I’m Totally Out of Ideas

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Tofriendscreek
United States of America

Re: I’m Totally Out of Ideas

Post by Tofriendscreek »

sussamb wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:17 am And that's correct. If you want points currently shaping points to be selectable when you hit go then change them to viapoints. You can do that in the trip planner app by touching their symbol in trip planner, they will then change from a dot to a flag.

Otherwise to get your device to follow the route select the first, not last, point. If you select the last your route will be ignored.
Alright, I will try as you suggest. For clarification, when I make a circle a flag, the 595 immediately goes to “calculating” mode. So, if I have say 40 points, do I make all 40 of them flags?
As a follow up-assuming the suggested method works, if I’m say half way through the route, stop for the night, and want to complete the trip the next day, I would open the route and make the next point a flag, hit Go, and it will follow the route as I put it in.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Whether you make one or more into flags, so via rather than shaping points, is up to you. They behave differently so you may not want too many viapoints. Note also you are limited to 30.

Yes, if for any reason you want to navigate first to a shaping point you must turn it into a viapoint, whatever the reason :)

As for calculating when you change one point the resulting route will still include all the other points.
Tofriendscreek
United States of America

Post by Tofriendscreek »

sussamb wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:26 pm Whether you make one or more into flags, so via rather than shaping points, is up to you. They behave differently so you may not want too many viapoints. Note also you are limited to 30.

Yes, if for any reason you want to navigate first to a shaping point you must turn it into a viapoint, whatever the reason :)

As for calculating when you change one point the resulting route will still include all the other points.
Your willingness to assist is truly appreciated. I’ll make a few test routes and make sure it’s working for me.

Another clarification, please: the limit of 30 you mention applies to the viapoints (flags) in each route, not the number of shaping points, correct?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Correct. I'm told you can have up to 125 shaping points between vias but I've never checked it!
Tofriendscreek
United States of America

Post by Tofriendscreek »

Just reporting back on trying the routes as suggested. In short, it worked. Change what points you want to change, pass the first point (switched from a dot to a flag) and the Zumo follows the route. I’ve tried short and long routes and both worked well. Thanks all!!’
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Tofriendscreek wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 am Just reporting back on trying the routes as suggested. In short, it worked. Change what points you want to change, pass the first point (switched from a dot to a flag) and the Zumo follows the route. I’ve tried short and long routes and both worked well. Thanks all!!’
It's kind of hard for me to figure out what people are saying, a lot seems to be contradictory to each other and the user's manual. I do know this:

I made a route with Base Camp: 154 miles with origin, 7 shaping points and the destination. I connected my 595 to my compter, waited on Express, yada yada. Using Base Camp I drag & dropped my new route to my SD card. I disconnected the 595 and turned it on. I imported the route & a preview showed exactly the route I made. When I chose Where To/Trip Planner/My Route Name, I was given 2 choices- the origin or the final destination. Since I was sitting in the parking lot of the origin, I picked the final destination.

Amazingly the 595 followed my route perfectly, even the recalculations when I A) voluntarily didn't turn and B) involuntarily missed a turn. Never a missed beat. Go figure.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Tofriendscreek
United States of America

Post by Tofriendscreek »

Any confusion may be by the words used, the program used, etc.. I myself use Myroute.app.
The suggestions offered worked for me. If I select a few of the points (circles) and changed them to flags.After I went by the first viapoint, the 595 took me exactly through the route I had exported to the Garmin.
Thanks for the suggestions. They worked for me. 👍
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:27 pm
I made a route with Base Camp: 154 miles with origin, 7 shaping points and the destination. I connected my 595 to my compter, waited on Express, yada yada. Using Base Camp I drag & dropped my new route to my SD card. I disconnected the 595 and turned it on. I imported the route & a preview showed exactly the route I made. When I chose Where To/Trip Planner/My Route Name, I was given 2 choices- the origin or the final destination. Since I was sitting in the parking lot of the origin, I picked the final destination.

Amazingly the 595 followed my route perfectly, even the recalculations when I A) voluntarily didn't turn and B) involuntarily missed a turn. Never a missed beat. Go figure.
I know that it is a while ago, but though i would post the answer to this little conundrum.

1. Using BaseCamp to devise a route is the best way to plan your route in my opinion. You have a start, an end, and 7 shaping points.

Comment. Shaping points are useful, but they never appear in the list of possible choices of next destination when you hit GO. If you have the data display showing, you cannot display 'time to' or 'distance to' a shaping point. Shaping points never alert you as you approach or arrive. If you miss a shaping point but pick up the plotted magenta route after the point, the Zumo will continue navigation to the next shaping point without nagging you to go back to the missed point. All of which may be exactly what you want.

2. You imported the route to the Zumo and it showed exactly the route that you had plotted.

Comment. Brilliant - this is what Basecamp does better than any other routing software - if you have the same version of maps on your PC and the Zumo. It does this by sending hundreds of invisible intermediate points (I call them ghost points) to the Zumo. The Zumo plays 'join the dots' to recreate the original route precisely as it was in Basecamp. There is a slight issue with these - if the Zumo has to recalculate the route eg if you deviate slightly - then the ghost points are lost up to the next shaping or via point - leaving the Zumo to work out its own route for the current section. But that is what satnavs do, if you deviate.

3. You started the route and were presented with two choices, as to where to go next. You selected your end point as the next destination.

Comment. This is the most common error with Trip Planner. The choices only show via points and start and end points, not any of your shaping points. If you select the end point, what the Zumo does is ignores any routing up to the chosen point and makes its own mind up about how to get there. It is entirely possible that it will follow a completely different route from the route it received from BC.

4. It took you along exactly the route you had plotted.

Comment. That really was Sheer good luck ! There can't have been any alternatives, because selecting the end point tells the Zumo to get you there however it likes - using the transportation mode and preferences that it has set up for the cradle that it is in. Correction. I missed the fact that you had deviated. What is happening is that in effect the satnav is not following a route at all. It is just getting you to the point you selected - the end point, recalculating at each variation from what it has worked out.

What you should have done is selected the start point as your next destination after pressing GO. However, this presents a practical problem because you may be just a few tens of metres along your route, beyond your plotted start point. The satnav will have you going back to it ! In this case, pressing Skip will make the satnav work out its own route to your next Shaping point, and then follow your planned route from there.

A much better solution is to always make the route on your map start some way up the road from where you will actually start. Eg, if you are in a town overnight, have your start point on the first road that you will travel after leaving the town - eg beyond the ring road, perhaps. Select that as your start point having pressed GO. Zumo will take you to it the best way that it can, and if necessary it will work out a new route if you are diverted in the town. But it will get you to your start point and then continue on your planned route, one shaping point ( or via point) at a time. Much better.
Last edited by jfheath on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Your last paragraph is exactly how I do it :D
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by pidjones »

This is one of the things that screwed me up on my 396, even on Basecamp-created routes. You must select the starting point (even though you may well be there) as where you want to go. Welcome to the new paradigms. Also, select Automobile, not motorcycle if that is an option unless you are going off-road. If you select motorcycle, both Basecamp and the 396 seem to ignore avoidances.