Transfer favourites from on 550 to another 550

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
OldEssexMan
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Transfer favourites from on 550 to another 550

Post by OldEssexMan »

I use my 550 daily and have no desire to "upgrade" to a newer model. I have acquired a spare 550 from a friend and would like to transfer the favourites from my 550 to my "new" one. I have searched but cannot find a way to do it, I would be grateful if someone could let me know how it may be done.
Regards & thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: Transfer favourites from on 550 to another 550

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Do you still have MapSource on your PC? I believe you should be able to save the favorites from your 550 to MS and then send them to the other one.

I have to agree with you. The 450 and 550 have a bright easy to read screen and still work very well.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The 550 will allow you to share routes and favourites by sending them to the SD card.
Where To->Favourites->Share

The same sort of facility exists for routes as well.

You then remove the SD card and put it in the other machine where you can access the shared files.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can do it simply by copying current.gpx from one to the other, note though you must rename it to something other than that on the second device, temp.gpx for example. Reboot the second device, check the favourites are showing and then delete temp.gpx
OldEssexMan
Great Britain

Post by OldEssexMan »

Thanks for your help. I was a bit flumoxed by not being able to find a file/folder named 'favourites' but, thanks to Sussamb, now I know it's actually called 'current' I should be able to progress.
Cheers
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

OldEssexMan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 am Thanks for your help. I was a bit flumoxed by not being able to find a file/folder named 'favourites' but, thanks to Sussamb, now I know it's actually called 'current' I should be able to progress.
Cheers
I should have added you'll find current.gpx in the GPX Folder ...
OldEssexMan
Great Britain

Post by OldEssexMan »

Okey-dokey, computer numpty here! I connected my old 550 to my laptop, opened the GPX folder and copied 'Current' to my laptop. I disconnected my 550 and renamed the file now on my laptop as 'Temp'. I then connected my new 550 to the laptop and transferred 'Temp' to the GPX folder on the 550. I then deleted the existing 'Current' file on the new 550 and re-named 'Temp' as 'Current'. I then disconnected the 550 from the laptop, opened Favourites and saw the message, 'no information available' Ah ha I thought, I probably have to import the new favourites, so I went to User Data - Import Data - Favourites and saw all the old favourites that had been on the 550 previously, no sign of the ones from my 550.
I'm stuck now. Is what I'm doing not the way to do it, if so what is?
Thanks for your patience!!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No, don't delete current.gpx and rename temp.gpx, you must leave temp.gpx as it is and reboot your device as I explained.

Current.gpx is simply a one way copy of what's in inaccessible memory, it is rewritten each time your device boots. Before it's written it merges any other gpx file in the GPX folder into that inaccessible memory. That's why you only delete temp.gpx after you've rebooted and why it's simply not possible just to replace current.gpx
OldEssexMan
Great Britain

Post by OldEssexMan »

Thanks Sussamb, I see it all now (some of it!). Favourites transfer now completed successfully.
Cheers