Maximum Size SD card

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Maximum Size SD card

Post by jfheath »

Rofor wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:21 pm You're right that normally a unit should not be powered on while inserting a card, but especially with the Zumo XT here in some german forums users are reporting, that, just like sayed in the post before, the Zumo XT asks for formatting the microsd-card, when it is inserted while the unit is on...
I came. across this snippet on the official Garmin Support pages just yesterday. Insert the card with the XT turned in, it will ask if you want to format it. I haven't tried it myself. I just tucked the information away for later use.

I wish there was a decent index to the help pages.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

BradB. wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:41 pm I have my SD card formatted FAT32 but it isn't recognized on the XT unit. I've double-checked the card formatting and the fit inside the XT.

Have you got the card locked into place?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:11 am I came. across this snippet on the official Garmin Support pages just yesterday. Insert the card with the XT turned in, it will ask if you want to format it. I haven't tried it myself. I just tucked the information away for later use.

I wish there was a decent index to the help pages.
I've asked this question several times, does the XT do this? My 595 does and my nuvi did so I was curious. With my 595, I insert the card then turn the unit on and wait. And wait. And sometimes wait more. But it always asks if I want to format the card.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The 590 / 595 have the memory card slot in the battery compartment. You have to remove the battery to insert the card and the battery door has to be properly closed before it will fire up.

So I assume that it is impossible. But I may be wrong, cos I have never tried.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BradB.
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

Richard_R wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:38 am
Have you got the card locked into place?
Yes, I'm pretty sure it is. I laid the card in the slot with the notch shaped like the card, then pulled the metal slider over it. It all seems pretty solid.
Somebody help me....I'm lost! :o
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

BradB. wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:30 pm Yes, I'm pretty sure it is. I laid the card in the slot with the notch shaped like the card, then pulled the metal slider over it. It all seems pretty solid.
I would double check that. Looking at the XT from the rear, with the power wsitch top right. The card is locked when the metal slide is pushed to the left. If you look closely there is the word 'OPEN' etched on the lower part of the metal slide - pointing to the right.
Oh - and the word LOCk etched (upside down) on the top side of the slide, pointing to the left.

Just mentioning, I'm sure you have this right. It just seemed odd to me once I had worked out that my slide wasn't broken. Actually it was broken. It came off in my hand. Honest.

BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

Yep, I did it a couple more times and pretty confident I got it right. I guess I will purchase another SD card and start again. Grrr! This XT is testing my patience. I spend hours researching some action that should be simple and intuitive. Deep breath. Deep breath.
Richard_R
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

BradB. wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:56 pm Yep, I did it a couple more times and pretty confident I got it right. I guess I will purchase another SD card and start again.
Not having the card locked is a cause of music breaking up if you have it stored on the card but that is not your issue at the moment.
I have a 64GB card and had all sorts of issues getting the XT to recognise it. I formatted it a couple of times in my Mac using different formats and none worked then finally broke out my work Windows laptop and eventually tried FAT32 which did work. Garmin seem to think much of the advise required for peripherals to work is state secrets that sort not be easily found by users as far as I can see.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

FAT32 has been a Garmin standard for years. 32Gb cards and below by default are FAT32, those above are not but will work in Garmins if reformatted.

I'm surprised you had issues with your Mac as I'd been told that unlike Windows it can natively format larger cards to FAT32 whereas Windows cannot. As I've never needed cards larger than 32Gb that could be wrong.
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

^^^^^^Thank you both for your input. I only have Mac's here at home but I will see if my wife can try a format on her Windows computer at work. It seems Garmin wants you to really work hard to use their stuff. Sheesh!