Problem after reinstalling Basecamp

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Milu23771
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Italy

Problem after reinstalling Basecamp

Post by Milu23771 »

Hello forum, I had to format the PC and then reinstall Basecamp and the maps that I downloaded again from some sources, like FreitzeKarte, Altervista (or something like that) etc .. Anyway all maps based on OSM, since the Dutch generic site OSM gives no sign of life anymore, besides obviously having transferred the City Navigators from the Zumo XT. Yesterday I created test routes with different OSM maps, transferred them to the SD card, but upon import, the Zumo said "unable to calculate route". Instead, I was able to correctly transfer routes created with the Zumo connected to the PC, by selecting the maps of the navigator. This makes me think that I should update the maps on the navigator. Now I wonder why before I could create routes with any cartography and then navigate them with Zumo, regardless of the map enabled, CN or OSM it was, instead now if I don't use the same maps it doesn't calculate. Thanks to those who will be able to give me some tips. Ciaoooo
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Problem after reinstalling Basecamp

Post by sussamb »

I can't recall exactly as it doesn't ever affect me but there is a setting somewhere in BaseCamp I seem to recall that stops a route being recalculated when sent to a device. If I'm right then you may have had that selected in BaseCamp prior to your reinstall. Hopefully someone else will know for sure.
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

To stop a route being recalculated in Basecamp.. select 'Edit' from the tool bar, then 'options', then 'Device Transfer'.

Under 'Transfering Routes' tick the box that says.. 'Always match route to the map on my device when transfering'.
Milu23771
Italy

Post by Milu23771 »

I tried this too, but the problem persists. Now as soon as I have some time, I will try to update all OSMs on the navigator and install the same versions in Basecamp. Thanks anyway for the advice.
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Check in Basecamp - make sure that your route uses the motorcycle profile, and that the profile is set to faster time with absolutely no avoidances ticked. Doing that gets rid of a whole lot of other possibilities for the error.

Also make sure that your preferences for the motorcycle on the Zumo also have no avoidances set up.

Actually, In Basecamp I would untick everything in the Edit - Option - Device Transfer screen. You want it to take your route as it is.

Also on The Zumo in my maps, make sure that there is nothing else ticked apart from the OSM map that you are using. See if that makes a difference.
If that works, then add other items - but one at a time. Try again. Somewhere there may well be a conflict.

I get the error that you are describing if I have the original garmin maps ticked a well as the OSM maps.

If you get it working, then force your route to recalculate by (say) changing the vehicle used for the route to a car, then back to a motorcycle.
OR change the route from faster time to shorter distance, then change it back.

Just to make sure that it will recalculate.

Just a final check - your error message is when you transfer the route - not when you import it, load it into the Zumo and click 'Go!' ??

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Milu23771
Italy

Post by Milu23771 »

In fact the transfer from Basecamp to SD card on Zumo happens regularly, the problem occurs when I try to import the transferred paths. The answer is "Impossible to calculate the route", or at best the calculation advances up to a certain percentage and then crashes. But everything works if I calculate the route with the Zumo connected, using one of its maps, for example Freitzekarte Alps. The same Freitzekarte Alps is also installed on the PC, yet if I use that it gives me the error.
I forgot to answer your other question, that is, yes, I only enable one map at a time, or CN, or Freitzekarte, or OSM mouse, never at the same time. Thanks for your interest. Hello
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Les wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:16 pm To stop a route being recalculated in Basecamp.. select 'Edit' from the tool bar, then 'options', then 'Device Transfer'.

Under 'Transfering Routes' tick the box that says.. 'Always match route to the map on my device when transfering'.
I'm prepared to be proved wrong - but I disagree. Ticking that box forces the route to be recalculated when it is transferred to the Zumos.
I prefer to leave all of those boxes unticked.
If the route still recalculates on transfer, then that is usually due to the map on the Zumo being different from the map in Basecamp. They have to be identical.

I haven't noticed that it has any effect on the route being recalculated in Basecamp - but then I always have that box unticked. I think it is a good idea to deliberately select the map and press the Recalculate button in the route dialogue box before transfer.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

jfheath wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:08 am
Les wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:16 pm To stop a route being recalculated in Basecamp.. select 'Edit' from the tool bar, then 'options', then 'Device Transfer'.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong - but I disagree. Ticking that box forces the route to be recalculated when it is transferred to the Zumos.
I prefer to leave all of those boxes unticked.
If the route still recalculates on transfer, then that is usually due to the map on the Zumo being different from the map in Basecamp. They have to be identical.

I haven't noticed that it has any effect on the route being recalculated in Basecamp - but then I always have that box unticked. I think it is a good idea to deliberately select the map and press the Recalculate button in the route dialogue box before transfer.
That's fair comment, to be honest, though I know how to use Basecamp, I never do, much prefering Mapsource, so have never put it to the test.