Trip planner issue

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
r1owner
United States of America

Trip planner issue

Post by r1owner »

Hello,

New Zumo XT user here and having a bit of an issue with the trip planner app.

When I go into the trip planner app I see a blue spinner all the time. I've done a factory reset and it still persists.

I've attached a screenshot of that I'm seeing... Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this?
167903.png
167903.png (112.97 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
TIA
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Trip planner issue

Post by sussamb »

That would normally indicate you've sent a route to your zumo and its trying to import it. Sounds like it's stalling at that point. Have you added any gpx files containing routes to your device? If so I'd delete them and see if that resolves the issue?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I haven't seen that before.

Check that Explore is not set up. Where To->Explore - if you get a screen with two blue buttons and 3 icons, it isn't set up. That would be good - because it may be trying to communicate via your phone to the server otherwise.

If it is showing that circle when you first load up Trip Planner, you may not be able to delete trips until it goes away. How long did you wait ?

Some ideas.

1. Remove the memory card. It may be trying to read trips from there and failing. See if that works.

2. If that doesn't work, then connect the XT to a computer and use a file explorer to navigate to Zumo XT->Internal Storage->GPX

Delete temp.gpx
Also move any routes that you have transferred that appear in that folder to somewhere on your computer so that you don't lose them. You will recognise them by their name.
Its OK to keep Current, CurrentTrackLog, Position gpx files.

Unplug the Zumo. Let it start up and then power it off with the button on the back. And let it start up again.

See if any of that works, and let us know.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
r1owner
United States of America

Post by r1owner »

sussamb wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:26 am That would normally indicate you've sent a route to your zumo and its trying to import it. Sounds like it's stalling at that point. Have you added any gpx files containing routes to your device? If so I'd delete them and see if that resolves the issue?
Before the factory reset, I did try to transfer a GPX file to the Zumo via Garmin Drive and I never did see the route appear.

I figured the reset would clear any of that out.
r1owner
United States of America

Post by r1owner »

jfheath wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:31 am I haven't seen that before.

Check that Explore is not set up. Where To->Explore - if you get a screen with two blue buttons and 3 icons, it isn't set up. That would be good - because it may be trying to communicate via your phone to the server otherwise.

If it is showing that circle when you first load up Trip Planner, you may not be able to delete trips until it goes away. How long did you wait ?

Some ideas.

1. Remove the memory card. It may be trying to read trips from there and failing. See if that works.

2. If that doesn't work, then connect the XT to a computer and use a file explorer to navigate to Zumo XT->Internal Storage->GPX

Delete temp.gpx
Also move any routes that you have transferred that appear in that folder to somewhere on your computer so that you don't lose them. You will recognise them by their name.
Its OK to keep Current, CurrentTrackLog, Position gpx files.

Unplug the Zumo. Let it start up and then power it off with the button on the back. And let it start up again.

See if any of that works, and let us know.
I will do this when I get time later today.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
r1owner
United States of America

Post by r1owner »

Well, I checked the GPX folder and the only files in there were Current.gpx and CurrentTrackLog.gpx.

On a side note I also cannot get the simplest route from Garmin Explore to calculate on the Zumo (any more). I currently have 17 routes in there with only about 10 of them actually able to calculate, the rest just say unable to calculate.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Suggestions.

Do you have additional maps - such as OSM on your device ?

Have you checked that you have the required maps ticked in Setting->Map & Vehicle->MyMaps. If you have OSM maps, untick them if they cover the same area as the Garmin maps.

Check your Avoidances in Settings->Navigation - they may be confilicting with where your points are palced on the map. Zoom in on the Explore site and make sure that all of your points are accurately placed.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
r1owner
United States of America

Post by r1owner »

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I deleted all the routes (10 of them!) that were not able to calculate and then it was able to import from basecamp just fine. No more spinning circle on the trip planner.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for the update @r1owner . Glad that you got it sorted.

I haven't seen this behaviour before. For my own future reference, can I ask....

Were the routes in internal memory or on an SD card?

So after using the XT to delete the routes, were you able to reimport them without connecting to Basecamp;
Or did you have to transfer them again from Basecamp before you could import them ?

Just trying to work out where the problem was.

r1owner
United States of America

Post by r1owner »

jfheath wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:57 am Thanks for the update @r1owner . Glad that you got it sorted.

I haven't seen this behaviour before. For my own future reference, can I ask....

Were the routes in internal memory or on an SD card?

So after using the XT to delete the routes, were you able to reimport them without connecting to Basecamp;
Or did you have to transfer them again from Basecamp before you could import them ?

Just trying to work out where the problem was.
They were all internal (I don't have an SD card in the device).

I tried to email a KML file (from google maps) and use garmin drive to import it and I think it failed thus causing the infinite spinner in the trip planner.

I was using Explore to create the routes not basecamp at the time, so once I deleted them from the XT on the next sync they were gone. I didn't have a ton of time invested in those routes yet as they were pretty roughly laid out for editing later in Explore.

Which brings me to (and perhaps this should be a question in another section), what is the preferred method to get routes into the XT? Forgive my ignorance, but this is my first GPS device and I just got it. :)

I like the collections options that Explore provides. It looks like with basecamp it just shows up in the trip planner so it can be a pain to find a route if you have a lot I imagine.

On the garmin Explore site you don't see the actual route on the screen. I much prefer seeing the actual route in basecamp before moving it to the XT.

Does anyone know how basecamp calculates the route? Does it use the processor on the Zumo XT to calculate the route?