Power Supply Wiring

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
teammotobuild
Been liked: 1 time

Power Supply Wiring

Post by teammotobuild »

Hello...is the little plastic box on the power supply of the zumo xt anything more than a collector of the power and ground wire? I'd like to shorten it way up so that the mount becomes easily removable like I did with my Montana mount. Using the same SAE trickle charger connection up by the handle bars and a ram mount I can remove the whole thing and transfer between bikes. Just want to make sure I'm not cutting a suppressor or something that's vital. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_7996.jpg
IMG_7996.jpg (207.04 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
IMG_7995.jpg
IMG_7995.jpg (234.38 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Re: Power Supply Wiring

Post by Stu »

The black box is a converter it converts 12v to 5v

The lead from that to the connector is NOT just two wires I believe its coax cable so not easy to put a connector on it
teammotobuild
Been liked: 1 time

Post by teammotobuild »

What are people doing for a quick removal of the mount for these? The montana had several wires that were more for plugging in audio etc...5 wires maybe...just connected the red/black and it works great. The zumo xt is starting to look like a return with all the extra steps to use it...not showing up on a mac desktop like all the garmins I've had prior. The mount stuck on the bike all the time is a deal breaker. Need an easy off solution.
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The Zumo mounts are is designed to be permanently fixed on the bike, and the wiring is direct to the battery using the lead with the built in 12v to 5v convertor.

The only ways that I can think of to make the mount easily detachable are:
* permanently mount the harness and put in an exposed waterproof connector in the 5v side
* is bundle the wires neatly onto the mount and have a handy 12v connector close to the mount.

Dont be tempted to use the Usb connector for power. The car mount uses this, but the vibrations on a bike will likely damage it - not to mention leaving the connector open to the elements.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

jfheath wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:59 am bundle the wires neatly onto the mount and have a handy 12v connector close to the mount.
That's what I would do, using a waterproof in-line connector.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

teammotobuild wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:16 pm Hello...is the little plastic box on the power supply of the zumo xt anything more than a collector of the power and ground wire? I'd like to shorten it way up so that the mount becomes easily removable like I did with my Montana mount. Using the same SAE trickle charger connection up by the handle bars and a ram mount I can remove the whole thing and transfer between bikes. Just want to make sure I'm not cutting a suppressor or something that's vital. Thanks!
Do a search on this thread https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-zumo-xt.1431553/ a number of the guys have modified the power lead to switch the unit between multiple motorcycles. As other people have mentioned the lead has a foil liner / coax so can be tricky to cut & solder.