Loading MRA Routes Garmin Zumo XT

Got a question about any other routing software that you use for creating routes and transferring to your Zumo? Then post in here and we will try our best to help
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Loading MRA Routes Garmin Zumo XT

Post by Stu »

I know a few people have had a few issues loading routes from MyRoute-app

Here is a write up from them

https://info.myrouteapp.com/blog-routes ... n-zumo-xt/
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Re: Loading MRA Routes Garmin Zumo XT

Post by Richard_R »

It should be pointed out that the blog post above makes no mention of computer OS. The process outlined in the post only works on Windows PCs as the Zumo XT will not mount to a Mac OS.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Can your Mac run iPad apps, or do you have an iPad? I've just treated myself to a discounted lifetime purchase of MyRouteApp, and have already managed to save an MRA route to my Android tablet, opened it with Garmin Drive and sent it to the XT via BlueTooth. I have yet, however, to sort out the differing nomenclature between Basecamp and MRA!

Edited - I've just read some useful guidance from jfheath and others on a nearby thread.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've just done the same - bought the lifetime Gold MRA - having spent a bit of time working through their new provision fo Garmin users.

We will have to share notes !

app.php/ZXT-P76

The above link is what I knew sometime before Christmas. It was correct when I wrote it, but I have yet to check - I used MRA the other day, as a one-off, and the results didn't match with what I was expecting - all of the route points ahd gone, and it presented me with a navigable track (what garmin confusingly call a Trip) - so maybe the different gpx formats are changing at MRA - or I made a stupid mistake.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
colirv
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

The former, I'm sure! I think the next task is to get to the bottom of gpx 1.1 v 1.2.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

What's the benefit of using MRA instead of Mapsource or Basecamp?
colirv
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

IANAE, but one immediate benefit I've found is that I can use it on my Android tablet and phone as well as on my PC, which is handy for touring and why I was initially interested in it. Also, its google maps option means that while plotting a route I can quickly see where I am in Streetview without having to fire up google maps. Where MRA currently falls down is in its handling of ones own POIs/Favourites, although the developers say they are working on this.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It looks like they are still developing a few things.

I just tested the routing behaviour of the various gpx modes and a couple have changed since I wrote the notes in the link from me a few posts back. I've changed the information on Page 76 of that set of notes, and it is now up to date with the changed sections pointed out in red.

A few other things that I noted while re-doing these tests.

When using the HERE maps, the route in my tests did not automatically calculate the route from gpx v1.1. It stripped out the shaping points, kept the Via Points, but the original route is kept intact - until it is forced to recalculate anyway.

Gpx v1.2 always calculates the route on the XT. MRA sends only the shape and via points. Not the route itself. That isn't the big issue that it used to be, as the XT seems to recalculate the original route much more readily than some earlier Zumos. Having that original route is not as useful as it once was.

MRA offers the option to email a route using whatever gpx format you care to specify. If you send an email to your smart phone, Garmin Drive will pick it up and it can be transferred to the XT's Tracks and Trip Planner immediately - which has to be a good feature to save wear and tear on the USB port. The whole process is much faster than waiting to connect, disconnect and reboot when using the USB cable. (You can do the same in Basecamp, but you have to save it to a gpx file first). Tracks and trips by-pass the issues associated with using temp.gpx and appear as named gpx files in Internal Memory - which makes it easier to manage and delete them when you do connect by usb cable.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

colirv wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:17 pm IANAE, but one immediate benefit I've found is that I can use it on my Android tablet and phone as well as on my PC, which is handy for touring and why I was initially interested in it. Also, its google maps option means that while plotting a route I can quickly see where I am in Streetview without having to fire up google maps. Where MRA currently falls down is in its handling of ones own POIs/Favourites, although the developers say they are working on this.
Thanks for the reply, always interested in navigation techniques etc.. regarding Streetview, this can be accessed in Mapsource (my chosen routing tool) by right clicking on any point in the mapping and selecting 'View in Google Maps'.
colirv
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Les wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:43 pm Thanks for the reply, always interested in navigation techniques etc.. regarding Streetview, this can be accessed in Mapsource (my chosen routing tool) by right clicking on any point in the mapping and selecting 'View in Google Maps'.
I didn't know you could do that! Is it a proper street view, not just a satellite view?
Colin
BMW R1250RS