Editing a Route Created from Track?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Bryan
Has liked: 6 times
United States of America

Editing a Route Created from Track?

Post by Bryan »

I'm curious. Both the Zumo and Basecamp have the ability to create a navigable route from a track. But, editing the resulting route will recalculate the route and, in most cases, destroy the intended/desired route.

Why doesn't the track to route conversion process insert via points to ensure that the resulting route can be edited. Seems this would be technically or programmatically possible and relatively easy.

Is there a work-around to creating an editable route from a track that I've not yet discovered. (I'm new to Basecamp and Zumo XT.)

thanks!
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Editing a Route Created from Track?

Post by sussamb »

Well it's impossible to insert viapoints to ensure an edited route follows the intended track as no one but you knows what that would be ... or am I missing something in your question?
Bryan
United States of America

Post by Bryan »

The Track-Trip generated from the track includes turn-by-turn instructions. Why couldn't the developers programmatically insert a Via Point within a few feet following the turn? Might not always be perfect, but could provide a good starting point to an editable route. (But, I'm first to admit I may not be understanding this correctly.)
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You could make that suggestion here https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/
Bryan
United States of America

Post by Bryan »

Thanks. I've submitted this suggestion.
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I gave up on the Create Route from Track method because it is so hard to edit, especially when it is a loop. I display the track in Basecamp, select the New Route tool and click on the track at several points in order from beginning to end. Clean up the result with a switch to the Hand tool and drag (with ALT key) the resulting route as needed so that it covers the spots where the track peeks out. Drop the route in an intersection to produce non-alerting shaping points, drop between intersections to produce alerting via points. No need to create actual waypoints just to force your route to the desired path.
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I have a few tools that have attempted to create routes from tracks. None of them are particularly clever about the way the go about it. Some simply convert every track point to a route point. One that I have asks you how many route points you want to create. If you ask for 11 (10 sections) and there are 2,000 track points, it then creates a new gpx file by copying every 200th track point and writing it as a route point. I thought this was in Basecamp, but I can't find it now.

The result is very crude. It cannot make decisions about where the point is placed on the map as the track gpx file does not have that information stored. By far the easiest method is as @lkraus described, and I have used that in the past to recreate a lost route from my track logs. I prefer not to put points on or near junctions though, and deal with shaping/vias later.

If I want the name to be retained by the Zumo, the the only way to do that (for the 595 and the XT) is to create a waypoint. Otherwise the garmin will probably rename it.

But apart from recreating a route from an old tracklog, I don't come across many situations when this facility would be necessary.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.