer that can be pasted over an aerial photo of the area that can be used as birds eye images in the gps. It needs some editing and I guess it would be nice if it could be something the gps recognizes as roads but i'd just be happy with a marked up map.

Edit: The area this track encompasses is about a hundred acres not counting that long tail on the left.
Attachments
Timmyland trails.jpg
Timmyland trails.jpg (86.06 KiB) Viewed 816 times
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If they exist as gpx tracks or routes then the program I mentioned above will create a transparent map for you.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I wouldn't have a clue about how to do that.

I could get a semi-transparent track to show on a satellite image.
But how you get that onto the Zumo screen.....No. I don't know.

Theres a facility for custom maps, but I haven't got a clue how to use that either - although I have made my own georeferenced maps for other mapping software. Not navigable though.

Random Dave
United States of America

Post by Random Dave »

sussamb wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:20 am If they exist as gpx tracks or routes then the program I mentioned above will create a transparent map for you.
Is it possible to edit it first? I have to get rid of some lines I accidentally created like the two straight grey lines on the right. I forgot to shut off the tracking then turned the unit on at home so it made a beeline right to the house. Not sure what the other one is pointing to but I'd like to get rid of those and a few other similar oopses.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Yes, of course - take any program you like (e.g. Basecamp) and manipulate the track as you like - save or export it as .GPX file and use it with the program sussamb mentioned to create a transparent map...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)