BaseCamp routes creating straight lines in my Nav V

Having problems with your BMW navigator 5? then please post here with any sat nav, software, mount or cradle problems.
Wapping123
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

BaseCamp routes creating straight lines in my Nav V

Post by Wapping123 »

When I create a route in BaseCamp and send it to my Nav V it arrives badly corrupted. This is something I have never seen before on a regular basis.

To save time, may I refer people to this thread in UKGSer which explains the problem:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthrea ... n-my-Nav-V

You can go from the opening post fast forward to about post #38 and then pick up on the problem.

I am a long term user of BaseCamp and Garmin products, considering myself fairly proficient in their use and foibles. But this problem really has me and others stumped.

If anyone has any ideas or can help, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: BaseCamp routes creating straight lines in my Nav V

Post by sussamb »

Sorry but unable to follow such a long thread at the moment, but it seems the device is displaying straight lines/weird routing? The obvious answer would be different maps being used between BaseCamp and the device, in which case force the device to recalculate the route. The second possibility is having 2 different maps selected covering the same area, eg a Garmin CN map and an OSM map.
biglew55
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by biglew55 »

Have you reviewed the properties for the Route (probably called Trip) in the Nav 5 to make sure they are still set to the proper mode (Auto/Moto/Direct/etc.), and the preference for each (Fastest/Short/Etc.)? I have some routes transferred from Basecamp into Garmin that have incongruencies in these settings and show straight lines. Adjusting causes recalculation.
Last edited by biglew55 on Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Wapping123 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:34 pm When I create a route in BaseCamp and send it to my Nav V it arrives badly corrupted. This is something I have never seen before on a regular basis. ......................................

If anyone has any ideas or can help, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
In 2020 I posted a problem with my 450 and 550 showing random straight lines on the devices, even though the routes were perfect when viewed on Mapsource or Basecamp. I was never able to determine WHY it was happening, but the solution was to recalculate the route on the Zumo device after it was imported to the device. The catch is, you have to have sufficient points on the route so that when you recalculate it, it will stay with the roads that you intended. If it changes the roads selected, then you have to place Via Points so that it doesn't switch to other roads.

There were two topics that I ran on this,
viewtopic.php?t=929
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=931

Since the problem that I was having involved the 450 and 550 which uses Mapsource, I had to use Via Points to fix the road selections. The Nav V may work out with a recalculation with shaping points instead. I am not sure about that.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hi Richard.

I'm trying to reproduce the last time that I saw this happen, and find the conversation that I had with someone about it. Last night I transferred a route in Spain onto my 590. The route plotted with straight lines on the preview screen.

It turned out that none of my installed maps were ticked. Just ticking the map had no immediate effect but Forcing recalc fixed it.

I selected the Europe maps and tried again. The routes installed as normal with the preview following the plotted.
I tried the other maps. I have OSM Europe and a 3D map. (Each time I deleted the route from the Zumo screen and re-imported it. I didn't transfer it again). No matter what I did, it would not show the map with the straight lines. Even with no maps selected, even with all of them selected (Osm covers the same area as the Garmin maps and often causes issues if both are ticked) even after a cold restart.

Next thing is to clear out the 590 completely, get rid of temp.gpx and the other clutter. See if I can get the straight line route again.

Most odd. I cannot get my 590 to go wrong !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.