Zumo 590 + 595 & Basecamp - What the Manuals Do not Tell.

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 590 - What the Manuals Do not Tell.

Post by sussamb »

mike_walker
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 590 + 595 - What the Manuals Do not Tell.

Post by mike_walker »

jfheath wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 am I'll happily send a copy, but No PM received as yet @mike_walker . I need an email address to send it to.

The new england riders stuff is worth a look on using Basecamp. Mine deals with avoiding the issues that crop up when following a route on the 590 - and how I use Basecamp to prevent these issues from happening in the first place, and ruining my trip.
Sure - will do now as was waiting for my account to be approved. I *think* I know Basecamp pretty well - it doesn't seem to have changed since I had a Nuvi back in 2012. What I'm after understanding better is ensuring routes stay exactly the same on the device as when planned on my PC. Also, getting custom icons to show on routes rather than just flags. I've managed to successfully import custom POIs with their own icons but have so far failed to get any kind of custom icon to show up in a route.
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the 590 will do custom icons unless they are POIs. I did play around with POIs ages back with my 660 - putting in some local landmarks and getting the satnav to play tunes and recorded messages when we got within a certain distance of them. That was fun. But I lost interest in that and never tried including them in a route after I got rid of my 660 and got the 590. The 590 was presenting me with all sorts of headaches, from which came the document I am about to send.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

mike_walker wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:00 am Sure - will do now as was waiting for my account to be approved. I *think* I know Basecamp pretty well - it doesn't seem to have changed since I had a Nuvi back in 2012. What I'm after understanding better is ensuring routes stay exactly the same on the device as when planned on my PC.
IMHO you are correct. Base Camp hasn't changed much at all over the yrs. Some things that I've learned from others that help immensely:

- when you make a route, ask yourself, "if I remove any one point, will my route change?" Then check yourself with Base Camp. If it changes, you don't have enough points to maintain the route. Add more. I use a lot of non-announcing shaping points.

- after you've made your route- I'm assuming you know about the "double click route name in the list" to see route properties. This is the block where you can edit route name, route color, point properties, etc. In that box, at the top, is a tab called ROUTE OPTIONS. Click it then tick the box CUSTOMIZE ROUTE OPTIONS. You can then optimize that individual route for your needs.
mike_walker wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:00 amAlso, getting custom icons to show on routes rather than just flags. I've managed to successfully import custom POIs with their own icons but have so far failed to get any kind of custom icon to show up in a route.
I don't think we've ever figured that one out. Custom POIs yes, "standard" Base Camp chosen waypoint no.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I highly recommend jfh's manual for Base Camp. Extremely helpful with terminology and the interfacing between BC and Zumos. It really helped me a lot with my 595.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:21 pm - after you've made your route- I'm assuming you know about the "double click route name in the list" to see route properties. This is the block where you can edit route name, route color, point properties, etc. In that box, at the top, is a tab called ROUTE OPTIONS. Click it then tick the box CUSTOMIZE ROUTE OPTIONS. You can then optimize that individual route for your needs.
This is true, but generally, once you have the options that you want set as you want them, I would advise against changing them for a particular route this for the following reasons:

i) Changing the properties of (say) the motorcycle profile will cause Basecamp to go through every single route in your database that has used the motorcycle profile and recalculate it to apply the changes that you have made to the profile.

ii) Basecamp doesn't send any of the avoidances set in the profile to the Zumo. The Zumo receives only the mode of transport (eg Motorcycling) and the route preferences (eg Faster Time, Shorter Distance and Curvy Roads). 'Curvy Roads' is only recognised by the 590. Not the 595 or the XT.

iii) If the Zumo has to recalculate a route, it uses the vehicle type (Car/Motorcycle) and the Faster/Shorter option. It will use the options and avoidances that are set for the vehicle (eg motorcycle) in the Zumo.

My preference is to set the vehicle to motorcycle, and the options to fastest time. All avoidances are turned off. That seems to ensure that the Zumo creates a similar route to the one that Basecamp produced.

If you want to play around with the routing on Zumo, choose to create a Custom Profile. The changes that you make will only affect that route and it is useful to be able to see what happens. Just make sure that you set it back to use the motorcycle profile when you have finished, cos the Zumo doens't recognise 'Custom' and it will default to motorcycling anyway.

The Zumos will recognise only car (driving) and motorcycle profiles. If you set it to anything else in the profile, the Zumo will ignore it and default to its motorcycle preferences.

If the route needs to be recalculated, the Zumos will always calculate a route that joins together all of the route points in the correct order. The more route points you have, the less chance the Zumo has of selecting a different route. But the more points you have, the more of a headache it becomes if a road is blocked and you have go a different way.

I know Russ has found this to be a particular problem in North Carolina - the roads on the ground and the roads on the map seem to bear only a passing resemblance to each other. The mapping for the UK is pretty accurate in comparison.

**I've deliberately missed out off-road. It raises a level of complexity that I don't want to go into here !!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
mike_walker
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by mike_walker »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:44 pm I highly recommend jfh's manual for Base Camp. Extremely helpful with terminology and the interfacing between BC and Zumos. It really helped me a lot with my 595.
Yep - incredibly useful, informative, well written and a very easy read (if you're into that kind of thing but I guess if you're reading this then you most probably are!). The detail around route point extensions and how the Zumo recalculates vs the what you planned in Basecamp all make complete sense now. Thanks John!
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Awaiting PM !

But this isn't a manual on how to use the 595. It is a set of notes on how to get routes created with Basecamp to behave in the way that you would expect. Although the same ideas would apply to other routing programs and you will learn some useful snippets about the Zumo on the way.

So for example, I don't describe how to create a trip on the Zumo itself. For four reasons:

1 The document is about using Basecamp and the Zumo together
2 Garmin have the basic instructions covered in their manual
3 my fingers are too big and clumsy to make this a viable option
4 If Im on tour, the last thing I want is to spend my time programming a satnav. I do my planning over winter and have a 'perfect' route that doesn't throw up any surprises.

I'm more than happy to send you a pdf copy to your email address - for your use only.

jfheath
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 590 + 595 & Basecamp - What the Manuals Do not Tell.

Post by jfheath »

I've just found out something about the 595. (Presumably the 590 too). Either that or I knew but forgot. (amounts to the same thing these days !)

In the XT, you can edit a route - reorder, add new, delete existing route points whether the route is saved or active.

For a long time, I thought that this was not possibe on the 59x Zumos. Mainly I suppose because my routes have just a couple of Via points and 2-3 times as many shaping points.

In the Zumos, you load the route, or the active route, to display the route list - the sequence of route points that make up the route. In there it should be possible to tap one of the route points to get a 3 button menu underneath that route point showing spanner, a two way arrow and a dustbin. These are to edit the point; move the point to another location or delete the point.

This is possible on all route points in the XT.

Not on the 595. It really annoyed me that I couldn't edit a route once I had saved it. It turns out that you can - but NOT if you select a shaping point. You have to select one of the Via Points - or the start / finish points if you don't have any other vias. As soon as you press the double arrow the entire list changes to give the option of moving any route point to anywhere else.

But on the 595 you only get this if you first tap any point that is a Via. I guess that it is the same for the 590.

jfheath
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 590 + 595 & Basecamp - What the Manuals Do not Tell.

Post by jfheath »

I've tidied up this thread a bit in order ti make the flow of discussion easier to read.

I have removed the one off questions and answers which were from members wanting to get hold of the pdf file - which has been available as a download on post #1 for a while now.

Apologies to anyone whose posts have gone. They were mainly questions and answers which have been dealt with, are no longer relevant and they interfered with the flow of the rest of the thread. And many were mine !