planning with honda trip planner?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: planning with honda trip planner?

Post by jfheath »

That option to convert the Via Points into Shaping Points is interesting.

The XT has a bug (v6.30 and earlier). The 595 has the same bug. I can use that word as Garmin have indicated to me that it appears to be a fault.
The fault is that when it changes a Via point to a shaping point (when editing the trip list on screen) - the name of the point changes and the position is altered - it seems to move it onto a faster route.

I wonder if they spotted this when loading a trip with more than 29 Via Points - and there solution was to remove the option rather than to fix the issue - not realising that it popped up in other places ?

I wonder what my 590 does ?

Goes away for a little while.....

No - it behaves like the XT and announces that it has split the original trip into two trips.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

jfheath wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:30 am I wonder if they spotted this when loading a trip with more than 29 Via Points - and there solution was to remove the option rather than to fix the issue - not realising that it popped up in other places ?
But, here is the interesting part: - On a 396 when you telling the nav (upon uploading) to change all vias into shaping (in order to keep the route as one), it actually does not relocate the stops. Zumo will relocate the stops only when you choosing to do it on the screen map.

Look, if you use BaseCamp, how often you'll have over 29 vias? Probably never. I think that in BaseCamp you can create shaping points and maybe one or two via points if needed (pls correct me if I'm wrong). And how often you need to convert via into shaping in the unit? I guess not that often. You probably do the opposite (shaping to a via) more often.
But what if you have over 29 shaping points? Will the XT still going to divide the route?

With that being said, editing a route in the unit is a PITA. Garmin is not yet as sophisticated to do it right. I tried changing the route by adding points along the route, or changing the start or end points, and it was no joy.
I don't know if Garmin can test each and every scenario before going life, but they have to listen to us (real testers), then go recreate the scenarios and make the change. Why should it take years for it I don't know.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Fxwheels wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:41 pm But, here is the interesting part: - On a 396 when you telling the nav (upon uploading) to change all vias into shaping (in order to keep the route as one), it actually does not relocate the stops.
That puts it into the same category as the 590 then. Just out of curiosity, does the 396 have the FourSquare database on it ?
On the XT, this is in the Where To? set of apps.
Fxwheels wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:41 pm Look, if you use BaseCamp, how often you'll have over 29 vias? Probably never. I think that in BaseCamp you can create shaping points and maybe one or two via points if needed (pls correct me if I'm wrong). And how often you need to convert via into shaping in the unit? I guess not that often. You probably do the opposite (shaping to a via) more often.
No argument here. @Zumek raised an issue, so I asked the question as a possible reason for the behaviour that he described.
He hasn't responded since then - you and I seem to have hijacked his thread ! Sorry @Zumek if you are watching. Did you get your issue sorted out ?

My routes very rarely have more than 5 Via Points. Stopping places. Or to be more precise, I put the Vias on the road I want to be on AFTER the stopping place, and mark the actual stop with a shaping point. A habit from the 590 and 595. It means that if I want to restart the route after a coffee break, I can do so. The Via Point will be listed in the 'Select Next Destination' menu. On the XT there is the Closest Entry Point option which does away with the need for that - but I do like to have the data display showing so that my pillion can look over my shoulder and see how far away we are from the next stop. You can't show that with Shaping Points.
Fxwheels wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:41 pm But what if you have over 29 shaping points? Will the XT still going to divide the route?
No. There is a limit on the number of shaping points. Its a lot. 125 springs to mind. But a route with 125 shaping points ? You might as well follow a track because the satnav isn't going to be doing much navigation.

I assume that you have seen these documents that I have written ?

Zumo 590/595 and Basecamp: viewtopic.php?t=521&hilit=basecamp
Zumo XT and Basecamp: viewtopic.php?t=1464

I'd be curious to know if the 590 / 595 document stuff is relevant to the 396.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

I sure looked through all the tutorials you've posted here. Great help!
I tried to work with the Basecamp before, but after few attempts to learn it, I was giving up on the idea after few minutes. Maybe because I used to another way of doing it.
Yesterday I gave it another attempt. With your postings and in conjunction with YouTube (EZ Moto Tim is great) I figured it out. (I am a computer programmer after all :))

So I created a route and loaded directly to 396. Piece of cake. Just before I did, I had to change (in Basecamp) some stops not to be announced or they'll load as vias (flags).
The route loaded as I expected.

I have many routes created in Furkot. I download few to Basecamp as "Garmin route gpx". (Furkot gpx designed for new Garmin system), Moved to 396. No problems except longer loading time.

So I guess I'll start using the Basecamp. Will see how it'll go.

As for the 396 vs 590/595... I haven't got a chance to compare, plus 59... are discontinued anyway.
My guess that 396 is closer to the XT minus bigger/ brighter screen and few minor things.
Yes, the 396 has 4 corners app.

Sorry @zumek for hijacking you thread :)