Not understanding pairing my phone

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
mlheck
United States of America

Not understanding pairing my phone

Post by mlheck »

So I'm try tp pair a Samsung 20S+ to the Zumo. I have tried initializing the pairing form the phone, I've tried Initialing it from the Zumo, and I've tried using the Drive app. When pairing from the Zumo the phone shows up as a headset, media, and the Drive app. Same thing happens when pairing form the phone. If I use the Drive app then it just shows up as paired to the Drive app and media.

I've searched on here and either missed it, or haven't found an answer to this issue. Each time it fails I reset the Bluetooth to factory settings on the Zumo and forget the pairing on my phone.

What am I doing wrong?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Not understanding pairing my phone

Post by jfheath »

If it is paired to the XT, you need to have something that the XT recognises as a headset - otherwise the phone call facility is disabled.

I got so fed up with having to go out to the bike if I wanted to do some testing and setting up, that I bought a cheap £6 BT mic/headphones so that I can simulate the bike set up while at my desk. This link here.

On the bike, I have a BT module (BTM03) that plugs into my autcom. This handles all of the sound output and the telephone mic input between the autocom and my phone - a Galaxy A41. The BTM03 presents itself to the XT as a headset - whether or not it is actually plugged into the autocom.

My cheap BT headset is called GLINBT18 on the displays.

Below, two screenshots.

No headset.png
No headset.png (44.41 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

This one is before I have linked to the BT headset GLINBT18. In fact, Zumo doesn't know about it yet.
Note that my Galaxy A41 phone doesn't feature as a phone. Only Drive and music connections are established.

This is because all phone conversation - speaker and mic - have been linked to the XT and the XT is not connected to a device that has a mic and earphones.

If the phone rings in this state, I probably won't hear it.

With Headset.png
With Headset.png (41.26 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

Here the cheap BT headset has been paired to the XT. It can handle headphone stuff (speakers and mic) and music.
But note that now, the phone has got the phone handset icon. It can now be used for phone calls.

When the XT is connected to the bike, and the BTM03 nodule is paired, the BTM03 icons are blue and the GLINBT18 icons are black. I normally tell it to forget the GLINBT18 device once I have finished testing.

When I turned the GLINBT18 cheap headset off, the GALAXY A41 phone icon went black. ie it knew that it has had a connection, but it could no longer establish it. After turning the XT off and then on again, the phone icon had gone altogether - just like the top picture.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
mlheck
United States of America

Post by mlheck »

Ok, I'll pair my Cardo Paktalk also and see what happens.

TY, from a fellow STOC Member.
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

mlheck wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:21 am Ok, I'll pair my Cardo Paktalk also and see what happens.

I always connect my phone directly to the headset (for phone calls) and my headset directly to the GPS using a second connection (for GPS instructions and music).
I do not connect the phone to the headset via the GPS.
The reason I do this is because I do not always have the GPS on the bike but I always have a headset and phone and secondly I have seen other people have issues with the phone->GPS->headset connectivity when they power things up in the wrong order. You do miss out on a some features like being able to dial numbers or select from a contact list via the GPS but I rarely initiate calls when riding and I can use voice commands to ring people in my contacts anyway.
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

mlheck wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:21 am Ok, I'll pair my Cardo Paktalk also and see what happens.

Hi mlheck, It may not be much use to you but I am running the identical set up S20 +XT + Cardo and have no issues. I do not pair the Cardo with the phone, i think that is th key otherwise you get a 3 way fuddle. I use the phone function throut the XT.
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Richard_R wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:51 am
I always connect my phone directly to the headset (for phone calls) and my headset directly to the GPS using a second connection (for GPS instructions and music).
The reason I do this is because I do not always have the GPS on the bike but I always have a headset and phone and secondly I have seen other people have issues with the phone->GPS->headset connectivity when they power things up in the wrong order. You do miss out on a some features like being able to dial numbers or select from a contact list via the GPS but I rarely initiate calls when riding and I can use voice commands to ring people in my contacts anyway.
I'm exactly the same. My Senna connects both with the phone, to receive calls on the move, and with my wife's Senna, and at the same time can receive navigation instructions from the XT. That's quite enough for me!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Which model Sena is that please @colirv ?

(We seem to be following each other around !!)

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

An SMH10, so quite old. And yes, we should stop meeting like this!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
mlheck
United States of America

Post by mlheck »

JohnnyRidesAlone wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:08 am

Hi mlheck, It may not be much use to you but I am running the identical set up S20 +XT + Cardo and have no issues. I do not pair the Cardo with the phone, i think that is th key otherwise you get a 3 way fuddle. I use the phone function throut the XT.
So I'm curious if you have issues with which has to power on first? I like Bluetooth for the final connection, but hardwiring all of the beginning components seems to lead to fewer issues.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Richard_R wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:51 am

That's exactly how I do things

Way too many conflicts and issues with connection if you go out of range or turn something off.

I also had issues with call quality