Power Cable Install Issue

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
kato1204
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Power Cable Install Issue

Post by kato1204 »

Hoping someone can help me out…attached are pictures of my install. I essentially just wired the Zumo power cable to some “wiring pigtails” and connected it to the KTM Acc2 wires which provide power when the bike is turned on. Multimeter shows power is flowing up to wires just before the volt converter that I heat shrinked. GPS does not show its charging when bike is turned on and connected to the dock. Also, multimeter shows no power to the gold prongs on the dock.

Problem is…this is a replacement wiring kit…I had the same issue with the original one that came with the unit. What are the odds I received two bad wiring/power cables??

Anything I appear to have done wrong? Any suggestions for further troubleshooting? Thanks!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (310.59 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (288.31 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
kato1204
United States of America

Re: Power Cable Install Issue

Post by kato1204 »

I just tried soldering the wires together that were under the heat shrink. I’m getting approx 12.5V from the wires leading to the volt converter…still nothing after that.
raza
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Slovenia

Post by raza »

Did you try to connect directly to the battery?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Turn the Zumo off.

Put it into the cradle.
Turn the ignition on.

If the Zumo is receiving power, the screen will spring into life.

Otherwise - it looks like everything is OK from what I can see.

The only things that springs to mind ....
Is the polarity of the wiring correct? I can see that you have red connected to light red/pink. But is the original pink actually positive ?
It is an assumption that I have learned from experience is not a safe one to make.

Test each wire to earth - with the ignition on

Stupid suggestion, but possible: Did your battery go flat between testing there was voltage on the original cables and reconnecting the Zumo cradle. My battery lats 10 minutes before it is dead with ignition on - that's because there is no headlight switch. They are on all of the time.

Impertinent suggestion. How are the wires in the heat shringk connected ? I usually get a bulge in mine when I twist the bare cables together. I usually solder and grease them though so that may be the difference.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
kato1204
United States of America

Post by kato1204 »

Omfg…it was the polarity. Thank you!!! Red goes to red/black and vice versa. Man… the amount of time I spent trying to diagnose those issue. Thanks again!
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Glad you found it! Now you see why there's a minus sign on digital multimeters, eh?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
kato1204
United States of America

Post by kato1204 »

I rarely do anything electrical (clearly)…I consider it a good lesson in multimeter 101, hah.
PhillH
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by PhillH »

Good to hear that the voltage converter is protected from reverse polarity. Thanks for doing the test for us.